DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Private Propery Drone Policies?

To what extent are private businesses, parks, gardens, etc. allowed to restrict the airspace above their property? In St. Louis the Missouri Botanical Gardens has this notice under their "Photo Policy":

Are they talking about very low level flights or are they restricting all drone activity over their property? And can they do that?

This is clearly a photo policy. I'll ask, is your purpose to fly in this area to take pictures/video? If so, they are clearly stating you cannot without their approval.
There are a lot of parks in the united states that do that.

I know of 9 here in and around Indianapolis, Indiana.

if you want to fly there, just request permission from the property manager, and if a fee is request, work out something with the manager. I have done this on several occasions here in Indiana and in other states.
I have found communicating before is the best policy. Flying and begging for forgiveness later just hurts the drone pilot image that already is not the best.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Notice that the policy in question doesn't mention drone flight. It only attempts to regulate drone photography.

The FAA regulations don't mention photography, but only regulate flight.

There is a body of intellectual property law regarding photography of privately owned works, and the publication and use of those photos. While I believe the FAA rules allow one to fly over private property, I'm less certain about your right to photograph privately owned creative works. And the publication or distribution of photos/videos may have some more difficulties.

Actually if anything can be seen from a public area it can be photographed/recorded legally, the eyes cannot be trespassed, it’s 100% legal, private property or not! They have to create the privacy! So legally in public if you can see it you absolutely can record/photograph it!!!

Policy isn’t law! Policy only applies to someone who is working for a place that has said policies! It’s akin to HIPPA law, HIPPA only applies to health care workers! It’s their responsibility to keep someone’s personal information private!

Reactions: smashse
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent