DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Public Roads

Aikidoamigo

Reactions
A quick question, but maybe the answer is not so straight forward....

Can I launch my M2P from a ‘safe spot’ on a public road, so a lay-by or passing place for example (out of town)?

Often wonder when I drive around and we are surrounded by private land, fields etc. If I pull over to launch safely is that OK?

If it is a ‘public place’ and safe to do so under guidelines then I’m thinking it should be OK

How about Byways then, which are public rights of way and passage suitable for motorised vehicles in many cases. These quite often are through land used / owned by farmer who have to allow travel as it is part of their obligations.

Thinking aloud, wondered if anyone knows for sure ??

Just found this, seems to answer my question about Byways in that you cannot ‘photograph or film’ without permission ?.... although it does mention that as ‘commercial activity’ so perhaps personal use photo is OK after-all

I'm not British, but this seems to be about open access land, that is, private property that's not fenced off, like this or this. So I don't think this is applicable to streets or parks, given the number of photos and videos I've seen taken in those.

Also check your local airspace laws, you still may be able to fly over private property since the airspace is generally public and not "private land", and you should also be able to take photos and videos of private property that's a persistent element of the landscape as long as it's just background and you're not actively spying on people. Think about it, Google didn't have to get a license from literally every UK citizen to make Street View.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

I wonder about the aspect of launching, if you have access to walk across then I have to think public access should mean I’m OK to launch from the same area I’m allowed to walk on.

Certainly photography from the minimum distances should not be disputed, it’s a question more about where I can launch the drone from, hence the question regarding public roadways.

Thanks for your input ?

My question wasn’t really a local one...
Moreover a general question about ‘public areas’ does this inline public roads used by traffic etc. anywhere in the country

Surely if you follow the guidelines regarding keeping away from people, buildings and NFZ's, you should be good.

Depends what country/state/local authority you are in. I know in West Australia we are allowed to launch recover in the area controlled by Main Roads Dept.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast