DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem when visiting USA with Mavic Mini

Welcome to the forum! :)

Travelling any distance makes no difference to compass calibration.
Whether you travel 10 miles or 10,000 miles, compass calibration is not necessary.
I remember some DJI drones had forced compass calibration when moved 50km between the flights. Maybe it was Phantom? Or am I wrong?

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I've flown in 17 countries around the world and never had an issue. You stated the drone was packed in a suitcase. This was a mistake. Devices with lipo batteries must never be packed in suitcases, they must be packed with carry-on luggage. I've observed suitcases bashed around by conveyors and ground crews. This may have caused your gimble to go out of alignment.

I've had that "gimbal calibration" message issue before, & a firmware refresh fixed it for me, & I hadn't even left my house.

Welcome, & good luck!

I remember some DJI drones had forced compass calibration when moved 50km between the flights. Maybe it was Phantom? Or am I wrong?
DJI put misleading information about a need to recalibrate the compass in their manuals for years and started this silly myth.
There was no physical reason compass calibration would be needed after travelling.
Instead of coming clean with the truth about compass calibration, they doubled down and made one of their new Mavic releases force an unnecessary compass calibration after 30 days or some distance.
I think it was back around the time of the Mavic 2.

Nowdays DJI manuals have finally given up continuing the myth, but they still don't have it completely correct.
If you put the drone down on or close to steel objects, you are likely to get a magnetic interference warning that suggests recalibrating the compass.
But the compass isn't the problem.
It's working perfectly and warning you of a problem in the launch location.
No amount of recalibrating can fix that.
Powering off and moving away from the problem and starting again is the correct action.

• Wow
Hi, I visited my sister in Ohio, from the UK a week ago, taking my Mavic Mini with me. However, when I tried to launch the drone in their yard, to get an aerial photo of their house for them, the warning on my screen showed a problem with the gimbal data, advising repair necessary. However, back in the UK, there are no issues. Is it possible that the US can prevent take-off in this way?
Greetings from Colorado, welcome to the forum🎄

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15