DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random Unexplained JPG on SD card

I've always had concerns about DJI's security models and mandatory logon. The mandatory logon is a result of either poor programming abilities or a big brother is watching you attitude - I suspect the second. There is no technical reason for the mandatory logon - zero. GPS coordinates provide everything the code needs to know about where you are and what flight zone restrictions may apply. Everything DJI suggests the mandatory logon is required for is bogus. I no longer buy DJI - a total lack of communication, no customer appreciation and overbearing control of the products has killed the fun of using their equipment. I expect DJI to loose their 70% market share and fall to the wayside within two years. A superior product can't hold market share when service is so terrible. Viable options are becoming available.

I really do expect this is a result of overbearing control of the product and the outcome is the issue you see. I've been monitoring network traffic to and from my DJI products. DJI does initiate communications to your drones. Unfortunately it's encrypted and I've had no luck breaking it in order to examine the packet payloads. This concerns me as DJI apparently has the potential to mix up flight data (which may be proven here) which can lead to misguided criminal charges should DJI participate in a law enforcement investigation of another owner. I sent my Phantom 4 in for service and got back a different machine. On that machine found photos and the previous owners logon ID and physical location using GPS coordinates left on the hardware. I actually contacted the guy halfway around the world just to confirm I wasn't crazy. I've disabled the network connection and no longer update my DJI products. Once they die, no more DJI for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew F and HSK
I just pulled the SD card from my Mavic and I have one .jpg picture that I never took. It is an indoor picture of a room that I have never seen. I know the Mavic sometimes takes random pictures, but this is literally a place I have never been. The file details are 12/31/2097 at 11:00pm.

Here is the picture.

View attachment 17972

This is really weird! Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have any explanation what this could be or how it could happen?
It probably was a referb.

I bought one of those indoor self-contained surveillance cameras at Best Buy. It had a motion detector feature where it would take a photograph and email it to you if someone or something walked in front of it. I used it for about a week and realized that the quality wasn't that great so I returned it. I reset it to factory specs before boxing it up. About two weeks later, I started receiving a bunch of emails with attached photographs of some guy in his underwear sitting on his couch. It appeared he must've bought the returned camera and was playing around with it and it started sending me his photos. It was pretty freaky so I notified Best Buy and the emails stopped right away. Of course, had the subject of the photographs been a hot chick, perhaps I would've waited a little longer to report it but I was not interested in getting an inbox full of snapshots from the whitey tighty sausage show.

I bought one of those indoor self-contained surveillance cameras at Best Buy. It had a motion detector feature where it would take a photograph and email it to you if someone or something walked in front of it. I used it for about a week and realized that the quality wasn't that great so I returned it. I reset it to factory specs before boxing it up. About two weeks later, I started receiving a bunch of emails with attached photographs of some guy in his underwear sitting on his couch. It appeared he must've bought the returned camera and was playing around with it and it started sending me his photos. It was pretty freaky so I notified Best Buy and the emails stopped right away. Of course, had the subject of the photographs been a hot chick, perhaps I would've waited a little longer to report it but I was not interested in getting an inbox full of snapshots from the whitey tighty sausage show.
Rotflmao
No tighty whitey sausage fest parties for you? **** those best buy employees. This makes minnesnowta look a lil off.

Reactions: Clear Water WI
Unlikely as it seems, someone must have borrowed your Mavic and made the photo. I had this happen on my film camera years ago. Someone took several snaps of a blue jay running loose in my kitchen. Discovered them when I got the film developed. Never figured out who did it.

Were you missing any valuables that day?

Reactions: geigy
I just pulled the SD card from my Mavic and I have one .jpg picture that I never took. It is an indoor picture of a room that I have never seen. I know the Mavic sometimes takes random pictures, but this is literally a place I have never been. The file details are 12/31/2097 at 11:00pm.

Here is the picture.

View attachment 17972

This is really weird! Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have any explanation what this could be or how it could happen?

It could have been on the SD card when you got it. There are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.

@Srcrain any more news for us??
No update. Hasn't happened since, so I am at a loss. My guess it is something to do with the SD card and my computer when I transferred files. I always take the SD card out to move files, so that is the most logical explanation.

Interestingly, I have experience this very same thing! Unfortunately, I was busy at the time when I noticed the 2097 date or something really far in the future like that, but I just gave it a, "Hmph.", deleted it and went about my merry way. Next time, I'll pay more attention!

c3fbfb48bfd6a2c9c680cb6bb01c6b29.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much

What is the brand of the sd card youre using? Maybe ask the company directly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB