DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop screws are way too tight? (mini 3)

I can't loosen most screw's on my mini 3.
Sadly I striped one of them.
This was suggested by one of the members. If you strip a screw attempting to remove or replace a propeller. Cover up the motor opening with tape and cut or grind away as much of the plastic propeller as you need to until you can grab the screw top with a pair of good pliers with teeth (not some cheapie pair that when you squeeze the handles, the handles flex or they have a smooth surface like needle-nose often have…).

The screw will easily come out, you do not have to muscle it. And it only takes a quarter or half turn before it's finger loose…

This was suggested by one of the members. If you strip a screw attempting to remove or replace a propeller. Cover up the motor opening with tape and cut or grind away as much of the plastic propeller as you need to until you can grab the screw top with a pair of good pliers with teeth (not some cheapie pair that when you squeeze the handles, the handles flex or they have a smooth surface like needle-nose often have…).

The screw will easily come out, you do not have to muscle it. And it only takes a quarter or half turn before it's finger loose…
Good Advise !
I send the Mini to DJI cause most all of the Screws i cant loose with soft Power and i dont want to strip more Screws.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I ran into the different size screw issue. MAVIC Mini props were included in another order and I thought they were the same as the mini 2 I have. they just didn't screw in right. @Yorkshire_Pud saved my butt and made it clear that the two drones use different screws. I gave the MAVIC Mini screws and props to @CaseyK.
Chalk it up to another drone thing you would never expect.

But a question: even after the tighening the screws on my mini 2, the props are a bit loose. Is this normal?

CS

• Wow
I ran into the different size screw issue. MAVIC Mini props were included in another order and I thought they were the same as the mini 2 I have. they just didn't screw in right. @Yorkshire_Pud saved my butt and made it clear that the two drones use different screws. I gave the MAVIC Mini screws and props to @CaseyK.
Chalk it up to another drone thing you would never expect.

But a question: even after the tighening the screws on my mini 2, the props are a bit loose. Is this normal?

CS
Lose in what way?
They should be free to rotate about the screw......though when I fitted new ones they were not as free to rotate as the old ones.
BUT there should be no 'feelable' radial or axial play nor wobble.

The props are free to rotate around the screw, but there is some "play" in them. I can move them slightly up (and they drop back down) when I remove my finger.
CS
https://youtu.be/aR0z0qotVqg
I just checked my Mini 2. There's no discernable play in the prop hub along the axis of the motor shaft.

How much play are you seeing? Thickness of a business card? Credit card? Dime?

My first reaction was "ohh that doesn't look right" but the image is actually bigger than reality. When I used a magnifier I do see a bit of play but I would say it is less than you see, do you have access to Vernier Calipers?

My first reaction was ohh that doesn't look right but the image is actually bigger than reality, when I used a magnifier I do see a bit of play but I would say it is less than you see, do you have access to Venier Calipers?
regret no access to Mr Venier

Hmmmm, maybe a design change.
I'd be inclined to post this over on the DJI forum and see what their mods say.
It may be that your video is just well lit but the screwhead diameter looks, in comparison to the bore of the recess in the blde's hub, to be slightly smaller than mine but all my blades and screws are 'old stock'.
Can you post a side on photo/view so that we can see how high the screw head is sitting?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, maybe a design change.
I'd be inclined to post this over on the DJI forum and see what their mods say.
It may be that your video is just well lit but the screwhead diameter looks, in comparison to the bore of the recess in the blde's hub, to be slightly smaller than mine but all my blades and screws are 'old stock'.
Can you post a side on photo/view so that we can see how high the screw head is sitting?
photos as requested by @Yorkshire_Pud the screws seem flush visually and to the touch; top down photo also. posted on DJI forum

Attachments

• IMG_5224.JPG
    IMG_5224.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5222.JPG
    IMG_5222.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5223.JPG
    IMG_5223.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5225.JPG
    IMG_5225.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  • Sad
The RH screw in 5222 looks 'very' high.
Mine are all similar to MS Coast's, except for the hair, lol.
I'd post my photos but I am on a Mac and can't figure out how to crop the images, lol.
I too would suggest checking that the screws, on their own - no blades, screw in until their, from memory, shoulders seat on the top of the motor.
If they don't then aside from debris you may have damaged threads in the motors. If the threads are damaged then I think your only option is to send the mini 2 in for repair, to DJI if you can. I doubt the threads are long enough to offer a chance of a safe 'cleaning-up', besides which that would almost certainly dump swarf in the motor windings.

Last edited:
photos as requested
The ones on my Mini 2 are flush.
As others have noticed, your Props seem to be "Screwed Up…"

@MS Coast also noted that the screws on your props are not flush with the Propellers as shown in his photograph.

I have also included a photo of the Propellers on my Mini 2 with the photo of your Props adjacent for comparison. My propellers are the third set on my drone and these Propellers have about 20-hours flight time and about 40-50 miles.

propellers.png

As a side note, I never reuse the screws and I only use DJI OEM Propellers. Oh, I save all the old Props and screws but only incase of an emergency, but right now, I have 2-complete sets in reserve. Yeah, I know, Props are not cheap, but neither is your drone and one prop failing and your Drone is not going to fly, it is going to crash!

I also measured the lateral movement and it is about 1/8" or 3-mm up and down.

I am also a staunch advocate for the trashing of your DJI Propeller Screwdriver and getting a Good Set, with a real handle…

Your props look like the screws have been screwed in with the DJI screwdriver and not screwed in all the way… Also one of the screws appear to be crooked or Cross-threaded into the Motor Cap.

Here are some links from the past… How often should you change your Propellers…

More on your choice of a Screwdriver…

Good Luck!

Is there any chance that these are replaceable with a stock item? Ones made from tougher materials? Or even better, ones with Torx or Allen standard?

• Wow
Is there any chance that these are replaceable with a stock item? Ones made from tougher materials? Or even better, ones with Torx or Allen standard?
I doubt it, they contain a shoulder of a required length and diameter, plus the actual head is very slim, I do not know if there would be the depth availabe for a Torx or Allen key socket ...... unless it when into the shoulder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929