DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop screws are way too tight? (mini 3)

I think its fine now, did two test flights one at around 20-30m altitude for 10 mins, and another later at 100m altitude for about 15-20 mins, no issues so far.
If you pried one of the screws out, you almost certainly damaged the threads. I can't imagine how they might not have been damaged. It seems risky to me to be flying. If a prop loosens or comes off, there's going to be some real excitement.

Did the screw torque down properly? Did you apply Loctite or another thread compound?

Altitude has little to do with stressing the propeller connections. High stresses will be associated with high speeds and abrupt control inputs.

Reactions: LoudThunder
If you believe that you've made your bird airworthy, I would advise you to not fly it further that 50-feet away from you and not more than 5-feet high until you have run several batteries though it. The first flight, fly it only a few minutes, land it, check those screws, if OK, take off again, fly some more.

But again keep it low and close. If you do experience an issue, you might see it wobbling before it throws a prop. By keeping it low, if it does throw a prop, it doesn't have far to fall…

On the second battery, fly a bit more aggressively, maybe 10-feet high, back and forth, left and right, putting a bit more of a strain on the props.

Again, do not go out all chest puffed, thinking it's all good, you may have fixed it, but that does not mean it's repaired. For example, when I was a teenager, I was driving down the road and the exhaust pipe on my car broke loose and started dragging on the road. I took an old coat hanger and fixed it and went on my way. A week or so later, the coat hanger let loose and the whole exhaust pipe broke off and fell onto the road. Luckily, no one was following behind me too closely. So the moral is: I may have fixed that muffler but I did not repair it..

Reactions: eva2000 and Torque
I actually had to replace props on my M3P also recently, I didnt crash it per se, the drone has a bug where if it hovers in low light indoors, something seems to be triggering it to fly forward (i.e. it thinks the ground isnt level). Turning the light on and testing again it will hover on the spot like any other DJI drone.
As such it was only a low speed collision but the event was reproducible and ended up chipping one of the props.
I went to replace and just like the OPs experience one went in just fine and the other wouldnt.
After some troubleshooting turns out the prop was in the wrong way so just had to take it out and flip it over. The screw went in just fine after that although I used the replacement screw as you get 3 screws in the replacement pack. Used the included DJI screwdriver but in hindsight I should have used my precision screwdriver set as the included driver is very fiddly and I'd hate to have to use that in the field.

STOP, Throw that piece of Crap DJI Screwdriver away. DO NOT try to use it any more. The best you can hope for is a screw might come loose, more likely you will strip the screw and probably tear up the screwdriver tip. The worse that can happen is the screwdriver will slip and ram into the motor, destroying it or if you are lucky, it will miss the motor and sink into your hand…

If you return your drone to DJI, they will not consider it a warranty issue since you had a "very minor collision"... Let's not beat around the bush, you crashed it…

Go to a local store (Walmart, Target, ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, etc…) and get yourself a REAL set of Precision Screwdrivers… I've included a photo of the type you are looking for. I have several sets that I keep around the house (wife has a set in her SHE Draw, I have a set on my desk, and I have a set in my shop.

The set pictured are metric, but the #0 Phillips is perfect for the DJI Prop Screw. My sets are 5-piece and include the #1 and #0 Phillips, and a 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and a 3/64" common screwdrivers.

They are perfect for everything small, from removing the prop screws on your drone to replacing the screws in your glasses, to changing the battery in your watch, etc…

You do need to shop around, while I was googling these, the prices ranged from $7 up to over $20. Some sets come with a single driver handle with changeable heads, and some sets came with other types of tips (Hexagon Tips like an allen wrench, Square tips, Torx, etc…). You only need the little Philips and the common screwdriver tips.

A final reminder, THROW that DJI Screwdriver away!

View attachment 151703

So I had a very minor collision where 1-2 of the props are damaged and I'm just going to replace them all. The drone itself is ok it seems like.

The problem is the screws are super tight from the factory and I can't get the open. I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws

Is there any option here other than sending it back to DJI? I'd hate to do that
Stop using the supplied screwdriver!
You need a much more precise tool for the job!
Not a salesman for them, but iFixIt makes the best tools on the market for fixing things like this.
In fact they have an excellent tool kit, called the essential electronics toolkit, for $29.
So I had a very minor collision where 1-2 of the props are damaged and I'm just going to replace them all. The drone itself is ok it seems like.

