DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Programs you use in Post Processing?

DaVinci Resolve is free. I use Vegas Pro 16. Not free. Premier is a good choice, but also not free and not for sale, just for rent.
Since the question was asked, I think free will be an important component. Otherwise, he would already know the answer.

Wasn't the OP's original question about video?

Let me echo those recommending DaVinci Resolve. It has everything that you'll need and more, and the basic version is free. As with any video software, you'll need a minimum of 16 gb ram, and a i5 or 7 processor. If you get thr pro version ($300) it's a one-time charge, and not an annual subscription.

Reactions: TR Ganey
As an owner of Vegas Pro, let me just advise new users to NO EFFIN WAY should they consider this. No, I will not say why.

Since I've been on DaVinci Resolve, I haven't touched my Vegas install. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on DaVinci Resolve Studio, at which point I'll completely remove Vegas.

Reactions: TR Ganey
If you have any educational ties you can get a great ed discount on the Adobe Suite. Since you will want Premier and at minum Lightroom or Photoshop you will need to go the suite route since individual programs tend not to make sense when talking photo and video. For me Lightroom and Premier get done what I want. I haven't dug to far into After Effects because I am not that fancy (though I do have it installed with the icon staring at me. The suite does come with some audio editing tools like Audition that I tend to use from time to time.

For reference I run a surface pro 6 w/ an i58250 with intel on-board graphics (no fancy separate graphics processor) 8GB ram and all the Adobe suite work fine for me and everything renders fine.

Having the suite is super nice because it allows you the freedom to explore a whole ton of apps like After Effects and things you might not have ever thought to use before. Not to mention the Apps are always the latest for no more cash.

These are all well developed programs and you pay for that but when you think of all the subscriptions in your life and what you are willing to pay monthly for having access to top notch apps, support, and the most comprehensively web information sources, it seems to make more and more sense if you really like the computer side of things when you are not in the field flying. I am not knocking the less expensive options but they are less expensive for a reason and if that reason gets in the way of doing what you want to do then its not as cheap as it seams. No ego involved here, just my experiences.

My two cents. Toss them in the well and make a wish.

Reactions: brett8883
If you have any educational ties you can get a great ed discount on the Adobe Suite. Since you will want Premier and at minum Lightroom or Photoshop you will need to go the suite route since individual programs tend not to make sense when talking photo and video. For me Lightroom and Premier get done what I want. I haven't dug to far into After Effects because I am not that fancy (though I do have it installed with the icon staring at me. The suite does come with some audio editing tools like Audition that I tend to use from time to time.

For reference I run a surface pro 6 w/ an i58250 with intel on-board graphics (no fancy separate graphics processor) 8GB ram and all the Adobe suite work fine for me and everything renders fine.

Having the suite is super nice because it allows you the freedom to explore a whole ton of apps like After Effects and things you might not have ever thought to use before. Not to mention the Apps are always the latest for no more cash.

These are all well developed programs and you pay for that but when you think of all the subscriptions in your life and what you are willing to pay monthly for having access to top notch apps, support, and the most comprehensively web information sources, it seems to make more and more sense if you really like the computer side of things when you are not in the field flying. I am not knocking the less expensive options but they are less expensive for a reason and if that reason gets in the way of doing what you want to do then its not as cheap as it seams. No ego involved here, just my experiences.

My two cents. Toss them in the well and make a wish.

This is my thinking too. I would have never paid for it individually but since it came with my subscription I tried out Adobe Illustrator and now it’s invaluable to me. Same with Adobe Audition though that one is probably overkill what what I use it for.

Oddly enough acrobat pro is now a must for me. Filling and signing and edit in PDFs without conversion huge for a teacher like me.

I use CyberLink Power Director. Works great! No issues with 4K and H.265.
I'm surprised that more people have not mentioned Cyberlink PD. I'm not a proficient photograph or video editor by any stretch of the imagination but have used PD for video editing for a few years and it seems logical in use. There is also a sound editor, a screen recorder, and a wave editor (whatever that is !!!)

EDIT I use PSE for photos. but I write down what I have had difficulty in finding out how to do so that I can refer back to what is now quite a long list !!

Warp: The "wave editor" sounds like a function to edit Windoze audio files. (*.wav)
Thanks KMB. I'm sure that you are correct but I just opened the Wave Editor and tried to import a couple of .wav files but the program won't have any of it. I clicked on "About Wave Editor" and also on the Help icon (?) Took a snip of both and using PSE added them to the opening screen of the Wave Editor. The result is below. You can see the 4 Cyberlink programs that I have on the top of my desktop.WAVE3.jpg

Attachments

• WAVE3.jpg
    WAVE3.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 2
Warp: According to Cyberlink, this is what I found:

"CyberLink WaveEditor is an audio editing and recording program bundled with CyberLink Media Suite. This program has two main functions – edit/add effects to music files and to record custom music."

The problem might be that you're trying to import when perhaps you should do a File/Open on an audio file.

