DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will turn off in 30 seconds' Issue

kei888

Reactions
Hi folks!

I just want to share my previous experience pertaining to the said error.

I encountered the 'The ''Processor chip critically overheated..." error TWICE.

1st: NORMAL turning ON of aircraft & controller only.
Solution: Reboot the aircraft.

2nd: When I applied the 'Inconsistent Firmware Update' prompt.
2.1) After applying the firmware, I got notified w/ 'Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will turn off in 30 seconds'

- The aircraft's top portion (near the GPS & vent) was really too hot after the upgrade process was successfully applied.
So I immediately removed the battery just right after the aircraft automatically Shutdown itself.

- I wasn't able to power cycle/ reboot the controller after the upgrade as process didn't prompt/ require me UNLIKE the usual.

I did the following procedure given by DJI Support which so far seems solved the issue:
1) Performed 'Restore Factory Defaults' via DJI Assistant app.
2) Performed firmware 'Refresh' (01.00.0400).
3) Calibrate IMU and Compass.

Now, I'm on 01.00.0500 firmware, so far I haven't encountered the issue.

Any ideas what's the cause of ''Processor chip critically overheated' issue?

Thanks!

Does the fan run?

On the 1st incident = Yes.
On the 2nd incident = Haven't noticed.

I did the following procedure given by DJI Support which so far seems solved the issue:

Prior to the execution of above, FAN is WORKING until now. :)

Thanks!

The fan has two speeds, and the changes are extremely obvious. When the fan is running at maximum (second stage, very audible) and if it isn't unusually hot where you are performing this, I'd say you have an issue. When I do the same, the fan kicks into high gear but I have never received an error, even after long upgrade periods going through the drone, remote, and 3 batteries with everything powered on.

Seems like you have it sorted though Thumbswayup

Reactions: kei888
The fan has two speeds, and the changes are extremely obvious. When the fan is running at maximum (second stage, very audible) and if it isn't unusually hot where you are performing this, I'd say you have an issue. When I do the same, the fan kicks into high gear but I have never received an error, even after long upgrade periods going through the drone, remote, and 3 batteries with everything powered on.

Seems like you have it sorted though Thumbswayup

"When the fan is running at maximum (second stage, very audible) and if it isn't unusually hot where you are performing this, I'd say you have an issue.
The 2nd time I encountered the issue, as I've said, I wasn't able to observe the fan :)

Though during the troubleshooting period and recent firmware upgrade I've done; two fan speeds you're referring to seems working fine with my MA :)

I can only say this as I've observed the fan's RPM seems slow during boot up and seems elevating during the firmware upgrade. Is it normal? :)

Also, as mentioned, I haven't encountered the error recently anymore.

Thanks!

As mentiond the fan has 2 speeds and it switches between them as needed. When on the ground it will typically switch back and forth every couple of minutes or so.

As mentiond the fan has 2 speeds and it switches between them as needed. When on the ground it will typically switch back and forth every couple of minutes or so.

So once you taking the aircraft on a flight fan works in a high speed keeping the hardware cool, and if the aircraft is in idle, you still hear it in a normal sounds?

Hi folks!

I just want to share my previous experience pertaining to the said error.

I encountered the 'The ''Processor chip critically overheated..." error TWICE.

1st: NORMAL turning ON of aircraft & controller only.
Solution: Reboot the aircraft.

2nd: When I applied the 'Inconsistent Firmware Update' prompt.
2.1) After applying the firmware, I got notified w/ 'Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will turn off in 30 seconds'

- The aircraft's top portion (near the GPS & vent) was really too hot after the upgrade process was successfully applied.
So I immediately removed the battery just right after the aircraft automatically Shutdown itself.

- I wasn't able to power cycle/ reboot the controller after the upgrade as process didn't prompt/ require me UNLIKE the usual.

Any ideas what's the cause of ''Processor chip critically overheated' issue?

Thanks!
Just got this error as well gonna give it a shot. YET another ridiculous glitch in MA. Who would have thought installing the latest firmware would disable your craft?

n's RPM seems slow during boot up and seems elevating during the firmware upgrade. Is it normal? :)

Yes, perfectly normal. More processing going on = more heat (just like any other computer). Also if you just leave it sitting there long enough the fan will kick into high gear because normally it relies on flying through the air to help cool itself.

Just got this error as well gonna give it a shot. YET another ridiculous glitch in MA. Who would have thought installing the latest firmware would disable your craft?
Had a go at the above method still no fan.

I experienced this exact same error about 3 wks ago. I had previously flow the MA about a month prior without any issues. Then I got these same temp warnings. I had no fan running. Troubleshot with DJI for several days back and forth, they had me send the drone back to them. They had it ready to ship back to me the same week they received it. It should be on my doorstep Monday.

I experienced this exact same error about 3 wks ago. I had previously flow the MA about a month prior without any issues. Then I got these same temp warnings. I had no fan running. Troubleshot with DJI for several days back and forth, they had me send the drone back to them. They had it ready to ship back to me the same week they received it. It should be on my doorstep Monday.

hi @mikerv9a !

So lucky I am as my fan is working? :)

Have you received the replacement unit already?

Did DJI replaced it with a brand new unit?

How's everything with the hardware? :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer