DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop screws are way too tight? (mini 3)

shadow3467

Reactions
So I had a very minor collision where 1-2 of the props are damaged and I'm just going to replace them all. The drone itself is ok it seems like.

The problem is the screws are super tight from the factory and I can't get the open. I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws

Is there any option here other than sending it back to DJI? I'd hate to do that just for a prop replacement...

So I had a very minor collision where 1-2 of the props are damaged and I'm just going to replace them all. The drone itself is ok it seems like.

The problem is the screws are super tight from the factory and I can't get the open. I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws

Is there any option here other than sending it back to DJI? I'd hate to do that just for a prop replacement...

STOP, Throw that piece of Crap DJI Screwdriver away. DO NOT try to use it any more. The best you can hope for is a screw might come loose, more likely you will strip the screw and probably tear up the screwdriver tip. The worse that can happen is the screwdriver will slip and ram into the motor, destroying it or if you are lucky, it will miss the motor and sink into your hand…

If you return your drone to DJI, they will not consider it a warranty issue since you had a "very minor collision"... Let's not beat around the bush, you crashed it…

Go to a local store (Walmart, Target, ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, etc…) and get yourself a REAL set of Precision Screwdrivers… I've included a photo of the type you are looking for. I have several sets that I keep around the house (wife has a set in her SHE Draw, I have a set on my desk, and I have a set in my shop.

The set pictured are metric, but the #0 Phillips is perfect for the DJI Prop Screw. My sets are 5-piece and include the #1 and #0 Phillips, and a 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and a 3/64" common screwdrivers.

They are perfect for everything small, from removing the prop screws on your drone to replacing the screws in your glasses, to changing the battery in your watch, etc…

You do need to shop around, while I was googling these, the prices ranged from $7 up to over $20. Some sets come with a single driver handle with changeable heads, and some sets came with other types of tips (Hexagon Tips like an allen wrench, Square tips, Torx, etc…). You only need the little Philips and the common screwdriver tips.

A final reminder, THROW that DJI Screwdriver away!

screw.png

• Haha
Reactions: Gagey52 and eva2000
This is the most annoying experience I've ever had with a screw

I managed to get them off but now screwing them back in, one screws in fine while the other seems to stop screwing in WAY above where it should..

If I try to screw it in further it starts stripping

There's nothing inside the hole to block it

Last edited:
I went to the link you included. You don't mess around, I bet it also speaks three languages...
LOL bought the kit as I also open up and mess with my laptops and other electronics :)

I managed to get them off but now screwing them back in, one screws in fine while the other seems to stop screwing in WAY above where it should..

Maybe it's the loctite stuff o the screws making it important to have the exact same screw used as previously in same hole? Tried switching the screws around?

Reactions: LoudThunder
LOL bought the kit as I also open up and mess with my laptops and other electronics :)

Maybe it's the loctite stuff o the screws making it important to have the exact same screw used as previously in same hole? Tried switching the screws around?
Yeah that didnt make a difference. The screw is now stripped. I'm (moderator removed language).

(Moderator removed language) 2 cent screw is going to cost me $100 and 2-3 weeks of flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mandilorian6
@shadow3467 oh Youtube search for 'stripped dji drone screws' seems like there's a lot of videos out there!

Shouldn't replacement props have screws or that is the one you messed up? You can always just buy a 2nd set of props with included screws - that would be cheaper

maybe some ideas at How do I remove a stripped hex screw on my mavic pro ?
I tried 3 different screws, 2 that came with the new props and 1 from the previous, none of them seemed to fit fine, so I tried harder with one of the new screws and now I have a stripped screw

Idk why the (Mod Removed Language)companies insist on using philiphs head screws for these instead of a slotted screw

(Moderator removed language) hate phillips head screws, always strip

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: eva2000
The DJI replacement Propellers for my Mini 2 came with new screws, actually, each set of propellers can with three screws…Pictured is a "two pair strip set", it contains an "A" set of props and the pack contains three screws, the other side of the strip contains a "B" set of props and that side includes three screws also… I have nothing else to say other than DJI "Screwed Me…" LoL…

props.jpg

• Haha
If I try to screw it in further it starts stripping

There's nothing inside the hole to block it
This posting is only 3-hours after your initial post, are you still trying to use that DJI Screwdriver? If so STOP, before DJI has to replace all four motors... Get some Good Precision Screwdrivers!