Lastly, I notice that the app is still using the old Windoze "Help" routine, (your screen capture from Help shows this clearly.) That tells me that the programming is a bit old, at least for that part of the app.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out but if I didn't have an Adobe ransom license, I would very likely choose DaVinci Resolve for video editing.

Yeah, it's definitely an audio editor. Either use the File/Open rather than Import (as Mike says) or the .WAV file is of a format not supported (sample rate, etc.).

You might want to say what you mean by "the program won't have any of it", as in what kind of message / feedback are you getting from the app when you attempt that.

Mike: it's true that not a lot of current apps still use the legacy help system, but some still do. For one thing, it's on the machine (no internet required). Some enterprise-level apps still ship with some sort of on-the-box help systems, albeit with their full help on the web. It could also be a budget thing to upgrade it to something more modern.

Chris

Reactions: warpfactor55
I've used Adobe Elements and tried lightroom and others but settled with Movavi which I use for video and still photos. It's cheap,easy and does a good job and certainly has enough options to keep one entertained.

I’ve been working with Dolby Atmos and I am liking it better than true surround sound actually because there are less variables like room size and resonance to deal with. I haven’t figured out how to get it to translate into YouTube. It sounds super weird when I upload and play back but apparently is possible.

Ok, I'm pretty easily impressed, and yea that was impressive

Yeah, it's definitely an audio editor. Either use the File/Open rather than Import (as Mike says) or the .WAV file is of a format not supported (sample rate, etc.).

You might want to say what you mean by "the program won't have any of it", as in what kind of message / feedback are you getting from the app when you attempt that.

Mike: it's true that not a lot of current apps still use the legacy help system, but some still do. For one thing, it's on the machine (no internet required). Some enterprise-level apps still ship with some sort of on-the-box help systems, albeit with their full help on the web. It could also be a budget thing to upgrade it to something more modern.

Chris

Chris
Thanks Gentlemen. I'll try and answer the questions :
1. I did actually try File/Open as well as Import but forgot to mention the former.
2. Sorry about my poor language re "the program won't have any of it" I meant that the program would not load any of my .WAV files irrespective of whether I used Import or File/Open. I just get the same message showing the path to the file and the text "File not imported" The files that I have tried are audio files that I have created and have the .WAV extension in upper case. Would that make any difference ? I'll go and find a .WAV file that I haven't created and see if I can load that.

UPDATE I found an independent .WAV file but couldn't load that either. But then found one of my MP3 audio files and that loaded perfectly. I also have Cyberlink Audio Director and can load .WAV files perfectly into that ! I'm not particularly bothered by all this, I was just having a play with things but can't see why Wave Editor was part of the bundle when I purchased PowerDirector. One other very useful program in the bundle is Cyberlink Screen Recorder.

I was just having a play with things but can't see why Wave Editor was part of the bundle when I purchased PowerDirector.

Lots of video apps (or suites) include an audio editing tool / app — even if rudimentary — because people like having audio with their video clips (music, voice, effects). If it's just video that was recorded with voice using a mic and is already on the video, no real audio editor is required, but music is often something more than that.

A wave editor that doesn't open wave files is not something I have ever run into.

Chris

Reactions: warpfactor55
Lots of video apps (or suites) include an audio editing tool / app — even if rudimentary — because people like having audio with their video clips (music, voice, effects). If it's just video that was recorded with voice using a mic and is already on the video, no real audio editor is required, but music is often something more than that.

A wave editor that doesn't open wave files is not something I have ever run into.

Chris
Yes, I have a few videos (very amateurish) that I have loaded into YouTube and they are mainly of the instructional variety connected with my work and in which case I do like to do voice overs rather than put text on the screen. Pretty simple stuff really but being able to edit volume and getting rid of the almost inevitable throat clearing is handy. I'm not into audio really but was surprised that Cyberlink hadn't had much of a mention in this topic. And for the record I have no financial or other connection with the authors of that software.

More bizarre by the day. I have now found a folder that was obviously downloaded with my Cyberlink package that contains 87 small .wav files. Bells ringing, dogs barking, engines purring, that sort of thing. But I can't even load those into the WaveEditor !!! Maybe I have something set wrong. BTW, do audio files have codecs like video files ?

I'm willing to step up and buy the Adobe products, but I'm confused as to what each program does. Can I do color grading, editing, adding music of video and photos with Premier Pro and Lightroom - or do I need more? Photoshop, After Effects? What do you use?
I've used Premiere Pro exclusively for some thirty years now and it is easily able to do everything you mentioned and of course more. Photoshop is handy for sweetening still before they are imported and after effects in designed to make special effects and animated graphics a lot more intuitive and feature heavy. But both as professional video editor and now as a retired hobbyist, I have found Pro to be perfectly adequate. I long for the days when I could buy it. This renting stuff smacks of extortion to me, but I still have it.

Reactions: Hegemone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N