DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pull a kite string

If the kite was attached I'd be wary, if the kite took off and climbed the string would probably foul the props and send the M2 for a swim. If the wind caught the kite and took it horizontally ...............

Even a kite less string may endanger the drone, depending on how high you send the drone.
When the drone descends the string may not descend as quickly as the drone and foul the props. I've tethered a Mavic mini with a light strong string and this was a problem, I added spaced our paper clips to weight the string down. If the string snags something ....what then?
Assume you made it across hdo you intend to get the drone back?
If flying it there and immediately back again the drone might fly into the string. If you delay the return and the string goes slack and into the water it might snag something in the water, how fast is the river and what would the drag do.......

Etc. etc. etc. It sounds a risky idea over water.

I was wondering if a Mavic 2 could pull a kite string 200 yards across a river?
Maybe you could explain the purpose of which some context might be needed.

But as a whole the Mavic 2 can carry a Life jacket if needed , but you might consider getting the Rescue Jacket to protect
your drone from the String and sinking.

Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain < Land on Water .
Phantomrain.org

If I were to do something like that, I would attach a heavy fishing weight to the string about at least 10' below the drone so not to get the string tangled into the props. I am assuming you have a mechanism to detach the string once its across the river?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if a Mavic 2 could pull a kite string 200 yards across a river?
I remember seeing a bbc news report about BT trying to put a cable across a valley with a river using a Phantom a few years ago and they were successful so I think as long as the string is not that thick and given enough slack with a clear view, no trees in the way I think you should be ok , cheers Len

If I were to do something like that, I would attach a heavy fishing weight to the string about at least 10' below the drone so not to get the string tangled into the props. I am assuming you have a mechanism to detach the string once its across the river?
I am flying it across to a person, he is going to catch it , we are carrying a string across from one pole to the next to use to pull a rope across to eventually pull wire across! I like the idea of a lite weight to keep the string out of the props ! Ty

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This is akin to the process of using a dinghy to lay out a heavy boat anchor and rode for a larger boat. It's best to coil all the chain and line in the dinghy and pay it out as you. You never want to be trying to pull the line through the water because of the drag and the weight.

You'd be better off to mount a spool of line on the drone and let it pay out as you fly rather than just tugging on the end of the line with the drone and having to move all the string as you go.

There are still a lot of other issues to be addressed. You'd probably want a release device to let go of the string if anything ugly happens. I've seen one for the Air 2S that actuates when you turn on the landing light.

Last edited:
You might want to look at the setup most guys are using to rig a fishing line to take it by drone way out to sea.
I don't 'Drone Fish' but there are many that do it and their routine is pretty solid and simple.

Here is a video (not mine) that describes and shows it pretty simply.

Reactions: March411
mount a spool of line on the drone and let it pay
I'd have concerns about that, primarily because when the drone reduces horizontal speed the angular inertia of a free running spool may dump loose string into the air around the drone and or cause tangles to form on the spool. It also probably necessitates that the string on the spool be unweighted so as to avoid it snagging.

Before I had a DJI drone I made a tethered flight with a £30-£40 toy drone, built in prop guards and all that stuff, that flew out to between 220ft and 240ft and back. The tether was a strong nylon thread but I do not remember if I had weighted the thread. The thread was wound on a the remains of a broken brush shaft that was lying on the ground at my feet and unwinding so as to roll the shaft towards my feet so there was very little chance of significant over run and or tangles.
Rewinding the thread took some time lol, presumably so had the original winding.

Last edited:
its the old risk verses reward scenario again ,how much do you value your drone

Take about 250 yards of the kite string with a small clamp on fishing weight and see if your drone can lift it. If it does easily, that's the first hurdle.

Second hurdle would be keeping the string out of the props. @Mark_F has the best idea for that. We've done similar when I've had to fly a tethered drone for safety reasons (airport required it to prevent flyaways at first).

Third hurdle is the drag the string will cause while flying. You'll need to stay high enough so the string doesn't get into the water. Once that happens, it's likely all over. You'll also need to take any cross wind into account. Landing will be the major issue. As you land, the string will get land in the water first. So be prepared to fight that pull.

Test it out first over dry land. If you run into problems there, you'll actually be able to get your drone back.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. It's too long of a distance and the string will end up in the water way before your person on the other side of the river will be able to catch the other part of the string.

You might want to look at the setup most guys are using to rig a fishing line to take it by drone way out to sea.
I don't 'Drone Fish' but there are many that do it and their routine is pretty solid and simple.

Here is a video (not mine) that describes and shows it pretty simply.

That is awesome.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Better with heavy test fishing line and split-shot weight to keep it safely below the props.
What ever you use, drag and other elements are your main concern: wind, trees, birds and keeping the line out of the water. The drone will carry the string/line no problem, just keep it in the air and not caught on the ground.
I am lucky enough to have a Splash Drone 4. That would be my choice. Maybe someone near you has one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S