This posting is only 3-hours after your initial post, are you still trying to use that DJI Screwdriver? If so STOP, before DJI has to replace all four motors... Get some Good Precision Screwdrivers!
No I had a set with a PH0 that fit fine, I used that

It worked perfectly fine for the one prop but the other one was not screwing past the picture I showed, and after trying some more it stripped.

It worked perfectly fine for the one prop but the other one was not screwing past the picture I showed, and after trying some more it stripped.
Maybe some hardened loctite broke off in the screw hole when you first removed the screw?

Either way it looks like I will have to send it to DJI, I just hope they don't consider this as a replacement in my refresh because it's really only this one prop screw that is the problem

So disappointed that I likely won't have the drone for most of the remaining summer

How quick is DJI with turnaround for service like this (not a replacement just a small repair)?

No I had a set with a PH0 that fit fine, I used that
Your initial posting said, "I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws"

Now, for the bad news, if the screw holes are striped or nearly stripped on some of the prop mounts, you are risking everything flying the drone. If just one prop screw gives up the ghost and you loose even one blade, your drone is going down, and hard, it will be flipping and flaying trying to grab air and the missing blade will will be its downfall in more than one way... If you suspect this is in its future, I advise you to return it now as a damaged drone. then you will only have to pay for a replacement deductible. If you loose a blade over water or over trees, you may not be able to recover it and then you'll have to pay for a Fly Away deductible and that a lot harder to take...

Your initial posting said, "I'm using the provider screw driver but I'm afraid to strip the screws"

Now, for the bad news, if the screw holes are striped or nearly stripped on some of the prop mounts, you are risking everything flying the drone. If just one prop screw gives up the ghost and you loose even one blade, your drone is going down, and hard, it will be flipping and flaying trying to grab air and the missing blade will will be its downfall in more than one way... If you suspect this is in its future, I advise you to return it now as a damaged drone. then you will only have to pay for a replacement deductible. If you loose a blade over water or over trees, you may not be able to recover it and then you'll have to pay for a Fly Away deductible and that a lot harder to take...
Yeah I'm not flying this drone until I get this fixed

As it is now, I replaced two props, one scrwed in fine, but the second was not screwing in all the way. After trying to elbow grease it in, I ended up stripping the screw head

So now I'm...screwed. I just hope it's not an expensive fix and doesn't take too long.

I ended up stripping the screw head
If you only stripped the screw head, then it's only a bit of a pain but no harm. You may have to cut the prop off, but I would just take a set of side cutters (wire cutters) and holding the cutters as if you are going to cut the head in half, not like you are going to cut the head off, (hold them vertically) and clamp down on the screw on the sides of the head. It will damage the prop but with everything considered, that's a small loss. Use the cutters like pliers and slowly unscrew the stripped screw. Then you should be able to reinstall a new prop and new screw and make sure that #0 Philipps is a good quality one, not just a different version of the DJI junkdriver…

If you only stripped the screw head, then it's only a bit of a pain but no harm. You may have to cut the prop off, but I would just take a set of side cutters (wire cutters) and holding the cutters as if you are going to cut the head in half, not like you are going to cut the head off, (hold them vertically) and clamp down on the screw on the sides of the head. It will damage the prop but with everything considered, that's a small loss. Use the cutters like pliers and slowly unscrew the stripped screw. Then you should be able to reinstall a new prop and new screw and make sure that #0 Philipps is a good quality one, not just a different version of the DJI junkdriver…
I mean that just goes back to the original problem though, the screw seems to go in up to a certain point and then won't screw in further. As show in the picture.

So even if I get the stripped screw removed, the next screw would likely be the same

I mean that just goes back to the original problem though, the screw seems to go in up to a certain point and then won't screw in further. As show in the picture.

So even if I get the stripped screw removed, the next screw would likely be the same
If you manage to get the screw out, might want to take photos comparing the screws with others. Maybe the screw is slightly different from the rest?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998