DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions/Wishes from a New Drone Flyer

quickcut

Reactions
So I'm pretty new to flying drones recently getting a DJI Mini 2. I've been flying it fairly well except for today where it got caught up in some tree branches and ended up messing up the gimbal. This happened by some bad luck and timing... I had my drone in my backyard and flew it about 150 feet in the air and then forward. I was inside my home though when I'm usually outside and have it in sight. I thought I was free of obstruction based on where I elevated and went forward and hit the "auto landing" option on the DJI fly app. So it either didn't bring it directly downward and moved forward or I misjudged where the drone was.

Anyway I'm curious about some features and/or gaps with the drone market in general. If any of you can enlighten me I would be very appreciative as I am to just have found this forum.

1.) Obstacle Avoidance Features: I understand higher priced drones like the DJI Mini 3 has obstacle avoidance built in. Will this automatically move the drone away from any obstruction in any direction and by pass the controller? In other words if I'm pushing down to bring the drone lower and there is an obstacle below me that's near will it move the drone out of the way of it despite me holding the controller stick down?

2.) Do any drones have a feature to flip it over if it lands upside down?

3.) I've noticed that when my controller signal becomes weak the drone screen seems frozen when I try to move my drone, but I see the arrow on the maps moving in the direction I move my stick and it eventually will come back. Is the drone still getting the signal even though it seems like the app fly screen is no longer responding in real time?

4.) Is having the separate controller versus your cell phone a big plus? I think it's cool in that I can obviously look at other things on my phone without interfering with my drone app. Plus I would be able to take a picture of my drone in the air with my phone. I imagine the range it provides is no different though.

5.) Some really expensive drones allow you to look goggles or a headset in first person view right? I know it's subjective but how awesome is this experience :)

So it either didn't bring it directly downward and moved forward or I misjudged where the drone was.
Autolanding would have descended vertically, but if you wanted to confirm that, post your flight data and someone can check for you.
Trees are the #1 enemy of drones and if you choose to fly close to trees, you need to be extra careful.
2.) Do any drones have a feature to flip it over if it lands upside down?
No ... but drones don't land upside down.
But they could end up upside down if you crash on the way down.
3.) I've noticed that when my controller signal becomes weak the drone screen seems frozen when I try to move my drone, but I see the arrow on the maps moving in the direction I move my stick and it eventually will come back. Is the drone still getting the signal even though it seems like the app fly screen is no longer responding in real time?
If the signal is blocked, the drone doesn't have an alternative method to receive signal.
Your description isn't quite clear.
Perhaps your signal wasn't completely blocked or maybe the Failsafe RTH section of your manual would explain what you observed.

Re 4) and this is a personal viewpoint, I don't like "all my eggs in one basket" so I do not favour a combined controller and screen. Break the screen of such a device and you probably render the controller all but useless, break a phone's screen and you can swap phones.

5) Goggles can be great but their use may require the presence of a spotter if you wish to fly legally. Secondly some people find they cause dizziness etc. so they are not everyone's 'cup of tea".

Regarding you other points, might I suggest reading the manuals of any drones that interest you, details of drone behaviour vary quite a lot depending on the model, especially concerning RTH behaviour. Some drones disable OA during 'automated' landings.

You didn't have VLOS. That was the problem.

As far as your questions:

!. Obstacle Avoidance is a great thing but NOTHING beats VLOS. Yes, The higher end drones like the M3 have complete avoidance. Its a nice safety net after VLOS.

2. DJI drones don't land "upside down."

3. there is a slight delay in transmission (maybe a second or two) but if youre having cut-outs I would suggest making sure youre completely updated with your software and firmware. Obviously, you know to keep the drone like a kite with nothing between you and the drone. right?

4. A separate controller like the RC Pro is an awesome benefit if you have the extra $1200 sitting around... If not, maybe a cheap dedicated screen like a used phone would be a great option. Personally, I splurged and bought a tablet just to use for my screen. If you're going to use your own phone maybe think about shutting off calls and text notifications so you aren't inundated with your idiot friends disturbing you while you fly... Also, always reboot your phone before flying just to clear cache and running apps, etc...

