DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quandary. IPad Mini 6 or Tripltek 8 Pro?

Michael Ainsworth

Reactions
Am in a quandary.
Looking at either the IPad mini 6 or the Android Tripltek 8 Pro.
I am used to the IOS of IPads, IPhones etc and they work well with my drones. But the screen is not as bright as the Tripltek.
Have heard many stories about problems with Android operating systems and don’t want to buy a potential problem.
Do I stay with the IPad Mini 6 or take a chance with Androids?

Am in a quandary.
I am used to the IOS of IPads, IPhones etc and they work well with my drones. But the screen is not as bright as the Tripltek.
Have heard many stories about problems with Android operating systems and don’t want to buy a potential problem.
I have a mini 5 and do just fine with my MPP and M2P. To deal with the screen, I use a sun shade. For me, having everything with IOS enables automatic transfer of photos captured with my Mavic to my phone and IMac.

@Michael Ainsworth ,its really a matter of personal choice
both devices have pluses and minuses ,depending on what you are wanting to do with them
both will work perfectly well with the different Apps used for drone flying
its your call

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I was thinking the same thing a month ago. Was doing fine with the iPad Mini 4 but needed something better when I got the Air 2S. Decided to go with the Tripltek 8. The screen size and brightness made the decision for me.

Won't know if I made a good choice since it is on Pre-Order at the moment.

Reactions: Gagey52
Large part of the decision would be whether you want to jump to the Android crowd.
Research as much as you can.

Reactions: Gagey52
I have been using iPads with my drones. But the screen brightness left something to be desired. I live in the high desert so that is a factor. When the Tripltek came out I decided to try it. After using an iPad for years the Android system was very confusing and not user friendly. I used it with my mini 2 and the Air2s. With the mini 2, I would get automatic cache downloads on the tablet. Not so with the Air2s. If you want to download a video to the tablet you have to keep the drone on and it takes 2-3 times to download as to take the original video. So I just pull the card and download in the computer. If it wasn’t for the screen brightness I would have returned it.
The iPad mini is just so much easier to navigate and utilize.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the reviews of the Tripltek 8" pro in January. For $800 that's a fair price for the brightness you get. I think the DJI Android software team has improved, as their RC Pro seems to work better than the previous SC. However I really resent DJI not conforming to distribute their Fly app through the play store. When I tried to install the app on my 7" display 1500nit Samsung S21 Ultra phone, I got numerous warnings the app could damage the phone, but I installed it anyway. It took a while to find the security release to allow non Playstore apps to be loaded, but finally figured it out. I hate being forced to doing things that I'm told are risky, because you never know until it's too late. This change of policy at DJI implies the Fly app wouldn't pass muster during Google's security app inspection, which is unsettling. It appears DJI has something to hide IMO.

Well, I made the choice to stay with the devil I know
Have bought the IPad Mini 6, 256GB Wi Fi only.
Too much money to chance moving to Android.
If I could have borrowed a Tripltek to test out maybe I would have gone that route.

Reactions: old man mavic
If I could have borrowed a Tripltek to test out maybe I would have gone that route.
I use the iPad mini 6 and a Samsung S9 and have not had any issues with either (MA2). Love the mini size though.

Michael, that's a reasonable decision. I've used an iPad Mini 4 for several years with my MP and Spark, and it has worked just fine. I have an Air 2S on order, and with the many reports that the Mini 4 doesn't have the horsepower to run DJI Fly, I was also faced with that decision. I decided to go with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 5G. I got good pricing from Verizon, my long-time mobile carrier. I've also been using both an iPhone (company phone) and a Samsung Note 4 (personal phone) for long enough to be accustomed to both platforms. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I may send the tablet home and use my iPad Air 2 with the Air 2S remote.

Am in a quandary.
Beware! Tripltek is not on the (much reduced) list of DJI approved compatible devices. I have an issue with my Samsung tab and DJI response was simply "your device is not on the list".

Wait for Amazon to restock then you can test for a while and send back if you don't like it. :cool:

For anyone using the SC and wanting an additional monitor, look at the Feelworld 279S, it is a 7 inch screen with an amazing 2,200NITS of brightness. That is more than double the brightness of my SC which in itself is bright. They cost around $235 and I use it to just display my camera view. Just something for you guys to consider when you need super brightness in sunny conditions.

I was thinking the same thing a month ago. Was doing fine with the iPad Mini 4 but needed something better when I got the Air 2S. Decided to go with the Tripltek 8. The screen size and brightness made the decision for me.

Won't know if I made a good choice since it is on Pre-Order at the moment.
Wondering if you had any issues. I tried bonding my Tripltek 8 today and couldn't get it working . I put my phone ios on the controller and it worked just fine?

Wondering if you had any issues. I tried bonding my Tripltek 8 today and couldn't get it working . I put my phone ios on the controller and it worked just fine?
I received my Tripltek 8 last week but have not had a chance to do much with it. I did get it booted up and went through the initial tablet setup - but that's it. May go ahead today and download DJI FLY app.

I plan on getting more into it next week. Will post up my progress.

Mate if you ever come to the NT I’ll show you what your missing out on. 😀
Regards

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I’ve used them all, iPads, iPhones Samsung and even have a crystal-sky (what waste of money that was). I finally settled on the Tripltek. Don’t be afraid of the Android system, I believe there are more Android appliances out there than IOS.
Regards

I had the same quandary. I've been using Android since the original Moto Droid so I was leaning that way. I had an iphone 7 once to try out and ended up giving it to someone that broke their phone. The issue for me was it's just hard to find a decent 8" or so Android tablet with current specs. After much looking, I ended up ordering a mini 6 to try that should be here tomorrow. The Tripltek just seems to be mostly outdated, other than the screen brightness, at release for a very premium price. I couldn't see that value in it. I'm sure I'll have to whip up some kind of sun shade for the mini 6, but I'm going to give it a try.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I had the same quandary. I've been using Android since the original Moto Droid so I was leaning that way. I had an iphone 7 once to try out and ended up giving it to someone that broke their phone. The issue for me was it's just hard to find a decent 8" or so Android tablet with current specs. After much looking, I ended up ordering a mini 6 to try that should be here tomorrow. The Tripltek just seems to be mostly outdated, other than the screen brightness, at release for a very premium price. I couldn't see that value in it. I'm sure I'll have to whip up some kind of sun shade for the mini 6, but I'm going to give it a try.
I bought this shade for my Mini 6 and it’s been great. RC GearPro Foldable Smartphone... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HK1DSP1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just make sure to get the L168 version. Zero complaints and it folds up.

I've mentioned it before but for those who might have the SC to work with, the brightest extra monitor for the money, is the Feelworld 279S which has 2,200NITS, brighter than anything mentioned here. It is a 7-inch monitor, and you can connect it via the SC HDMI. Of course, it is not a tablet but for superbright viewing at about $235 it's a bargain. I use it to view only what my camera is seeing on my M2Pro and use my SC for all the flying bits, but you can choose to have the monitor mirror your controller screen instead. It only serves for those who want an additional monitor though, not function as a tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032