DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on NFZs

LeafPeeper

Reactions
So I realize that the Mavic won't even take off if you're in an NFZ, but does it work this way with the Spark and all the other smaller selfie drones out there that use GPS? It just seems to me that maybe limiting the height to 10 meters or something would make more sense so that people can at least use them for family pictures, group shots, selfies, and low level flight practice when they are in restricted areas. I find it hard to believe that a drone 10m up could cause a problem with air traffic. So is this a Mavic thing, or a strict rule for all GPS drones?

LP

Reactions: Mxs
I would guess the Spark works the same way (I'll ask in the Spark forum). DJI is on the leading edge of "safety" and I suspect they have a liaison to interface with the FAA.

I really like your idea of allowing take off but limiting height and distance.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
That's the double edge sword of the spark. You buy a spark to take selfies but the most interesting places that people want to go are typically in a NFZ. I like your idea and I am sure DJI likes it also, but the reality is that most of these places don't want any drones in their air space. period!

You can see the problem with drones is growing each year. As they get cheaper and easier to fly the public will soon be seeing dozens of them buzzing away at every venue or location of interest. It's a case of the technology getting so good that it kills itself. You can see an example of that with the PC evolution which has just about killed itself by evolving into the tablet.

The main difference is that the drone is evolving into a device that cannot be allowed to continue when the numbers of them start to get too get too large. Unfortunately I see drone parks as the end game solution that the public and legislators will eventually latch onto. I am enjoying the heck out of my Mavic now while flying in the open is still an option. I love to take what I consider to be historical videos of areas that are untouched by man. I see these videos as being of great historical value in the future.

Rob

Last edited:
I wish they would do something like that too leaf. They just assume were all gonna be ******** but there might be some real time authorization coming soon with an app for situations like this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna