DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchase Decision Process and Questions on 3t

Argos2023

Reactions
Hi there,

so as said i am looking to buy a Mavic 3 T. I will use it mainly for Forestry reasons like finding game in fences and finding fawns before hay is being mowed on the fields.

So 1. Question, what height can i fly to find something warm (fawn/cat size) in higher grass ? or at least spot the warm spot so i can zoom in with the normal cam ?

2. I would maybe also partly use it for mapping. i saw i only can use follow terrain in pre Mission planning if i buy the rtk Version. But i also saw i could import waypoints as an kmz/kml file. So if i make my path with litchie (following terrain), export it as kml and then import it to the 3t, will the work and follow the terrain ? Is there any Waypoint limitation when importing kml ? is there a "swap Batterie Option" when flying the kml and restarting at last waypoint if Btterie swapped ?

3. I don't understand to much about technical Camera Parameters, can someone do a quick compare between the air2s and the normal 3t Camera for mapping ?

4. How long does a Batterie actually last using the thermal and normal Cam together ? And How long does a Batterie take to charge ? (How many Batteries (and chargers) will i need for continous flying if charged while flying?)

5. Is someone else using the 3t for mapping also and has some good advice ?

6. RC, in the Set i'm thinking about there would be a RC pro Enterprise included, is this the best RC for the 3t or are there other / better options ? (i get a bit confused with all those DJI RC's and some seem to be not as great according to the internet)

Best and thanks in advance!

Argos, I can answer a few of your questions:

1. Here is a sequence locating a fawn in grass and dead weeds. First image is at about 40 meters vertical above point of interest and about 60 meters horizontal.

Deer-1 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Point of interest is a hotter dot, slightly right of center in the upper third.

Deer-2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
I relocate drone to 50 meters above hot spot and 50 meters out and zoom in a bit.

Deer-3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Yep, there it is!

Deer-5 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Zoom in a bit more.

Deer-6 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Zoom in about 10x visual.

I can't answer 2 and 3.

For 4, the T3 will last about 35 minutes with good reserves. It is set from the factory to very good settings and I have done little customization of parameters.

When recording, both visual (whichever selected) and thermal record as well as what is selected in the viewer. In other words, you get three recordings. A view of what you are looking at, a thermal view and a visual view with either the zoom or wide. I notice no flight time difference if I am recording or not.

For me what is more important is how long does it last when I need to gather information right now. That is, when the batteries have self discharged because I haven't used it for a week or two and need to go up right effin now. Once again with good reserves, you will get 20 minutes which is a lot of time to gather information.

I have two batteries and swap them after every flight. I rarely run two back to back operations.

I can't answer 5.

The kit I got comes with this controller: https://hniesfp.imgix.net/8/images/...fill&bg=0FFF&w=833&h=555&auto=format,compress

It also comes in a handy pelican type case, one battery and some cables. What I ordered separate is one extra battery, the quick charge dock with ability to charge 3 batteries and a cover for the camera that also captures the propellers so that if I have to chuck it in a pack the props are protected.

From decision to launch with the kit packed to flight in areas where I have maps downloaded is about one minute or two if I am fumbling.

Reactions: Argos2023
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998