The problem is the screws are super tight from the factory and I can't get the open. I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws

Is there any option here other than sending it back to DJI? I'd hate to do that just for a prop replacement...
atop using the supplied screwdriver!
You need a more precise tool.
I use iFixIt tools, because they’re one of the best, as well as very affordable.
The essential electronics toolkit is perfect for this job, and it’s only $29 US.

STOP, Throw that piece of Crap DJI Screwdriver away. DO NOT try to use it any more. The best you can hope for is a screw might come loose, more likely you will strip the screw and probably tear up the screwdriver tip. The worse that can happen is the screwdriver will slip and ram into the motor, destroying it or if you are lucky, it will miss the motor and sink into your hand…

If you return your drone to DJI, they will not consider it a warranty issue since you had a "very minor collision"... Let's not beat around the bush, you crashed it…

Go to a local store (Walmart, Target, ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, etc…) and get yourself a REAL set of Precision Screwdrivers… I've included a photo of the type you are looking for. I have several sets that I keep around the house (wife has a set in her SHE Draw, I have a set on my desk, and I have a set in my shop.

The set pictured are metric, but the #0 Phillips is perfect for the DJI Prop Screw. My sets are 5-piece and include the #1 and #0 Phillips, and a 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and a 3/64" common screwdrivers.

They are perfect for everything small, from removing the prop screws on your drone to replacing the screws in your glasses, to changing the battery in your watch, etc…

You do need to shop around, while I was googling these, the prices ranged from $7 up to over $20. Some sets come with a single driver handle with changeable heads, and some sets came with other types of tips (Hexagon Tips like an allen wrench, Square tips, Torx, etc…). You only need the little Philips and the common screwdriver tips.

A final reminder, THROW that DJI Screwdriver away!

View attachment 151703
Good advice..

I have the 'ifixit' kit for many years and I made my first attempt in changing prop on my M3P. The PH0 is probably the correct size for these screws but maybe slightly oversized. I fought this for a few hours and worried I damaged the screws to the point I would have to send it back to DJI. When I felt I was about to strip to PH0 I went to the PH00 and got enough purchase to get the screw out. I think the best would be a PH00+ ....or DJI just not tighten down the prop screws to that ridiculous level.

I have the 'ifixit' kit for many years and I made my first attempt in changing prop on my M3P. The PH0 is probably the correct size for these screws but maybe slightly oversized. I fought this for a few hours and worried I damaged the screws to the point I would have to send it back to DJI. When I felt I was about to strip to PH0 I went to the PH00 and got enough purchase to get the screw out. I think the best would be a PH00+ ....or DJI just not tighten down the prop screws to that ridiculous level.
They really shouldn’t have been torqued them that much.
I’m glad you finally got them loose.
The best thing you should do, it buy some new screws, and properly torque them back down.

Spending the day looking into these screws holding the props on I'll have to disagree with the advice the DJI issued screw driver is junk and should be discarded. On the contrary, the DJI fits these screws the best of any of the screwdrivers I have. Additionally in the M3P user manual it specifically states to only use the supplied screwdriver. If more leverage is needed it can be fitted to another attachment as it has a six sided head. If you're struggling to remove the screws I'd first try the DJI screwdriver and don't throw it away.
EDIT: a 6 sided 9/32 socket fits on the handle.
PS: those that have the 'JIS' style tip (like in the IFIXIT kit) I think the J0 or J00 size tip is much closer to fitting then the PH0 or PH00.

Last edited:
Assuming you have read this entire thread...you can help yourself getting a IFIXIT kit that has a much better driver handle and use a jis tip size J0 or J00. The kits handle will give you much better leverage. Just don't try to use a phillips head tip as they are not the right size. After using my IFIXIT handle and a J00 tip I had no problems removing mine. The screws are very tight so make sure you get a firm grip on the drone and take your time. The IFIXIT handle has a hole in it so you can insert like a nail or something similar crossways to give more leverage. Good luck.

