DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proposed path for Alcatraz & Golden Gate

Julioego

Reactions
Hello guys,

I have not been able to find information about this specific subject. I already know SF is very restricted about drones and that you cannot fly over national parks, but is it possible to photograph Alcatraz and the Golden Gate using my proposed path? Maybe I´ll get some nice shots from a distance. I would be flying outside restricted airspace. (see attached pic)
Or maybe just Alcatraz, in case the MP range is too far for the Bridge.

I am planning to visit SF in July, and If this is not possible, there is no point in even bringing my Mavic on the trip.
I have absolutely no intention on breaking the law in any way.

Best regards and safe flying.

JG. Proposed Path SF.png

Last edited:
How is SF restricted? I think GG bridge is tricky but the rest mostly fair game, with lots of amazing things to film and take pics off.

In every post about drone laws in SF they talk about how all the airports and city´s own regulation restrict the drone flying.
I am planning to go to up to Sonoma and the down to Carmel. Can I fly comfortably below 400 feet? anywhere?
AIRMAP Maps show a lot of red zones.

Complete newb here but my understanding is that if you fly into a NFZ (which you're dangerously close to) the drone will automatically land in place (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If that's so, your Mavic is going to take a nice swim.

Reactions: dewster
Wind drifts your drone a few feet over, your GPS is a few feet off, and the zone extends a few feet further than you thought - up to you but that's a bit too narrow a margin of error for my taste.

Complete newb here but my understanding is that if you fly into a NFZ (which you're dangerously close to) the drone will automatically land in place (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If that's so, your Mavic is going to take a nice swim.

That is not true, but you shouldn't fly into a NFZ.

To the OP, there are no airport-related NFZs north of South San Francisco all the way until the GG bridge (where a NFZ associated with a Marin county airport begins). Most of the interesting parts of SF are within 5 miles of helipads, but AFAIK those don't count as NFZs. I've certainly not gotten warnings taking off from the Embarcadero near the Bay bridge, in Golden Gate Park, or in the Mission.

Should work but dont forget about TFRs during games which actually cover where you propose to take off from on variuos dates. Not sure how the geo system handles those. Also youll have alot of calls to make if your going to go by the book and call the all of the heliports as well. Even out in the middle of the water your looking at no less than 4 calls.

Last edited:
I'd love to do this. but there's also a lot of low flying manned craft at any given time. I've seen plenty of helicopters flying around and even under the golden gate bridge, Alcatraz, treasure island. the risk is not worth it to me.

and yes, since it's baseball season, there may be a huge TFR around AT&T park.

Reactions: AngryGardener
I am planning to visit SF in July, and If this is not possible, there is no point in even bringing my Mavic on the trip.
Oh yes there is.

Always.

Don't make that mistake of wishing you hadn't been an idiot and left it behind when something completely unplanned pops up and you would kill to get airborn with your MP. If you don't have a convenient, easy case, get one! I got PolarPro case below, and because of it, I never go anywhere without my Mavic. It's trivial to take it along, and 3 batteries to fly with.

PolarPro_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.jpg
PolarPro_DJI_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.png

As for your proposed plan, I can't see anything wrong with it, other than possibly distance, but it doesn't look that long.

How do you plan to fly it? Manually, or with a program like Litchi or Autopilot? I would strongly recommend the latter, as you'll get the best results, and it will be flown as efficiently as possible. Doesn't matter which app you use, just do the flight as an automated mission.

Oh yes there is.

Always.

Don't make that mistake of wishing you hadn't been an idiot and left it behind when something completely unplanned pops up and you would kill to get airborn with your MP. If you don't have a convenient, easy case, get one! I got PolarPro case below, and because of it, I never go anywhere without my Mavic. It's trivial to take it along, and 3 batteries to fly with.

PolarPro_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.jpg
PolarPro_DJI_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.png

As for your proposed plan, I can't see anything wrong with it, other than possibly distance, but it doesn't look that long.

How do you plan to fly it? Manually, or with a program like Litchi or Autopilot? I would strongly recommend the latter, as you'll get the best results, and it will be flown as efficiently as possible. Doesn't matter which app you use, just do the flight as an automated mission.

Thank you all for your replies!

I will be trying this flight and obviously sharing it with you guys.
I will try pier 45 and fire up Airmap and DJI Go4 to see if it lets me take off.
Also if I see a cop, I will ask just to be safe.

If by any chance it is not possible, I will take videos from other sites and some vineyards in Sonoma.

Cheers!

Reactions: tony56shooter
Thank you all for your replies!

I will be trying this flight and obviously sharing it with you guys.
I will try pier 45 and fire up Airmap and DJI Go4 to see if it lets me take off.
Also if I see a cop, I will ask just to be safe.

If by any chance it is not possible, I will take videos from other sites and some vineyards in Sonoma.

Cheers!
Headed home to the Bay Area next week and just wondering if you had any success. Thanks

The winds coming off the Pacific through the GG and into the bay can be quite strong. Make sure what you are doing is legal, as Alcatraz is a Federal National Park. If so, fly with caution.

Reactions: hookalakupua
Looks like Mission Impossible, but not because of TFR's or NFZ's, but battery endurance. I make it at 7 mi total length, however, the westbound leg will be into a headwind that only Sport Mode can overcome, and that will yield just above 15 mph groundspeed. That will be a 3 mi leg. Travel distance at that point will be 4 mi. from departure point. Don't plan any loiter time at the bridge if you do make it there. Frankly, there's nothing that can't be photographed from a boat, and at zero risk, with a DSLR. OTOH, someone's probably tried this, maybe you'll hear from them.

Looks like Mission Impossible, but not because of TFR's or NFZ's, but battery endurance. I make it at 7 mi total length, however, the westbound leg will be into a headwind that only Sport Mode can overcome, and that will yield just above 15 mph groundspeed. That will be a 3 mi leg. Travel distance at that point will be 4 mi. from departure point. Don't plan any loiter time at the bridge if you do make it there. Frankly, there's nothing that can't be photographed from a boat, and at zero risk, with a DSLR. OTOH, someone's probably tried this, maybe you'll hear from them.
Thanks. I may take a shot at it when I get out there with a couple of modifications. I'll post if I do. Cheers.

Found this on Litchi:

WWBOoPg.jpg

Here's the flight on Vimeo:

The fact that that seems to be the only flight done in that area on Litchi would lead me to believe it's not an easy place to fly!
Interesting. :) Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929