DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props in checked baggage?

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm good at asking stupid questions, so here's one:

I'll be flying to Mexico and I've watched a few videos on how to take drones on airline flights. One video said to put the props in checked baggage because they could be considered a cutting/slashing tool. Is this true or is it safe to keep the props on the Mavic in the carry-on bag?

Thanks!

I flew Air New Zealand Melbourne-Queenstown wth my Mavic in a pelican case as hand luggage, props, batteries, controller, all in the hard case no questions asked going or coming.

I'm good at asking stupid questions, so here's one:

I'll be flying to Mexico and I've watched a few videos on how to take drones on airline flights. One video said to put the props in checked baggage because they could be considered a cutting/slashing tool. Is this true or is it safe to keep the props on the Mavic in the carry-on bag?

Thanks!
I've flown several times with my Mavic Air and a few times with my Phantom. Never had issues with airport security/TSA regarding props in my drone bag and/or on the drone (I bring a spare set).

Reactions: KennyL
Flew to Europe this year and the UK last year both times carried it all in my hand luggage and had no problems at either end on departures. It is no biggy to put the props in your checked luggage unless of course they loose your luggage, then you are screwed for flying at your destination.

Last edited:
I often fly off from Hong Kong and asked once a security guard at the airport what were the rules about drones. She specifically mentioned to beware about the propellers. So I always check them in.

Thanks for all the replies! In the end I put the props in the checked bag. TSA didn't even blink at the drone carry-on. So everything made it to Mexico just fine.

If you're interested in seeing the drone work I'll be doing over the next month or two you can follow Sea Shepherd's ship the M/V Sharpie on FB.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78