5. I had the og DJI goggles on my Mavic Pro in 2019 and it was quite awesome. I found it to be quite cumbersome to tote around, though, after a while and the set up time was annoying and also the fact that you're completely unaware of your immediate surroundings where you sit is a big bummer... Some of the current drone models even require 3rd party dongles which add even more frustration. its worth trying but as a serious photographer, its really handicapping after the novelty wears off.

...I was inside my home though when I'm usually outside and have it in sight...
Rule #1: You need to always have your drone in sight. ALWAYS. No exceptions.

If you want to control it from inside your home (really not a good idea) you would need to be able to have it in view all the time, which would limit you to what flight you could see out the window entirely (the entire flight, from launch to landing). Failing to do that is not only illegal, it's dangerous (to your drone, to other people). Also, your drone may (probably will) lose the signal for the controller (radio signals can go through some stuff, but walls of a building will be a roll of the dice...you should be aware that you may lose signal just from trees and leaves, never mind the walls of a building...). If (or I should probably say when) you lose signal, the drone will follow it's pre-programmed instructions (did you specify what it should do in case the signal is lost?) which may be/often is to rise up to a higher altitude and head for its home point. That's a VERY common way drones wind up in trees.

What you are describing ("the drone screen seems frozen when I try to move my drone") sounds like signal loss. Bad things can and will happen.

Before you fly your drone again, you need to check out the basic regulations (the regulations apply to us all, whether you know about the regs or not). If you are flying your drone without looking at it, that's a pretty big red flag right there and an indication (IMHO) you should leave it turned off until you learn the most basic requirements. Keeping it in sight is one of the first.

Sorry, it's not a toy, the FAA takes the regs seriously, and flying your drone around from inside your house is not a smart thing to do.

Put down the drone, learn the basics (and take the TRUST test) before you fly again - look here:

FAA Drone Zone

Just a small clarification - FPV drones can and do wind up upside down at times. There is "Turtle mode" which can flip the drone rightside up.

Install a booster in the controller or external antennas, I fly indoors all the time. Once you have the Mhz leads outside the controller you can plug them into any of the like outdoor antennas or vehicle roof mounted antennas you want and fly from the comfort of your couch or drivers seat. But for what you more than likely want to do, I would suggest a set of goggles and the Litchi app so you can split the screen, way better flying with goggles on than putting your phone on the controller, or if you want to use DJI's turdy software go with drone mask. Im running Alpha Networks antennas on my Mini 2, I have a Mini 3 but it just sits around and doesn't get used, my Mini 2 out performs it in distance and stability by far, I don't care about the camera on my Mini 2 pointing vertically nor do I care about forward sensors because I fly with goggles on. There is so much technology in these Minis, I could have probably invaded Iraq with it solo 20 years ago :)

Obstacle avoidance does not work on most trees, especially without foliage on them. Never count on OA, think of it as a safety net that is no guarantee just like airbags in your car.

Reactions: quickcut
Just a small clarification - FPV drones can and do wind up upside down at times. There is "Turtle mode" which can flip the drone rightside up.
I think Mavics are probably about the worst drones in terms of potential "turtle-ability" because their shape is likely to put all four props on the ground if they're upside-down...which is probably why DJI doesn't even bother with the feature. The Avata, on the other hand, has more ground clearance for the props when it's on its back!

No ... but drones don't land upside down

Yeah so I clearly used the wrong sentence here lol. I meant of course if it were to crash and fall and end up upside down.

If the signal is blocked, the drone doesn't have an alternative method to receive signal.
Your description isn't quite clear.
Perhaps your signal wasn't completely blocked or maybe the Failsafe RTH section of your manual would explain what you observed.

Yeah I'm thinking it wasn't completely blocked so it was just reacting slower due to the weak signal. I believe the RTH would occur should I lose signal completely right?

Re 4) and this is a personal viewpoint, I don't like "all my eggs in one basket" so I do not favour a combined controller and screen. Break the screen of such a device and you probably render the controller all but useless, break a phone's screen and you can swap phones.

I only have 1 phone so I guess I'd be in the same predicament. I think it might be nice to not have to connect the phone each time and still have it on hand in case an emergency or critical call comes through.
5) Goggles can be great but their use may require the presence of a spotter if you wish to fly legally. Secondly some people find they cause dizziness etc. so they are not everyone's 'cup of tea".

