DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper storage of props

Rchawks

Reactions
I thought I'd post this under general dis. as it seems it effects all drones with folding props. I can't recall seeing much discussion about this and I'm a stickler about setting the folding props with a overlay for the lack of a better term of the four props as I'm concerned about the warping of the props in storage. Several years ago after flying my Mavic Mini I had a error pop up while trying to gain altitude on launching, it stated something about the prop error and I had to land. I suspected the props were warped and they were when replaced it worked fine. I always take the time to properly overlay the props before inserting into the carry bag as well as using a after market prop holder, I also adjust the hub to have a consistent lenght on all 4 props. This to me seems to be a very important step not to be skipped or rushed. I just thought it should be stated for others that disregarding the process after a while is not really a option.
Just sayin.
Many of us never ask for directions (guys) or reread the manual again (again a guy thing} and little things like this might be overlooked by a newbie.

I also had the Mini props warping issues caused by [improperly] storing the props in their own DJI case. So far as I know, the Mini is the only drone susceptible to this.

Reactions: Rchawks
The Mavic Mini was susceptable to prop warpage because of the prop's material and the way/position it was suggested they be stored. Stored as instructed and in the DJI hardcase the props got squashed under the drone and lost pitch and possible profile/shape.
The material of subsequent props appears to have been changed and appears to be less susceptable to deformation.

That said,I think the important point is to avoid anything that deforms, bends or squashes the props when stored.

I modified the original hard case and storage regime used with my Mavic Mini so that the props are not squashed and the current props have been on the drone for several years with no problems.
My Mini 2 goes into its bag in such a way that its props are not squashed etc.etc. etc..
Ditto my mavic 2.

Reactions: Rchawks and MA2 317
The Mavic Mini was susceptable to prop warpage because of the prop's material and the way/position it was suggested they be stored.

I don't have a Mini, but thanks for sharing the information. 👍

Me either, I sold it to a friend a few years back. Flying a M3P and a MA2 now and will be content with what I got for now.

Reactions: MA2 317
I remove mine after every flight. I put motor covers over each motor. I store my props in a hard sided sunglasses case. Been doing this for a few years now and never had an issue.

Reactions: Tofino
The flight controller adjusts for the reduced lift capability of the twisted propeller blades by spinning the affected motors faster. But there is a finite limit to how fast these motors can turn.

An error message is displayed whenever that motor speed limit is approached. It'll say something about "Motor Speed Error" or "Propeller Speed" and after landing to check or replace the blades on the motor identified by the beeping ESC.

This is what the "beeping ESC" sounds like, causing the affected motor to twitch. Check the left rear motor here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Rchawks
I remove mine after every flight. I put motor covers over each motor. I store my props in a hard sided sunglasses case. Been doing this for a few years now and never had an issue.

If you remove them after every flight do you have to re-apply the thread-lock to the screws whenever you put the props back on?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nemesix