DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem ? PolarPro shutter Cinema ND 8 filter

shamus

Reactions
Hello,

After I opened the PolarPro filters case I noticed that on the ND8 that there is a clear dot, like the coating is missing in this particular place ( please check the attached picture ).
Is this an issue or not over the video quality ?
Should I request a warranty ?
I bought this pack together with the MPP from Amazon.fr
I will also attach a picture taken with the filter, maybe a more trained eye can spot something unusual.1518189910079.jpg
1518189975130.jpg

This is obviously a manufacturing/quality control error. You could request a return or swap it out if you feel that sort of thing is critical.

Because the dot is so small and so close to the camera sensor, you're likely never to notice the difference. As you see from your attached photo, trying to pick out where in the shot the small area of unfiltered light hit is beyond the average viewer. As it's a ND filter, it's only going to be slightly overexposed in the location - but the focus and other optical characteristics are going to be unaffected.

If you were a professional photographer and using the filter for paid projects, or even a 107 pilot making money on occasion, you should probably ask for a return, just for the sake of professional standards. If you're simply flying your drone for fun and personal enjoyment/videography, I suspect that you'll never notice it and should decide if it's worth the effort to exchange it. Coupled with the fact of how much you'll actually use the filter (you really don't need one with modern sensors), I would think that you and your audience will never be the wiser.

This is obviously a manufacturing/quality control error. You could request a return or swap it out if you feel that sort of thing is critical.

Because the dot is so small and so close to the camera sensor, you're likely never to notice the difference. As you see from your attached photo, trying to pick out where in the shot the small area of unfiltered light hit is beyond the average viewer. As it's a ND filter, it's only going to be slightly overexposed in the location - but the focus and other optical characteristics are going to be unaffected.

If you were a professional photographer and using the filter for paid projects, or even a 107 pilot making money on occasion, you should probably ask for a return, just for the sake of professional standards. If you're simply flying your drone for fun and personal enjoyment/videography, I suspect that you'll never notice it and should decide if it's worth the effort to exchange it. Coupled with the fact of how much you'll actually use the filter (you really don't need one with modern sensors), I would think that you and your audience will never be the wiser.

I would get a replacement! I think there’s QC may be falling! I just got the same kit and one of them had adhesive residue inside and outside the ring! I was able to clean it up but for the price of Polar Pro products they should be absolutely Perfect!

My feedback on this matter.
I wrote an email to PolarPro customer service the next day. After I explained the problem they where kind to send me a replacement filter free of charge.
That's what I call excellent customer support. Good job PolarPro.

Reactions: Herr Wizard
Wow, beautiful picture. Not sure what the problem was. Perhaps someone more photo experienced could point out.

Wow, beautiful picture. Not sure what the problem was. Perhaps someone more photo experienced could point out.
At screen resolution (and likely most print resolutions) you'd never see the aberration that defect would cause...but it IS there somewhere and if you were blowing the photo up, or knew to look exactly in the right place, you'd be able to see either blurring or ghosting or halos.

The point is, filter manufacturers charge you for a specific level of quality and you have the right to expect that. PolarPro did the right thing by replacing the unit, as it shouldn't have left their shop in the first place.

Reactions: shamus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78