DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Preventing controller from charging phone

I was expecting the controller charge to last much longer.

Android 4.3.0 and updated mavic 2 pro, no luck finding that setting in remote.
The way that I fixed the charging issue was to use a switch on the ground wire.
Switch on controller with the switch in the closed position (ground connected) this will then open the DJIGO4 app. Once the app is running switch to open( ground disconnected this will trick the app into thinking your still connected but won't charge. I tested this with my Mavic air the android phone was about 90% charged at time. If you try this please test before flying.

guys, as far as I know this option is only available for iPhone users not Android user since it is somehow blocked by the android OS.
If you have root access on your Android smartphone then you can use a 3rd party app to switch charging off

Andy

Another Question, every time i open DJI Go, charging is turned off by default. Is there a way to have it turned on by default.

No, but if you connect your phone using the bottom USB port instead of the side Micro USB port, it wont charge your phone. The bottom port is a "data only" port.

***EDIT*** SEE MY BELOW POST. DJI GO 4 VERSION 4.3.0 HAS THIS FEATURE.

Well, my tablet is connected to the bottom slot and it IS charging... and in the menu there is no way to stop it... DJI GO 4 ver. 4.3.12
Any trik since to prevent it to charge?

USB A and USB micro from Controller M2Zoom are charging Android CAT S61 200mA
Disconnecting or switching any wire of USB cable did not work in my case .
I cut only + red wire and I solder in the resistor 100 Ohm between reds in series . I have good communication with android and current now is only 10mA .
I did the same on both USB sockets of Controller, both are working exactly the same way .
I have no more problems with discharging controller

Anyone has tried to cover the power pins on the usb of the remote controller?
In this link I show how did I do the opposite many years ago (back to 2005!!!)... In that occasion I just disabled the data pins.
How to recharge the ipod battery using LiNUX

This is an easy way of disabling the +5V connection to see if it works.
Here you have the pinout of the USB2 conenctor to identefy teh +5V and the GND pints.
USB - Wikipedia

Hope this helps!

I have an S8 and my controller would be drained to near nothing while my S8 stayed 100% after one Mavic battery flight. After searching for solutions and fixes or how to root my phone to disable USB charging I stumbled upon a way to disable my USB charging on my unrooted S8 phone. This may not work for all android phones but it worked for me. All I had to do was punch up my phone pad and dial ##DATA# (##3282#). This opened a list of hidden settings to be viewed and/or edited. To edit these setting you will have to enter a six digit MLS PIN number. Mine was '000000' (default for some android phones from what I've read) otherwise you can obtain your MLS PIN number for your phone by contacting your carrier (which could be hit or miss depending on how nice they are). Once the MLS PIN number is entered you can go to the USB Charging setting in the list and disable it. My phone no longer charges from the controller and I was able to get all three of my Mavic battery flights in with 40% -45% battery left on controller and phone when done. You will need to re-enable the USB Charge setting before you charge your phone even if you charge wirelessly like I do. But it's so easy to do IF you have your MLS six digit PIN. Hope this helps some people.

I have an S8 and my controller would be drained to near nothing while my S8 stayed 100% after one Mavic battery flight. After searching for solutions and fixes or how to root my phone to disable USB charging I stumbled upon a way to disable my USB charging on my unrooted S8 phone. This may not work for all android phones but it worked for me. All I had to do was punch up my phone pad and dial ##DATA# (##3282#). This opened a list of hidden settings to be viewed and/or edited. To edit these setting you will have to enter a six digit MLS PIN number. Mine was '000000' (default for some android phones from what I've read) otherwise you can obtain your MLS PIN number for your phone by contacting your carrier (which could be hit or miss depending on how nice they are). Once the MLS PIN number is entered you can go to the USB Charging setting in the list and disable it. My phone no longer charges from the controller and I was able to get all three of my Mavic battery flights in with 40% -45% battery left on controller and phone when done. You will need to re-enable the USB Charge setting before you charge your phone even if you charge wirelessly like I do. But it's so easy to do IF you have your MLS six digit PIN. Hope this helps some people.
What is the name of the settings screen. I am trying to find the note 9 equivilent.
Also does it say " USB Charge setting " if not what exactly does it say word for word?

Last edited:
I cut only + red wire and I solder in the resistor 100 Ohm between reds in series . I have good communication with android and current now is only 10mA .
I did the same on both USB sockets of Controller, both are working exactly the same way .
Which cable did you buy to modify?
Do you have photos?

What is the name of the settings screen. I am trying to find the note 9 equivilent.
Also does it say " USB Charge setting " if not what exactly does it say word for word?

After entering ##3282# (or ##DATA#) into the phone's dial pad the hidden settings screen pops up and it only says "DATA" as a title I guess you would say. The options available to either view or edit are listed as: Data Profile, EVDO, Advanced, BSR, USB Charging, eHRPD, LTE and More. By choosing the USB Charging option you can then select 'Enable or Disable'. You will need and MLS pin number to be able to edit any options from this Data screen as I described in my earlier post.HiddenMenu.jpg

One thing I should add is DO NOT FORGET TO RE-ENABLE USB CHARGING. I'm not sure how to recover a dead phone since once you disable USB Charging you can not charge your phone by cable or wirelessly. I almost forgot but did remember when my phone battery was at 7%. It was a close call.

Last edited:
Thank you for advice , i have modified as you advice and working perfect !

Reactions: Coxi
The guy on this video suggest cutting the black wire from a usb cable to prevent the RC to recharge an android device:

Cutting a power lead in the USB cable might work with some Androids, but generally would cause the Android to not use the USB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan