DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Railroads + + Critical Infrastructure or A Scenic Work of Art

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
It’s a slow move, but the railroad association is attempting to (obtain additional governmental funds) attain governmental status of critical infrastructure. As such, the FAA would be required to include the railroads and trackage under critical infrastructure coverage.

I grew up in central Pennsylvania with the PRR mainline. As a kid, I did the same as others and hopped the westbound freights to ride to the Horseshoe Curve and eastbound to get back. My home town was a definite stop for ice in the reefers of the time. If I had known then, what I know now! Stupid moves, I know.

If the Railroad Industry attains the ‘critical infrastructure’ status nationwide (some states have enacted), then that would effectively place the rail industry (to include trackage) in the No Drone Zone. While I do believe trains to be a thing of beauty and love to photo some of the more unique consists, how do you drone video/photo your trains.

My health, these days does not permit too much travel (non COVID19 time we’re talking here). I’m presently awaiting CABG, but right now as (with COVID 19) elective surgeries are no go! ( Mod Removed Language)I can get around, I just can’t get too far.

Share your train (drone) videos/photos please. Short video clips are great as are still photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
shoot, my humor is too dry. I need to choose smileys better.
I just thought it was funny those numbers are "upsidedownable".

Reactions: Gindra
shoot, my humor is too dry. I need to choose smileys better.
I just thought it was funny those numbers are "upsidedownable".
They really do look bass-ackwards don’t they! I watched a video once of cold start up on an old 484 once. Took em over an hour from cold start to house exit.

1585608017488.jpeg
The old Huntingdon, PA ice stop. The ice came to the conveyer via a tunnel leading from the ice plant located behind the camera. The Juniata River supplied the water. Our house would have been about 1/8 mile straight up and over the engine. Trains would stop, both East and west bound. One man would pike open the fore and aft roof hatches and two men would wrangle 200 pound blocks of ice down the hatch. Then the opener would close em all up again. Steams were before my time but the ice process continued until the new modern reefers came in. Then, the ice plant went away.

memories . . .
And, yes, the mind is a force to recon with. Many of us older ones are also John Galt.

Reactions: Thomas B
Georgetown Loop Railway in Colorado.

I was just looking at some railroad maps across the USA. It’s just truly amazing the infrastructure. My Daddy grew up with the East Broadtop Railroad, narrow gauge Mount Union, Orbisonia, and more in PA. I think they still run a modified short trackage, as a tourist attraction. It does cost $1,000s to keep even a small line in operating condition. East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company - Wikipedia.
1585692766075.jpeg

I also enjoy shooting video of railroads. There is a place not far from me that rebuilds RR equipment. I'd love to get permission to fly over all the engines and what not they are restoring. I frequently fly along the Sierra RR out of Jamestown CA. Love to catch one of the old engines on the track with my Mavic but just flying the track is nice especially when the grasses are green during springtime.
Sierra RR.jpeg

I have a friend who built a model RR of the Yosemite Valley RR route. Being the RR was in my neck of the woods I'm amazed how accurate Jack's model is.
Anyway a link of Jack's build if anybody is interested.

It’s amazing, the amount of love (and $$$) that goes toward restoration projects. Looking forward to your videos in the future.

The Cripple Creek & Victor NG RR is just waiting to be ridden. Perhaps after the C19.

1585703348787.jpeg

Last edited:
I spent most of my working life as a Civil Engineer maintaining, designing and building railways, first in Australia and then in the UK. Even did some work in China helping design railways in Africa to be built by China.

Now (pre COVID-19) a volunteer with a local heritage railway. Here are a couple of videos

The railway is a 3'6" gauge track and runs on a branch abandoned by the WAGR. In normal times the "Steam Ranger" runs on Sundays and holidays in the winter months, a diesel train runs into the forest on Sats and Sundays and a Diesel hauled restaurant train runs Sat nights.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78