I have the same issue with two of my screws. stripped philip with stock supplied driver and then stripped another with a nice Klein driver... appears they loctited the heck out of these things.

i'm about to heat a razer tip, melt the center of the blade to pull it from the motor mount and remove the screw with a tiny vice grip...

afraid to cut a slot as the head is too thin

any other ideas?
Assuming you have read this entire thread...you can help yourself getting a IFIXIT kit that has a much better driver handle and use a jis tip size J0 or J00. The kits handle will give you much better leverage. Just don't try to use a phillips head tip as they are not the right size. After using my IFIXIT handle and a J00 tip I had no problems removing mine. The screws are very tight so make sure you get a firm grip on the drone and take your time. The IFIXIT handle has a hole in it so you can insert like a nail or something similar crossways to give more leverage. Good luck.
my appologies, not trying to troll or anything; great thanks for the advise on ifixit as a better driver BUT my reply regarded another method of removing the stripped screw (talking about the head stripping, not thread) now nothing for a J0 or J00 or PH0 or PH00 to grip.
i didn't see the suggestion regarding the diagonals to cut into the screw and as i made an additional suggestion that appears may be less damaging and risky to the overall structure no idea why an extra thought or method needs to be disregarded and deleted.
whatever

.you can help yourself getting a IFIXIT kit that has a much better driver handle and use a jis tip size J0 or J00. The kits handle will give you much better leverage. Just don't try to use a phillips head tip as they are not the right size. After using my IFIXIT handle and a J00 tip I had no problems removing mine. The screws are very tight so make sure you get a firm grip on the drone and take your time. The IFIXIT handle has a hole in it so you can insert like a nail or something similar crossways to give
Which Ifixt kit do you have? For my kit, Phillips 000 screwdriver fitted best
Just checked my ifixit kit and for mini 2 at least it's Phillips 000 Screwdriver that fits best and included driver also fits. If I'd use Phillips 00 or JS 00/000 probably would strip it.

What flavor of Loctite is recommended? Any guidance for how much of the magical locking juice one should use? (It'll be my first use of Loctite...sorry if it's obvious to longtime Loctiters...)

I got a brand new batch of Master Airscrews for my Mini 3 Pro, and want to do this right...

Thanks.

• Wow

View attachment 151703
Spot on, and good advice.

The one thing I would add, though, is the majority of the sets out there are cheap, not made of hardened steel, and will have similar problems getting damaged with difficult screws.

It's cheap to mill soft steel, throw in a box and impress with "Steel Precision Screwdrivers". Taking the extra processing steps to temper and harden the the tools easily doubles the cost. However, it's more than worth it.

Beware cheap steel tools!!!!

Reactions: Starz
The one thing I would add, though, is the majority of the sets out there are cheap, not made of hardened steel, and will have similar problems getting damaged with difficult screws.
Walmart?
Or here.

Oh I was about to use the included DJI screwdriver for my MAS prop installs! Guess I shouldn't. I have the ifixit 64bit kit Mako Driver Kit - 64 Precision Bits and it includes
This is an excellent kit. Note they specify the steel used. S2, which is a good, hard steel, tempered to Rockwell C:

"S2 tool steels are tempered at 177 to 427ºC (350 to 800ºF) to obtain Rockwell C hardness of 60 to 50."​

I mean that just goes back to the original problem though, the screw seems to go in up to a certain point and then won't screw in further. As show in the picture.

So even if I get the stripped screw removed, the next screw would likely be the same
410reCMSEDL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

But your suggested set is so much more. I'll bet yours speaks five languages, washes the car, shops for the groceries, and even walks the dog… You can service my Mini anytime…Thumbswayup:pThumbswayup
Yes, and an exceptional French Chef as well! 😁

• Haha
Hi,
I can't loosen most screw's on my mini 3.
Sadly I striped one of them.
Contact the DJI Service and ask for an solution.
Answer: send your drone to the service center and they fix it.

12 days later I got my drone back, including a new screwdriver (tiny one) that fits better in the screwhead.

Test to loosen all Propeller screw's with an positive result.
Can't find any loctite on the screw thread.

Now I wait for the next damaged propeller (not really)

Greetings and stay healthy

Ps:Sorry for my bad English.

• Wow

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots