DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Reduction at Higher Elevations

moldorf

Reactions
we will be spending a lot of time over the next 3-4 months at elevations between 6000-8000 feet. If I figure the 'real' flight time of a Mini-2 battery is 25-26 minutes, how many minutes should I deduct from that estimate when flying at elevations in the 6000-8000 foot range?

The Wind Ratio at 8000 ft will be Fierce , so you will have to negotiate every flight.
My advice is to preset a 15 minute flight and move up in increments as the day feels comfortable.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. < Land on the Water ,

Reactions: eva2000 and moldorf
at those elevations there is going to be much less lift, as you are aware ,which means the drone will be consuming more battery power just to stay airborne ,also be aware of quickly changing wind directions and powerful updrafts/downdrafts, as the topography changes,personally i would try a hover test with a full battery, before you fly off into the blue yonder,which will give you a base line to work off , enjoy your adventure

we will be spending a lot of time over the next 3-4 months at elevations between 6000-8000 feet. If I figure the 'real' flight time of a Mini-2 battery is 25-26 minutes, how many minutes should I deduct from that estimate when flying at elevations in the 6000-8000 foot range?
Your drone has a service ceiling of 13000 feet.
ALthough there will be some effect due to the altitude at 6-8000 ft, it shouldn't be much.
The Wind Ratio at 8000 ft will be Fierce , so you will have to negotiate every flight.
My advice is to preset a 15 minute flight and move up in increments as the day feels comfortable.
There's no such thing as a "wind ratio" and just because he's going to be at 6000 feet doesn't mean that he will have to face fierce winds.
He's not going to be flying at 6-8000 ft AGL.

Reactions: orionshooter
Meta is definitely correct. . . .I fly at 14K MSL often with my mini 2 and was concerned about the service ceiling but I don't really even notice battery life going way down, probably does a bit. . . while density altitude does reduce lift it also, to a degree, reduces drag on the props. . . wind is wind, more of it at altitude and even more of it without ground friction slowing it down. Personally, if I'm flying down wind in bigger winds, I do that on a fresh battery if I am concerned. I also make a plan where I can drop into a wind sheltered area that I can see and keep radio contact and bring it home from down there in the wind shadow. . . in reality, that has never happened. Once in a HUGE down draft wind I was forced to fly down a slope to keep it off the deck till a lull allowed me to come home and catch it.
So yea, these are generally unfounded fears in my world, in worst case seniors, simply stay calm, do not ever fly in bigger winds, down wind on a low battery. As a professional pilot my advise is, never force a landing, especially out of fear, just wait, calm down in a safe less windy alcove if possible and land when you sense a lull. The only time to ignore that advice is when you foolishly ran the battery down way too far OR, if you know conditions are only going to deteriorate quickly in the near future, ie rain and associated gust fronts. . .stuff like that. . . I live over 6k MSL, never crash a drone due to wind. . . always from seeing an incredible shot on screen while flying sideways or backwards and then. . . oops! Hope that helps

I take-off at right about a mile MSL. My max practical endurance on the Mini-2 is about 20-22 min, less in Sport mode.

Of course, I don't try to completely drain the battery before I land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky