DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about SD cards for the Mini 2

KennethH

Reactions
I suddenly have a problem. I've been flying my Mini 2 and the last couple days I've been experimenting with files on my SD card in the drone. I've found a couple video files of flights, but I decided to format the card. I've formatted it in the drone and using File Explorer on the computer (Windows 10 doesn't make it easy). In the second case I've used the long method (molasses runs faster than that) and the short method. The short method seems to say it's formatted in a second. I took it outside and did some flights (even had to climb up and get it out of the Mulberry tree). Tried to see what files resulted with DJI Fly. It says there is nothing there. Have I messed up the SD card (Extreme 128gb)? I'm using a CoCocka USB Type-C/OTG Card Reader/Writer, which has USB A, USB Micro, and USB C connections, plus SD card reader and MicroSD reader. But Fly also says there's nothing there.

Should I just get another 128gb microSD card for the drone?

Ken

Last edited:
I don't typically format the card. I just delete the files as I copy them. Not sure why since I was religious about doing a fresh format with my DSLR but it doesn't enter my mind with the drones.

fwiw, I had two more SanDisk Extreme Pro cards delivered yesterday. I've had good luck with them.

I don't typically format the card. I just delete the files as I copy them. Not sure why since I was religious about doing a fresh format with my DSLR but it doesn't enter my mind with the drones.

fwiw, I had two more SanDisk Extreme Pro cards delivered yesterday. I've had good luck with them.
Good points. And I ordered two SanDisk Extreme Pro 128gb cards for delivery tomorrow.

This afternoon I formatted the microSD card with the exFat (is that right?) format, and put it in my Mini 2. Flew around for a while, and could see on the tablet that I was getting some good action. I took out the SD card (after turning off the drone of course) and looked at it in the computer. Nothing on the card. The same in the drone, on DJI Fly there was nothing on the card. Is it possible that something is wrong with the drone? It showed it was taking video as it flew. From reading the Mini 2 manual, there might be something saved on the drone's memory.

Last edited:
This afternoon I formatted the microSD card with the exFat (is that right?) format, and put it in my Mini 2. Flew around for a while, and could see on the tablet that I was getting some good action. I took out the SD card (after turning off the drone of course) and looked at it in the computer. Nothing on the card. The same in the drone, on DJI Fly there was nothing on the card. Is it possible that something is wrong with the drone? It showed it was taking video as it flew. From reading the Mini 2 manual, there might be something saved on the drone's memory.

I do not know if you messed up your MicroSD Card or not; but mine died. I bought my Mini 2 from Costco and it came with a 32GB SanDisk Extreme MicroSD Card. The card died and would not record or format in the drone, and my desktop computer and laptop, both said the card needed formatting, but it could not format the card. I did a search on this MicroSD Card on line looking to see if it had problems. What I found was that SanDisk offers a LifeTime warranty on this card. I contacted them, they sent me UPS return label and I returned it to them. SanDisk sent me a Brand New MicroSD Card, all at no cost…

So, if your MicroSD Card is also dead, check to see if the manufacture offers any warranty.

I do not know if you messed up your MicroSD Card or not; but mine died. I bought my Mini 2 from Costco and it came with a 32GB SanDisk Extreme MicroSD Card. The card died and would not record or format in the drone, and my desktop computer and laptop, both said the card needed formatting, but it could not format the card. I did a search on this MicroSD Card on line looking to see if it had problems. What I found was that SanDisk offers a LifeTime warranty on this card. I contacted them, they sent me UPS return label and I returned it to them. SanDisk sent me a Brand New MicroSD Card, all at no cost…

So, if your MicroSD Card is also dead, check to see if the manufacture offers any warranty.
So now my question is: Did the one they sent you work as expected? That would indicate that it was indeed the card's problem, and not your equipment or your drone. Since I only use SanDisk, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Did the one they sent you work as expected?
As I wrote previously, they sent me a "Brand New" MicroSD Card... Since I took the time to write about this and recommend the same to you, don't you think I would have mentioned it if the Brand New card did not work properly? It's not like I recommended drinking the witch's brew to see if it's poison...

I suddenly have a problem. I've been flying my Mini 2 and the last couple days I've been experimenting with files on my SD card in the drone. I've found a couple video files of flights, but I decided to format the card. I've formatted it in the drone and using File Explorer on the computer (Windows 10 doesn't make it easy). In the second case I've used the long method (molasses runs faster than that) and the short method. The short method seems to say it's formatted in a second. I took it outside and did some flights (even had to climb up and get it out of the Mulberry tree). Tried to see what files resulted with DJI Fly. It says there is nothing there. Have I messed up the SD card (Extreme 128gb)? I'm using a CoCocka USB Type-C/OTG Card Reader/Writer, which has USB A, USB Micro, and USB C connections, plus SD card reader and MicroSD reader. But Fly also says there's nothing there.

Ken
I had never formatted any SD card, and never had a problem...until I got my FPV last week. On all three flights so far I've gotten the "Format SD Card" error message...even though images are being recorded on the cards.

Weird, too, they're recorded in MOV, and I always use MP4. I also don't get the recording counter displayed.

I'm going to reformat both the aircraft card and the goggle card, and see if that helps.

I'd sure like to understand why I'm just seeing that problem now, when I've never had a problem before with any of my drones, both DJI Mini-X and other. But that knowledge may be elusive forever...

If your drone has a built-in memory, check that you have selected the SD card and not the built-in memory.
I just found that DJI Fly has a recording of my flight yesterday a 5pm. I can only find a satellite view showing the path around my yard, but it was a couple minutes long. That shows Fly keeps a recording at least of the flight data. Still haven't found a place to tell it to record the flight video to the SD card.

IS there a place to tell Fly to save files to the SD card? I haven't found that place yet.
That's because you own a Mini 2 that doesn't have an internal memory. The only place a Mini 2 can store data is in the SD Card, there is no other choice. I answered to @Arnold LeVine . Remember this is the Air 2S Help subforum, not the Mini 2

Last edited:

Ken
If it’s of interest, the mini2 will accept up to a 256 card. I have one on order (Sandisk) and will test to see if it will actually store that much flight video.

After downloading to computer from a flight, card is formatted in the drone for the next round. I’m thinking that the drone format doesn’t write zeros over the card, but merely overwrites old files as it needs to, which may be why formatting is so fast. If yours doesn’t work that way it could be muffed up. Good to have a few extra cards around to find out.

As I wrote previously, they sent me a "Brand New" MicroSD Card... Since I took the time to write about this and recommend the same to you, don't you think I would have mentioned it if the Brand New card did not work properly? It's not like I recommended drinking the witch's brew to see if it's poison...
I'm sorry I asked.

If it’s of interest, the mini2 will accept up to a 256 card. I have one on order (Sandisk) and will test to see if it will actually store that much flight video.

After downloading to computer from a flight, card is formatted in the drone for the next round. I’m thinking that the drone format doesn’t write zeros over the card, but merely overwrites old files as it needs to, which may be why formatting is so fast. If yours doesn’t work that way it could be muffed up. Good to have a few extra cards around to find out.
"Quick" formatting is done by simply erasing the directory of where files are located. files are still there, until overwritten. and why file recovery software works.
Full formatting is actually zeroing out each bit which is why it is sooo slooow.
IMHO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78