Oh if it causes dizziness that would be bad.. I wish I could test this experience somewhere.
Rule #1: You need to always have your drone in sight. ALWAYS. No exceptions.

If you want to control it from inside your home (really not a good idea) you would need to be able to have it in view all the time, which would limit you to what flight you could see out the window

Yeah trust me I learned my lesson with this one. I was actually near it and by my porch window but i eventually lost sight and obviously miscalculated which when I landed it in my yard it hit tree branches on the way down and broke. I'll be taking that Trust before going out and flying again.

Oh wow that is awesome if it can do that.. only FPV ones though huh?

Install a booster in the controller or external antennas, I fly indoors all the time. Once you have the Mhz leads outside the controller you can plug them into any of the like outdoor antennas or vehicle roof mounted antennas you want and fly from the comfort of your couch or drivers seat. But for what you more than likely want to do, I would suggest a set of goggles and the Litchi app so you can split the screen, way better flying with goggles on than putting your phone on the controller, or if you want to use DJI's turdy software go with drone mask. Im running Alpha Networks antennas on my Mini 2, I have a Mini 3 but it just sits around and doesn't get used, my Mini 2 out performs it in distance and stability by far, I don't care about the camera on my Mini 2 pointing vertically nor do I care about forward sensors because I fly with goggles on. There is so much technology in these Minis, I could have probably invaded Iraq with it solo 20 years ago :)

I'll admit I'm new and maybe even slow lol. I'm trying to picture/understand what the booster or external antenna does...is this just for improved signal?

How could the mini 2 out perform the 3 when the 3 has better overall specs?
Obstacle avoidance does not work on most trees, especially without foliage on them. Never count on OA, think of it as a safety net that is no guarantee just like airbags in your car.

Is this the case in general or is it better on some drones versus other? I mean all things being equal with drones having it in the same directions of course..
I think Mavics are probably about the worst drones in terms of potential "turtle-ability" because their shape is likely to put all four props on the ground if they're upside-down...which is probably why DJI doesn't even bother with the feature. The Avata, on the other hand, has more ground clearance for the props when it's on its back!

What do you mean by props? If it's flipped over correctly isn't that ideal?

Oh if it causes dizziness that would be bad.. I wish I could test this experience somewhere.
try making a'spectacle' frame from cardboard and load the video from a flight onto the phone. Slip the phone into the frame and ensure that the spectacle frame blocks all peripheral sight of your surrroundings and see how well your stomach/balance holds up.

With regards to Mavic style drone's flipping themselves upright if on the ground upside down, if anything blocks a prop blade from turning the motors will not start. I have had a grass stop a motor start, I had set the drone down to close to the grass. Mavic;s do not have the power /torque etc. in the motors to flip a drone over from stationary motor start.

Beides....don't Avata props sit 'buried' in some form of ducting that would mean a flat surface doesnt bear on the actual blades?

I believe the RTH would occur should I lose signal completely right?
Yes .. read Failsafe RTH in the manual
I'm trying to picture/understand what the booster or external antenna does...is this just for improved signal?
There's no need for a booster.
the original equipment is good for more miles than you want to fly.
How could the mini 2 out perform the 3 when the 3 has better overall specs?
They are both quite similar in performance.
Any difference would be hard to detect in actual use.
Is this the case in general or is it better on some drones versus other? I mean all things being equal with drones having it in the same directions of course..
It's the same for all models.
OA cannot be relied on in all circumstances, particularly in poor lighting or with thin wires, branches etc.
The manual has a list of circumstances that are difficult for OA.
The most effective OA is to avoid flying near obstacles
What do you mean by props?
Props = propellers

With regards to Mavic style drone's flipping themselves upright if on the ground upside down, if anything blocks a prop blade from turning the motors will not start.

ah yes this is true... I guess if it could flip over though you at least have a chance.

It's the same for all models.
OA cannot be relied on in all circumstances, particularly in poor lighting or with thin wires, branches etc.
The manual has a list of circumstances that are difficult for OA.
The most effective OA is to avoid flying near obstacles

Good to know... I agree flying well is the best remedy!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky