DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about 400ft limit

htommy

Reactions
so im studying for part 107 and it says that if im inspecting a 1000ft tower i can legally fly 400 ft above and 400 ft horizontal of the structure,so how is this achieved with the Dji settings,ive been flying for almost a year but i haven’t had a desire to try and go any higher or break in laws,btw i live in Class D airspace but i was just curious how to go about this in the field

If you launch your Mavic near the base of the tower, you'll easily be able to achieve that altitude since the Mavic is able to fly up to 500 meters over top of the takeoff point. Set your max altitude to 500 meters in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Max-Altitude.PNG

i was assuming it has a 400ft limit,like i said i haven’t messed with the max altitude setting,thanks for the reply

i was assuming it has a 400ft limit,like i said i haven’t messed with the max altitude setting,thanks for the reply
The default setting is 400 feet.

Reactions: htommy
Something to be aware of for Part 107: If the tower is 1000-ft and the lowest layer of broken or overcast clouds is 1500-ft, you will not be allowed to fly any higher than 1000-ft within a 400-ft radius of the tower. That means that you can't fly above the upper extent of the tower. Remember, you must fly no higher than 500 below the cloud ceiling at all times!

Something to be aware of for Part 107: If the tower is 1000-ft and the lowest layer of broken or overcast clouds is 1500-ft, you will not be allowed to fly any higher than 1000-ft within a 400-ft radius of the tower. That means that you can't fly above the upper extent of the tower. Remember, you must fly no higher than 500 below the cloud ceiling at all times!

yes sir i have the study course from Drone Tribe its pretty thorough

thanks

Is that free? Is it good?

the webinar is free,the course is $249,but if you attend the webinar it is $99,it is very good and i feel positive about passing the test,im still working on calculations of longitude and latitude,metars and sectional charts,but i just started last week,lots of practice questions with video and full explanation of the correct answers

Know sectional charts thoroughly, as well as looking-up locations via Lat/Lon. METARs and TAFs are important as well as weather theory. Practice, practice, practice!

I used the course from Jason Schappert (RemotePilot101.com) since I was familiar with his private pilot training videos. The key thing is to augment any online course with the appropriate ancillary reading/studying in:
  1. The Part 101/107 regulations (know the details);
  2. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, especially the sections on weather and aerodynamics.
Finally, if you use reading glasses for computer work, consider purchasing a cheap second pair that are about 2x-3x your normal strength. The supplement that you are given for reference during the test has details that are much easier to pick up at the right magnification. I usually use 1.25s for computer work and, in addition to those, I brought a pair of 3.50s! This tip came from a fellow "old-fart" who had taken the test and struggled a bit with the supplement.

Best of luck!

Theo

Reactions: htommy
Know sectional charts thoroughly, as well as looking-up locations via Lat/Lon. METARs and TAFs are important as well as weather theory. Practice, practice, practice!

I used the course from Jason Schappert (RemotePilot101.com) since I was familiar with his private pilot training videos. The key thing is to augment any online course with the appropriate ancillary reading/studying in:
  1. The Part 101/107 regulations (know the details);
  2. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, especially the sections on weather and aerodynamics.
Finally, if you use reading glasses for computer work, consider purchasing a cheap second pair that are about 2x-3x your normal strength. The supplement that you are given for reference during the test has details that are much easier to pick up at the right magnification. I usually use 1.25s for computer work and, in addition to those, I brought a pair of 3.50s! This tip came from a fellow "old-fart" who had taken the test and struggled a bit with the supplement.

Best of luck!

Theo

thanks man i appreciate this

Correct. Class D VFR visibility requirements are 500 feet below, 1000 feet above and 2000 feet horizontal distance from clouds. That is for aircraft, not sure about drones.

Correct. Class D VFR visibility requirements are 500 feet below, 1000 feet above and 2000 feet horizontal distance from clouds. That is for aircraft, not sure about drones.
Yup. Same for sUAS aircraft but, of course, the 1000-feet above thing doesn't apply without waivers. Even then, as a R-PIC, I would not want to have a cloud obscuring my view of the drone and the airspace, even if the strobes were on.

Theo

Reactions: danman999
Yes that is true if the tower is in class D airspace but be aware that also means you are within 5 miles of an airport with a control tower. So if you are in class G airspace does that mean all you need is 1 mile vis and clear of clouds?

{snip}So if you are in class G airspace does that mean all you need is 1 mile vis and clear of clouds?
Part 107.51(c) and (d) indicate that sUAS minimums do not depend on the airspace class/altitude (unlike GA) and that maintaining 3SM of flight visibility along with flying at least 500-ft below and 2000-ft horizontally from clouds is required.

Theo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan