DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller spinning too quickly?

DanielCreed3

Reactions
While flying my MM the other day, I started flying around in S Mode and was really pushing the little drone hard. I was especially flying around in tight circles and climbing as fast as possible. Then, I received a “propeller spinning too quickly/ wind turbulence. Land immediately” message. I pulled her down quickly without incident but now I’m concerned about flying her again. Is that message a normal occurrence or do I need to send it back to DJI? I have the Refresh Plan.

What were the conditions, altitude, and wind velocity (estimated) at that altitude? Were you flying against the wind?
Likely just pushed the drone to limits, hence warning.
The mini has relatively low maneuvering speed and wind resistance among the Mavic series

The fix may be to replace the props.

There are other posts here addressing the issue of the props flexing and/or taking a set to flatter pitch if something is applying pressure to them in storage. This phenomenon is also thought to contribute to uncomanded decents that have caused the Mini to impact the surface. I have no first hand experience as I don't fly one.

you will get it if you chuck it around the sky in sport mode its because the rear props are trying to keep the drones speed up into the wind and the rear motors spool up to maximum speed to achieve this

What were the conditions, altitude, and wind velocity (estimated) at that altitude? Were you flying against the wind?
Likely just pushed the drone to limits, hence warning.
The mini has relatively low maneuvering speed and wind resistance among the Mavic series
Thanks for your reply. Honestly, it was a nice day. I couldn’t give you particulars but I remember seeing that UAV Forecast was all green and nothing unusual. I think that I just pushed her too hard. Do you think it’s safe to fly again without a repair?

Thanks for your reply. Honestly, it was a nice day. I couldn’t give you particulars but I remember seeing that UAV Forecast was all green and nothing unusual. I think that I just pushed her too hard. Do you think it’s safe to fly again without a repair?
I would, stay close and try multiple modes to test.

Reactions: DanielCreed3
you will get it if you chuck it around the sky in sport mode its because the rear props are trying to keep the drones speed up into the wind and the rear motors spool up to maximum speed to achieve this
Yeah I was flying the living crap out of it lol. Do you think it needs repaired or checked out by DJI? Thanks!

its not actually broken ,you could change the rear props ,but that will not guarantee it wont happen again its just that the MM has a much more limited flight envelope than the bigger mavs
due to it only being a 2 cell battery and the size of the props

The fix may be to replace the props.

There are other posts here addressing the issue of the props flexing and/or taking a set to flatter pitch if something is applying pressure to them in storage. This phenomenon is also thought to contribute to uncomanded decents that have caused the Mini to impact the surface. I have no first hand experience as I don't fly one.
Yeah I’ve got extra props so I’ll inspect those first. I’ve had it for about three months now so maybe they need replacing. Thanks!

its not actually broken ,you could change the rear props ,but that will not guarantee it wont happen again its just that the MM has a much more limited flight envelope than the bigger mavs
due to it only being a 2 cell battery and the size of the props

While flying my MM the other day, I started flying around in S Mode and was really pushing the little drone hard. I was especially flying around in tight circles and climbing as fast as possible. Then, I received a “propeller spinning too quickly/ wind turbulence. Land immediately” message. I pulled her down quickly without incident but now I’m concerned about flying her again. Is that message a normal occurrence or do I need to send it back to DJI? I have the Refresh Plan.

As @bumper said, it may be time to replace the props. I think that's a valid assumption, but there might be another circumstance as well. Definitely check the props, and perhaps install new ones prophylactically even if you don't see any issues with the currently installed ones.

The props on the Mini are so thin that they are easily deformed/distorted. But also, if you think about it, the intelligence of the system is such that it commands the drone to do whatever it takes to stay in whatever situation you've guided your drone into. So if the props lack the efficiency to do that, the motors would work overtime to accomplish that. The Sport mode might already have had the Mini working at it's maximum, so it would seem that pushing it beyond to the limit would mean that the motors would being operating in a state that DJI deems beyond safe limits to keep the motors from burning out and/or keep your drone from experiencing failure at that time or in the future. Wind conditions in the Sport mode may have pushed it beyond DJI's specifications causing the error message. And it could also be a combination of props and conditions... Or it could be something else entirely, but I'd bet on one of these or both.

Just spitballing.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I don't have a mini but I'm thinking your drone is fine. The warning system except for "critically low battery..landing" is triggered fairly easily. Fly low and slow and check it out.

Was this issue resolved? Did the error message go away?
Yes. I should have followed up with a reply. My bad. So, I called DJI and they said to replace all of the propellers and reset the IMU. If that didn’t work then I would have to send it in per the refresh package (which I have.) I replaced all 8 propellers which was super easy and reset the IMU and it worked great ?. She’s up and running fine again.

Thanks for that response, just that it occurred to me on Saturday and i was looking for away to deal with it.

Reactions: DanielCreed3
Thanks for that response, just that it occurred to me on Saturday and i was looking for away to deal with it.
I believe that I may have slightly bent one of the propellers placing the MM back into its case. So, I’m going to be extra cautious about that from now on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spludge