DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems Starting to Fly

Green2

Reactions
Problem?Just got a Mavic Air and trying to fly it.

I have owned and flown a Phantom 3 for a couple of years. I recently got a Mavic Air and am having trouble getting it to fly.

Problem? aircraft won’t start or fly from Iphone/controller. Iphone will hook up to the drone wifi. After hooking up to wifi and returning to DJI Go 4, I can’t put in altitudes to return or other information. Will start and takeoff using auto T/O otherwise there is no control of drone with the controller. Drone will not go up or down or turn after taking off automatically. The only way I could get it down is by auto land. I did fly the drone twice successfully, once under the beginner’s mode and once regular mode and had no issues.

Was unit in a crash? no

What device are you using? Iphone 6S

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Newest from site.

What Go app version are you using? newest version

Any modification? its all a stock unit

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No

No Crash

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas??

I think I see the issue - hook the phone to the controller with a cable.

The old phantoms hooked up via wifi.

Here follow this video:

Reactions: Thomas B and nigel
The controller won't connect to the Mavic Air if you're phone is connected to the aircraft wifi.
You need to link the controller to the Mavic Air, then connect your phone to the controller with a cable. I'd recommend the bottom USB connection, search on this forum for why.
Look on YouTube for a video of you're still having problems or take a look in the manual

Reactions: Thomas B and Kilrah
I have my Iphone plugged into the controller. I then go to my iphone
Are you trying to use the phone only via wifi or the controller? This suggests you're not trying to use the controller.
I have my Iphone attached to the controller and hooked up with the short line going from the phone to the controller. That is when I hook my iphone via settings on the phone to the drone wifi. I go back to the DGI Go 4 app on my phone to control the Mavic Air. I then go through the items to set via my phone before flight such as max altitude, return altitude, etc. I'[m not doing something right because I can't put anything in such as return altitude, etc. I had no control over the drone except for auto t/o and auto landing. The control sticks were not connected to the drone.

Set your phone to Airplane Mode - there is no connecting up with wifi to the drone - your controller talks to the drone and your phone talks to the controller with the cord !!!

Once you connect the phone to the controller open the DJIGo4 app and then the image will appear on the app.

No wifi connection !!

I am not sure this is the same issue I had, but I recently wanted to do a quick flight without my phone. (I am also new to the MA).

The problem seemed to be the aircraft still wanted to be in wifi mode and not in controller mode.

A quick (hours lol) google and I found that I had to reset the AC back to wired mode by pressing and holding the light on the back until ONE bleep occurred. Then the controller took control. Holding until 2 beeps occur took it back to wifi mode.

Everything has been fine since.

Might be worth a go?

I think I see the issue - hook the phone to the controller with a cable.

The old phantoms hooked up via wifi.

Here follow this video:

Moose1967 you got it. That's the way I hook up the Phantom, why not the Mavic Air. Who needs instructions? That hook up to the Phantom is embedded in my brain, but you came up with the answer. I went right out and had a successful flight. I didn't understand why others asked me whether or not I was using the phone or the controller. Heck, I didn't know the difference. I thought one used both. That's what you young guys have to look forward to when you hit the 80's. Thanks for your help and all the others who sent their ideas.

I am not sure this is the same issue I had, but I recently wanted to do a quick flight without my phone. (I am also new to the MA).

The problem seemed to be the aircraft still wanted to be in wifi mode and not in controller mode.

A quick (hours lol) google and I found that I had to reset the AC back to wired mode by pressing and holding the light on the back until ONE bleep occurred. Then the controller took control. Holding until 2 beeps occur took it back to wifi mode.

Everything has been fine since.

Might be worth a go?
I did find my problem and had a successful flight, but I also learned from your post. Thanks for helping.

Are you trying to use the phone only via wifi or the controller? This suggests you're not trying to use the controller.
The problem is solved. I just didn't know how the system worked. Now OK. Thanks for replying.

The controller won't connect to the Mavic Air if you're phone is connected to the aircraft wifi.
You need to link the controller to the Mavic Air, then connect your phone to the controller with a cable. I'd recommend the bottom USB connection, search on this forum for why.
Look on YouTube for a video of you're still having problems or take a look in the manual
Thanks for your reply. I finally got it through my thick head how to set it up properly and had a successful flight.

I have my Iphone plugged into the controller. I then go to my iphone

I have my Iphone attached to the controller and hooked up with the short line going from the phone to the controller. That is when I hook my iphone via settings on the phone to the drone wifi. I go back to the DGI Go 4 app on my phone to control the Mavic Air. I then go through the items to set via my phone before flight such as max altitude, return altitude, etc. I'[m not doing something right because I can't put anything in such as return altitude, etc. I had no control over the drone except for auto t/o and auto landing. The control sticks were not connected to the drone.
Thanks for the reply, I finally learned what I was doing wrong when I realized that I was hooked up with the controller and then unhooked the controller and hooked up with the phone only still attached to the controller. I assumed from my Phantom that I had to hook up my phone via wifi with the drone. I didn't realize the controller was already hooked up and I unhooked it. Thanks for helping.

Way to go Green2 that's what we are here for - my previous drone was a Phantom 2 so I know both setups !!

Happy flying !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998