DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Properly battery treatment during discharge

Kennetf

Reactions
Hey peepz!
I haven´t flown my mavic lately, and I think the 10-day limit for automatic discharge is upon my two batteries. I know the "proper way" to treat your batteries if you plan to not use them for a while, is to fly them to 20-30% or so. However, I like to have them fully charged, just in case I get a short noticed assignment, and need to fly right away. And, I live very close to an airport, which means I need to travel some distance before I can simply drain out the batteries during flying.

So my question is, can I trust the automatic discharge function to work properly, and do I need to make any preperations for it to work as it should? Should they stay on a particular surface, is it safe to have one of them mounted in the mavic, since they generate some heat? Currently I have them both in those small mavic pro lipo bags, I guess that´s good enough?

can I trust the automatic discharge function to work properly, and do I need to make any preperations for it to work as it should?
Yes -- it works very well. If your batteries are set to discharge in 10 days, the auto discharge process will start after 10 days have passed. It'll take an additional 2-3 days for them to discharge down to the storage level (about 65%). If you press the battery button at anytime during this process, the battery will stop discharging (or counting to 10 days) and it'll wait for 10 more days before trying to auto discharge again.

Currently I have them both in those small mavic pro lipo bags, I guess that´s good enough?
That'll work. They won't generate much heat at all, so you can store them anywhere.

I know the "proper way" to treat your batteries if you plan to not use them for a while, is to fly them to 20-30% or so
It's best to keep the batteries between about 40%-65% when storing them. Check out the Battery Safety Guidelines for more details on caring for your batteries.

If you press the battery button at anytime during this process, the battery will stop discharging (or counting to 10 days) and it'll wait for 10 more days before trying to auto discharge again.
¨
Does that happen only when you turn on the battery, or does it also apply for simply checking it´s status?
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

It happens when pressing the battery button for anything. You don't have to turn it on.

If you leave your batteries charged like that repeatedly for more than 1 day, it will shorten their lives considerably, give you shorter flight times, and also possibly puff them, which will mean they are ruined and wont fit back in their slot on the Mavic body. Even though DJI gives you the option of waiting 10 days to discharge them, its not a viable option for me. I set them to 1 day, then if I decide to fly, I take 45 minutes and charge them. The only reason I set them to 1 day is if I forget to discharge them if I dont use them, but that's rare.

Lipos dont like to be stored fully charged, especially in the extreme heat or cold of a garage or car trunk, which is where some people store their Mavics. That's another consideration if you are storing them in other than indoor room temperature.

I thought Lipo's lasted better when stored at lower temperatures - they just don't perform unless they're warmed up

If you leave your batteries charged like that repeatedly for more than 1 day, it will shorten their lives considerably, give you shorter flight times, and also possibly puff them, which will mean they are ruined and wont fit back in their slot on the Mavic body. Even though DJI gives you the option of waiting 10 days to discharge them, its not a viable option for me. I set them to 1 day, then if I decide to fly, I take 45 minutes and charge them. The only reason I set them to 1 day is if I forget to discharge them if I dont use them, but that's rare.

Lipos dont like to be stored fully charged, especially in the extreme heat or cold of a garage or car trunk, which is where some people store their Mavics. That's another consideration if you are storing them in other than indoor room temperature.

Interesting, I can only see options for 5 days minimum before it starts to discharge. I don't see anything less than 5 days. Is this on a newer firmware? I'm currently on 0400

Reactions: Former Member
Interesting, I can only see options for 5 days minimum before it starts to discharge. I don't see anything less than 5 days. Is this on a newer firmware? I'm currently on 0400
Did you try scrolling up? On mine (iPhone), if the previous setting was 10 days, the size of the box will only allow the display of options between 5 days and 10 days unless you scroll up.

Did you try scrolling up? On mine (iPhone), if the previous setting was 10 days, the size of the box will only allow the display of options between 5 days and 10 days unless you scroll up.

sweet, I didn't realize i had to select and then scroll again after choosing 5 days because initially it only showed 5-10days and would not go any less but after the above quote from markc i was able to scroll up again and set the battery discharge to 1 day. Lipo's do no like to be fully charged and sitting for long periods of time so like thunder drone did to his batteries, i also set it to 1 day as well, just remember they do take 2-3 days to discharge down to storage level. Thanks for the help!!

Most other batteries want a storage charge of 20-25% wonder why Mavic is at 65%. Can someone explain

Most other batteries want a storage charge of 20-25% wonder why Mavic is at 65%. Can someone explain

That's easy, most other batteries don't need a storage charge of 20-25%, that is the limit for shipping, not for storage.

For storage you are usually aiming for something around 3.8V which is typically in the 50-60% range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d