DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about practicing with ATTI mode

koopyetz

Reactions
Curious if anyone practices flying in ATTI mode with their Mavic Pro 1 in the event GPS is lost. Most curious about flying towards you nose in as stick commands are opposite.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I haven't done it with my Mavic but I do fly other drones in ATTI mode and it does take some getting use to flying towards you and using oppose control movements versus flying away from you. I'd suggest getting an inexpensive drone and just spending some time doing it. After awhile it will become second nature.

First of all “practicing” in ATTI isn’t practical on the Mav1 without firmware mods, or indoors. Even then its risky because it can suddenly acquire GPS momentarily, and the results can be unexpected.
Like said above, get a cheap toy drone and practice away. Thats how most of us started anyway, and the skill can be quite beneficial, and FUN!

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Learning to fly nose in is an important skill in GPS or ATTI modes. The only difference in ATTI mode is that the drone will not stop and hold position when you let off of the sticks. You have to manually apply the brakes. It will also drift with the wind. There is a hack that will allow you to switch to ATTI mode and stay in that mode until you choose to switch back.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
I don't understand — flying towards you isn't any different in ATTI, in respect to stick action, than it is in GPS. It's the same in all directions.

Though I do agree that practicing without GPS lock is beneficial.

Chris

flying with the control sticks when the drone is facing you is a skill that you will need to master, if you really want to fly in control at all times it is something that any RC modeller has to contend with, even boats cars and of course our drones and model aircraft, have the same issue.as you get more time at the controls it is something you end up doing without thinking,in the end you get what is called muscle memory, where your brain has learnt a specific skill and it is very rewarding once you have mastered it good luck with your flying

I use what I affectionately call my Range Ball Drone, a Hubsan X4 107d, about $45, to practice with. It’s indestructible, hard at first, but practice, practice, practice indoors and out.

You’ll be a much better pilot.

Reactions: PAW
Thanks again for your helpful replies. I'll be following the advice here and using a lesser grade drone for practice .
Have a good weekend and clear skies.

Rick

Thanks again for your helpful replies. I'll be following the advice here and using a lesser grade drone for practice .
No need to buy a toy drone to practise in atti mode.
All you need is some aluminium foil and scotch tape to block GPS as I did for some testing with this Phantom.
i-M45s6SC-L.jpg

Then go to a large, open area where there are no obstacles to hit and have fun.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes.

Reactions: old man mavic
No need to buy a toy drone to practise in atti mode.
All you need is some aluminium foil and scotch tape to block GPS as I did for some testing with this Phantom.
i-M45s6SC-L.jpg

Then go to a large, open area where there are no obstacles to hit and have fun.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes.

Thanks Meta4 . On ice with no brakes . That put a smile on my face :)

Keep it LOS until you get somewhat used to ATTI because drift is less perceivable when flying FPV. Your craft will always want to drift with wind and/or momentum. Being spoiled by P-GPS stability, this mediocre Freestyle FPV pilot is still initially surprised by how slippery my hacked M2P seems in ATTI mode.

if you do want to fly in ATTI mode choose a day with as little wind as possible,because believe me if it is windy your drone will take off like a scolded cat on steroids down wind, and will be gone before you know it, of course always start ATTI mode upwind if you can, and at least you have time to react as it blows towards you ,the best part though is trying to land it in ATTI just to get it on the ground is in itself a miracle, i liken it to a controlled crash dont use your best props my comments are based on flying my x21 in ATTI a phantom like drone with tall landing legs always tips over in the wind on landing hence old props

Learning to fly nose in is an important skill in GPS or ATTI modes. The only difference in ATTI mode is that the drone will not stop and hold position when you let off of the sticks. You have to manually apply the brakes. It will also drift with the wind. There is a hack that will allow you to switch to ATTI mode and stay in that mode until you choose to switch back.

I'd like to know the hack...would love to be able to practice flying my Mavic in ATTI. I've HAD to fly in ATTI several times because of loss of GPS and my adrenaline gets a kick-start...but I'd like to get competant at it.

I'd like to know the hack...would love to be able to practice flying my Mavic in ATTI. I've HAD to fly in ATTI several times because of loss of GPS and my adrenaline gets a kick-start...but I'd like to get competant at it.
Unsure of the forum posting rules, so Google "Mavic hack" will bring up 2 Drone U YouTube videos on how to add a selectable ATTI mode, one for the M Pro and the other for the M2. It works as advertised for the M2P.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucenYvette
I don't understand — flying towards you isn't any different in ATTI, in respect to stick action, than it is in GPS. It's the same in all directions.

Though I do agree that practicing without GPS lock is beneficial.

Chris
The OP was talking about nose in which means the cyclic (Right stick mode 2) is reversed.

I first owned a Phantom 3 standard, and it had atti mode as a selection.
Atti mode is a good mode. Everything is much more smooth. You don't need to be afraid of atti mode just be careful that it's not super windy, or simply fly up above everything because atti mode keeps a constant altitude.

There are mods to switch Sport mode to Atti mode. I did it with the Spark, and it really improved a poor performing drone.

If you make the mod, you can quickly exit atti mode by moving the selector from atti (formerly sport mode) to P mode, and suddenly you are in GPS control.

Reactions: g36pilot
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have a non GPS drone for ATTI practice. Once I get better in this mode I’ll try it with my Mavic and aluminum foil via Meta4 suggestions. So , small steps .
Regards
Rick

The problem with Atti mode is you still don't get to learn the full stick motion and speed control. Like others have recommended, try a cheap drone with no electronic help where prop speed alone is a constant adjustment to just try and hover. Atti is better than GPS but the true understanding will come from an unassisted drone.

I started flying my practice drone and "true understanding will come from an unassisted drone." is very true. Continual stick movements .
Good challenge for me .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78