DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick fix for blurry sides

Mavić_Legenda

Reactions
I've found that if I focus at hyperfocal distance of about 10m prior to flying off and switching off AFC then my videos are sharp everywhere corner to corner BUT if I focus at infinity the right side of the image is ridiculously blurry - I'm talking vaseline country, completely unusable. For anyone considering returning their Mavic because of blurry sides, this might help, good luck!

Reactions: F6Rider
by hyperfocal, do you mean just focussing on something at 10m distance, or is there some way to set the focus at an indicated 10m in the app that results in hyperfocal focus?

by hyperfocal, do you mean just focussing on something at 10m distance, or is there some way to set the focus at an indicated 10m in the app that results in hyperfocal focus?
No the DJI app is hopeless with manual focusing, it just has multiple unmarked lines between closest focus and infinity. I just estimate the 10m distance, tap once on the screen to focus there and that's it. That way, anything from about 5m to infinity is in focus and no soft sides on my dodgy Mavic at least

ah bugger, thought I might have been missing something. Need a way to focus in low light!

My current Mavic is pretty good with the corners of the image I think, the previous one definitely had the blurry corners.

I have found this as well, was having issues with blurry right hand side with AFC ON... turned off AFC and the issue is much improved, not 100%, but very close. AF still works fine. Turn the AFC off people if having blurry RHS footage issues.

I've found that if I focus at hyperfocal distance of about 10m prior to flying off and switching off AFC then my videos are sharp everywhere corner to corner BUT if I focus at infinity the right side of the image is ridiculously blurry - I'm talking vaseline country, completely unusable. For anyone considering returning their Mavic because of blurry sides, this might help, good luck!

You can't always have something in front of you to focus on, for example in a field. However you will always have the ground. So could you fly 10m up in the air at the start of every flight and point the camera at the ground and T2F then should be good for the whole flight yes?

Old post but let me bump this to the top...

Just want to say thanks for this suggestion... I am by no means an expert on photography etc but this "fix" works for the most part.

I had such a hard time getting the focus down right on my newly bought Mavic Pro. Clearly there IS an issue with my lens mechanism... But I don't want to go through all the hastle of sending it into DJI etc... I bought the drone mainly for sport use rather then photography... I like to fly FPV etc...

So, to get a "mostly" focused video... I flew up 13M, pointed the camera towards the ground and did an auto focus.

The video that comes out is some of the best I have yet to film.

There is NO DOUBT there is something wrong with the lens though as about 1/6th of the video, right side, is blurred even with this method... I can live with this for now though.

Next step is to order 2 lens repair kits off ebay (they are cheap, about 10-15 USD a pop), and do the swap see if it helps.

But yeah, for those that have trouble with getting the focus right on their Mavic Pro:

Launch, fly up 13M, point camera directly at the ground, auto focus, and you should be good to go for the majority of the flight.

Thanks!

EDIT : As you can see, clearly the right side is blurry as.... *Sigh* Made in China baby!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: cfoxtrot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members