DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about 400ft limit

The concept of being able to view a Mavic at 1500' with horizontal distance taken into account is stretching it a bit isn't it? VLOS isn't just about being able to see a dot in the sky, it's about being able to find it immediately when you've glanced down at your controller and to be able to know its orientation. Just saying.

the webinar is free,the course is $249,but if you attend the webinar it is $99,it is very good and i feel positive about passing the test,im still working on calculations of longitude and latitude,metars and sectional charts,but i just started last week,lots of practice questions with video and full explanation of the correct answers

Thanks for the feedback, I've been looking into this.

Something to be aware of for Part 107: If the tower is 1000-ft and the lowest layer of broken or overcast clouds is 1500-ft, you will not be allowed to fly any higher than 1000-ft within a 400-ft radius of the tower. That means that you can't fly above the upper extent of the tower. Remember, you must fly no higher than 500 below the cloud ceiling at all times!
Also be aware if that 400 ft above the tower may place you in a different class of airspace

Something to be aware of for Part 107: If the tower is 1000-ft and the lowest layer of broken or overcast clouds is 1500-ft, you will not be allowed to fly any higher than 1000-ft within a 400-ft radius of the tower. That means that you can't fly above the upper extent of the tower. Remember, you must fly no higher than 500 below the cloud ceiling at all times!

thanks i took the the test today and passed with 98%,it was harder than i was thinking because on my test i had to reverse many of the questions i studied,i missed 1 about avoiding a collision on an approach ,you should enter the traffic pattern how,i think i answered midfield downwind

Know sectional charts thoroughly, as well as looking-up locations via Lat/Lon. METARs and TAFs are important as well as weather theory. Practice, practice, practice!

I used the course from Jason Schappert (RemotePilot101.com) since I was familiar with his private pilot training videos. The key thing is to augment any online course with the appropriate ancillary reading/studying in:
  1. The Part 101/107 regulations (know the details);
  2. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, especially the sections on weather and aerodynamics.
Finally, if you use reading glasses for computer work, consider purchasing a cheap second pair that are about 2x-3x your normal strength. The supplement that you are given for reference during the test has details that are much easier to pick up at the right magnification. I usually use 1.25s for computer work and, in addition to those, I brought a pair of 3.50s! This tip came from a fellow "old-fart" who had taken the test and struggled a bit with the supplement.

Best of luck!

Theo

thanks i took the the test today and passed with 98%,it was harder than i was thinking because on my test i had to reverse many of the questions i studied,i missed 1 about avoiding a collision on an approach ,you should enter the traffic pattern how,i think i answered midfield downwind

Reactions: TheoMatthias
CONGRATULATIONS! Thumbswayup

Was the question asking where GA traffic would be related to your sUAS position based on the GA pilot's communication? In GA, there are several acceptable pattern entry procedures for aircraft, the most common being a 45º entry onto the downwind leg.

Was the question asking where GA traffic would be related to your sUAS position based on the GA pilot's communication? In GA, there are several acceptable pattern entry procedures for aircraft, the most common being a 45º entry onto the downwind leg.

something like to prevent a collision an aircraft would approach how,im sure i entered midfield downwind,the code is PLT 146

thats what i answered but it was incorrect,something about to prevent a collision blah blah blah,lol an aircraft would do/enter how.cant remember exactly the code was PLT 146

Hmmm. Don't think that question was on my test. The FAA have something like ~150 questions in their question bank and, before each test session, 60 of those questions are randomly chosen.

The question I missed was a simple one about weight and balance. I should have easily got it correct, but I was too confident and rushed through the answer evaluation.

Reactions: htommy
Hmmm. Don't think that question was on my test. The FAA have something like ~150 questions in their question bank and, before each test session, 60 of those questions are randomly chosen.

The question I missed was a simple one about weight and balance. I should have easily got it correct, but I was too confident and rushed through the answer evaluation.

i was overly confident when i got there,and was humbled quickly with the first like 15 questions,lol,they were odd but with the same main idea

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13