DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question about Airplane flying over your drone

fengy

Reactions
I got my Mavic Air 2 recently and still learn how to fly drone and tried to fly it in safe area by checking app (B4UFLY), however, during flying drone, from DJI FLY app, I can see from map window as well as notification window that there is an airplane will be approaching this area or is flying over this area. I also saw warning message about it. In this situation, if I can ensure the height is safe, then is it still legal to fly drone? or should I stop flying and get it back? thanks

Reactions: rcookie
Welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Diego.

You are still legal to fly after you receive the warning, just be aware of where the aircraft is traveling. You may need to lower your altitude to be safe.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

As long as you are not in a no fly zone you should be legal. As above, descent is otherwise the key to safety.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I got my Mavic Air 2 recently and still learn how to fly drone and tried to fly it in safe area by checking app (B4UFLY), however, during flying drone, from DJI FLY app, I can see from map window as well as notification window that there is an airplane will be approaching this area or is flying over this area. I also saw warning message about it. In this situation, if I can ensure the height is safe, then is it still legal to fly drone? or should I stop flying and get it back? thanks
The Air Sense built into the Air 2 is incredibly accurate, zoom out on your map to see where the manned aircraft is. If the warning outline on the map is just Orange it is still fairly far off, if it turns red and the audible voice warning sounds that means it is extremely close. As long as you are not near a private airfield aircraft usually travel at 500' AGL and above but it wouldn't hurt to lower your altitude to be safe, especially if you are not in VLOS (visual line of sight) of your drone.

With regard to aircraft operating below 500 feet, the rule is, "An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure." So if you are flying your drone out in the boonies, it's possible, legal, though maybe unlikely, that an airplane may happen by flying very low - - we sometimes do that for fun.

This is my Husky on the top of Mt. Siegel, Douglas County, Nevada. Didn't see any drones up there. :c)

g6qDbRi.jpg

With regard to aircraft operating below 500 feet, the rule is, "An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure." So if you are flying your drone out in the boonies, it's possible, legal, though maybe unlikely, that an airplane may happen by flying very low - - we sometimes do that for fun.

This is my Husky on the top of Mt. Siegel, Douglas County, Nevada. Didn't see any drones up there. :c)

g6qDbRi.jpg
I had 5 different light aircraft pass by at 100' in the FL Keys where I was flying this weekend! A pack of fan man powered parachutes too!!

With regard to aircraft operating below 500 feet, the rule is, "An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."
Hello Bumper:

Nice plane in a beautiful spot!

Thanks for posting - I wasn't aware of that rule. I'm curious about the "...closer than 500 to any.......vehicle..." In that context, would a drone be a vehicle? If so, does that rule put some responsibility on low flying pilots to avoid drones? I don't mean to suggest that drone pilots shouldn't always give way to manned aircraft - simply because it is much easier for us to see and thus avoid manned aircraft than it would be for manned aircraft to see and thus avoid drones! I'm just curious.

As someone who flies drones and pilots manned aircraft below 500 feet - how far away do you feel you could see a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro?

Thanks again,

Howard

The Air Sense built into the Air 2 is incredibly accurate, zoom out on your map to see where the manned aircraft is. If the warning outline on the map is just Orange it is still fairly far off, if it turns red and the audible voice warning sounds that means it is extremely close. As long as you are not near a private airfield aircraft usually travel at 500' AGL and above but it wouldn't hurt to lower your altitude to be safe, especially if you are not in VLOS (visual line of sight) of your drone.
Watch out for false ADS-B too. I've been flying (legally) and ADS warning has gone off because of an aircraft directly overhead - airliner at FL320 ....? ?

Reactions: JackL
It can be a passenger jet at 30,000 feet, or a police or medical helicopter much lower.

Seeing your plane on top of that mountain brought back some 'interesting' memories. I love everything in the air and love my MA2. We share the air with not only mechanical aircraft but also in a more limited way hang gliders, para gliders etc. They will not show up on the map window. While flying my hang glider in Monterey CA at 300 feet I felt something happen to the top of my Hang Glider and I started drifting to the right and lost some stability.... I made it down, kissed the ground (literally) looked at my Hang Glider only to find a sail plane stuck in my top wires. Just another reason to keep your line of sight while flying and be extra careful when flying in spots that others share the air. Really enjoy this site!

I have found many times I will hear a plane (or helicopter) well before I can see one. I am up on a big lake in North Carolina, and the pilots love to come down to 100 to 200 feet above the lake. Keep ALL your senses alert when flying....

Reactions: bassnbeau and JackL
The problem with the Air 2 ADS B is that it give you no information on the direction of travel or altitude and whether the aircraft is in level flight or changing altitude...in other words ..your ears might be a better indication. If you are near a hospital, athletic park, fire station, or any number of places in any city it could very well be a low flying helicopter. Extreme caution is required in populated area. If you're checking the range possibilities of your drone..lets face it we all have the urge...and you get an aircraft alert...dropping to tree top level won't help because as we all know ..you will lose connection and the drone will climb and start home on it's own. What to do?...I have no idea..USE CAUTION!

The problem with the Air 2 ADS B is that it give you no information on the direction of travel or altitude and whether the aircraft is in level flight or changing altitude...in other words ..your ears might be a better indication. If you are near a hospital, athletic park, fire station, or any number of places in any city it could very well be a low flying helicopter. Extreme caution is required in populated area. If you're checking the range possibilities of your drone..lets face it we all have the urge...and you get an aircraft alert...dropping to tree top level won't help because as we all know ..you will lose connection and the drone will climb and start home on it's own. What to do?...I have no idea..USE CAUTION!
Watching Radarbox or Fr24 is definitely a good idea if you are droning in active air space!

Is Flight Radar24 the same as Air Sense?
My experience with FR24 is that the likelihood that an aircraft is transmitting is directly proportional to how low they will be flying. I can see all of the FedEx and commercial flights, but not the ultralights and the Coast Guard helicopter.
Listening tends to work, so far.

Reactions: JackL
Is Flight Radar24 the same as Air Sense?
My experience with FR24 is that the likelihood that an aircraft is transmitting is directly proportional to how low they will be flying. I can see all of the FedEx and commercial flights, but not the ultralights and the Coast Guard helicopter.
Listening tends to work, so far.
They use the same technology to see the aircraft. FR24 does block some flights though. Radarbox shows everything it can pick up. I don't think ultralights ever have a transponder so you always have to be on the lookout for them visually.

In that context, would a drone be a vehicle? If so, does that rule put some responsibility on low flying pilots to avoid drones?
No. It’s always the responsibility of the drone pilot to avoid the aircraft. If the aircraft pilot sees the drone, which is very difficult in most circumstances, he would always try to avoid it but it’s technically not his responsibility to do so.

Reactions: Howard70
No. It’s always the responsibility of the drone pilot to avoid the aircraft. If the aircraft pilot sees the drone, which is very difficult in most circumstances, he would always try to avoid it but it’s technically not his responsibility to do so.
That makes sense to me, but seems a bit contradictory to the rule for manned aircraft flying under 500' posted by Bumper. Perhaps there's more clarification in the details of that ruling.

Howard

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus