DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quickshots not recordable in D-Log?

Reactions
I’ve been playing around with my new Mavic 2 Pro and can‘t seem to record Quickshots in D-Log / H.265. Normal video is being recorded in D-Log just fine but as soon as I start a Quickshot, the drone records in normal colour format. This is pretty irritating if you plan to include a Quickshot in a project that is otherwise based on D-Log clips. Does anyone know a workaround or did I miss something? The manual doesn‘t say anything about this restriction, as far as I can see.

Verified myself - They seem to be "normal" profile not log. Possibly due to processing restrictions.

They are shot in 1080p 30 FPS by default as well I do believe. Even though it’s not D-log, you should still be able to match decently in post processing...

Found this out last week as well. It’s actually a pain since it makes it harder to match your clips in post.

Can you try selecting a quick shot and THEN try changing camera settings? I know this used to work with the air?

WHAT? Not in 4k?? I can live with quickshots not being in dlog, but not even 4k? Can people confirm this? Can you do the Air trick of changing back to 4k after going to quickshot mode?

Has someone found a workaround / hack for this issue yet? If DJI won't let us record the quickshots in 4k and D-Log, they are basically useless for a workflow that is based on D-log material and color grading in post.

Has someone found a workaround / hack for this issue yet? If DJI won't let us record the quickshots in 4k and D-Log, they are basically useless for a workflow that is based on D-log material and color grading in post.

No idea, another way the M2P has been crippled. I am fairly sure even the mavic air can do quick shots in 4k....

The question is, why? It most certainly is not a processing resources issue. This would have to be a deliberate decision for marketing or product structuring reasons.

The question is, why? It most certainly is not a processing resources issue. This would have to be a deliberate decision for marketing or product structuring reasons.

I tried Quickshoot twice while video was set for D-Log M and upon selecting it the settings switched to NORMAL mode with h.264.
It kept the 4k/30fps settings I had set initially. The resolution of my files are 3840x2160.

I tried Quickshoot twice while video was set for D-Log M and upon selecting it the settings switched to NORMAL mode with h.264.
It kept the 4k/30fps settings I had set initially. The resolution of my files are 3840x2160.
So, bug.

So, bug.[/QUOTE

No, not a bug. Quick shots are "quick" in that they are processed by the craft. They are available for immediate playback or sharing.

So yes, it is a "processing resource issue" 10 bit D-log take more resources than the Mavic 2 or for that matter any drone typically has on board. The 4K is not the issues it is the H.265.

As many have discovered even their relatively new and robust desktops and laptops cannot handle the H.265 codec associated with the 10 bit D-log.

They are shot in 1080p 30 FPS by default as well I do believe. Even though it’s not D-log, you should still be able to match decently in post processing...

Same with Mavic air, don't ex

It can't

The Mavic Air got an update that allowed 4K quickshots (it was previously impossible) - I would assume the MP2 also has this but I can't verify.

The only work around I’ve found so far (which is questionable on whether it’s a valid “workaround”) is this:

The M2P CAN film active track shots in full manual camera settings AND in DLog M H.265 at 24fps. So with that said you can utilize active tracks tracking to lock onto your subject and then manually fly some of the quickshot style movements.

An added benefit to this is you can put the obstacle avoidance sensors into “safe” which gives you obstacle avoidance in ALL directions (only available in active track and tripod mode)

Yes, I agree that all of this is totally lame and I would prefer that quickshots be fully customizable to the shooters preferred camera settings. It’s not an issue of system cpu limitations because quickshots themselves utilize active track to function and as I’ve explained active track CAN film in H.265. This is DJI not thinking ahead enough that filmmakers and working professionals would want to utilize tools they think are fun gimmicks for consumers.

Reactions: Kilrah
The only work around I’ve found so far (which is questionable on whether it’s a valid “workaround”) is this:

The M2P CAN film active track shots in full manual camera settings AND in DLog M H.265 at 24fps. So with that said you can utilize active tracks tracking to lock onto your subject and then manually fly some of the quickshot style movements.

An added benefit to this is you can put the obstacle avoidance sensors into “safe” which gives you obstacle avoidance in ALL directions (only available in active track and tripod mode)

Yes, I agree that all of this is totally lame and I would prefer that quickshots be fully customizable to the shooters preferred camera settings. It’s not an issue of system cpu limitations because quickshots themselves utilize active track to function and as I’ve explained active track CAN film in H.265. This is DJI not thinking ahead enough that filmmakers and working professionals would want to utilize tools they think are fun gimmicks for consumers.

It seems that you don't really want "Quick shots" (onboard processing for immediate sharing) but rather want those canned actions available for use when filming in H.265?

It seems that you don't really want "Quick shots" (onboard processing for immediate sharing) but rather want those canned actions available for use when filming in H.265?

So you feel that the part about the quickshots that actually matters is that it’s already color graded? The part that anyone literally would care about are the easily repeatable camera movements for getting perfect shots.

What I’m interested in is that on their flagship drone, they unlock the cameras settings during this mode. It’s a $1500 camera drone, let me use the camera. We can go back and forth about the definition of what quick shot means all day.

Their "flagship" drone is the Inspire 2... and it doesn't have the "consumer" quickshots at all.

There's only one definition of what quickshot means, it's the one DJI chose... and it's pretty obvious what they decided it should be.

So you feel that the part about the quickshots that actually matters is that it’s already color graded? The part that anyone literally would care about are the easily repeatable camera movements for getting perfect shots.

What I’m interested in is that on their flagship drone, they unlock the cameras settings during this mode. It’s a $1500 camera drone, let me use the camera. We can go back and forth about the definition of what quick shot means all day.

With all due respect, the M2P is nowhere near their flagship drone :) Their flagship drones don't even have some of the quickshot modes at all.

I think the intent of the quick shots is to produce professional looking, easily shareable clips (for Facebook, Instagram, etc.) I don't disagree that we should be able to chose the recording profile and still use them (because why not) but I've seen a lot of professional/cinematic drone footage and I don't think I've ever seen a quick shot mode mixed in. I think you'd see them on the flagship drones if they were commonly needed. The more gentle, sweeping quickshot modes (i.e. dronie, circle, rocket) are really easy to do manually if you need to shoot DLog.

Reactions: Kilrah and parkgt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japester