DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range with Mavic Zoom and Goggles RE

I just meant I believed the goggles were still managing to interfere..just by being powered on.
ive tried linking to an other option on the menu...pro or phantom, and after it can’t connect powering off.
The WiFi options no longer appear on the goggles menu,but the goggles still manage to effect the drone to sc signal range,that vastly improves,when goggles are powered off
Update I have managed to get the goggles disconnected,and now working via the HDMI output on the smart controller,so that's something...but the saga to get the goggles repaired is a total pain in the ***.
After God knows how many emails,3 different people taking charge of my case,and upgrading the complaint (wtf does that even mean?)
I have been told the goggles must be sent to China and I'm paying postage and dealing with customs.
The will examine the goggles for owner damage,and if then try find the problem.
I told them,they already know what's wrong with them,as so many people have the same range problem,they are just turning a blind eye,and still selling the RE goggles.
I think it's wrong that if you buy Dji products in certain country's ,in my case Thailand where I'm based,if anything goes wrong your in trouble.
I gave them an example ,that if my car I bought last year had any kind of problem under warranty,I would take it to the nearest Honda showroom,and probably even have a courtesy car till it was fixed.
The company with some kind of repairs connection to Dji based in Thailand have no training to repair goggles.
The were meant to assist me in sending the goggles through customs to China,but they haven't even replied to my emails,and Dji in Hong Kong are trying to get them to get the finger out.
I can see this turning in to a compleat farce,getting the goggles back in 2 months after being stuck in customs,with a note saying "we could not find any fault fault" ?.
Starting to think is all this with it.
The emails are so polite,but you know they are just following policy,and won't budge,regardless if the get bad feedback on this forum.
I would advice anyone buying Dji in country's with no service centre to think twice.
Geez if the M2Z or SC stop working...I will explode ????.
This thread went rather quiet,are there RE goggles discarded in the cuboard,or has anyone managed to find there own fix....please no one suggest the Pagoda Arial ?

I just tried the Goggles RE and at about 1,000 ft, i lost connection. From what I have read, I guess i should just send them back.
Yes send them back,DJI will not admit a large % of re goggles have this issue.
The fixed mine,and now work great.
I bought a 2nd hand white set as I thought it might be a long wait to get my re goggles back.
The white ones worked perfectly.
‘My CE version M2Z has flown almost 5000 mtr in FCC mode with re goggles,after buying the NLD software hack.

Reactions: RadioK
THanks @Pushkur

I am going to initiate a Return through Amazon if i don't hear from DJI in a day. I don't think it's right that i Pay a lot of $$ and have to send the Goggles in after 1 use (the initial trial flight) as they are defective.

Yes send them back,DJI will not admit a large % of re goggles have this issue.
The fixed mine,and now work great.
I bought a 2nd hand white set as I thought it might be a long wait to get my re goggles back.
The white ones worked perfectly.
‘My CE version M2Z has flown almost 5000 mtr in FCC mode with re goggles,after buying the NLD software hack.
I read that i didn't need to install the antenna when connecting to a Mavic 2 Pro, then I just read somewhere else that i should. Do I need to install the 5.8GHZ Antenna?

Yes you should the default mode for the m2p/z is Dual band meaning 2.4ghz 5.8 ghz.
I read that i didn't need to install the antenna when connecting to a Mavic 2 Pro, then I just read somewhere else that i should. Do I need to install the 5.8GHZ Antenna?

I have the Goggles RE which I pair with a Mavic 2 Pro, and I can say without a doubt that you need to install the pagoda antenna, even though it is said to be for analog use only, which I guess refers to transmission to/from certain racing copters. I really don't know a lot about them. I forgot to install the antenna once, and the signal dropped out at about 1000'.

I let others use them mostly, while I fly using my iPad. I noticed that if the goggles do not have direct line of sight (LOS) with the copter, I would also lose downlink from the copter to my iPad, even if I had direct LOS via the remote. They are a strange bird these goggles.

Reactions: ktrunkett
You can easily test this by setting the mp2 to 5.8ghz through go4 and then the goggles to 5.8ghz and try with and without antenna. I found the distance doubled with the antenna. If you don't want to use the antenna the best way to go is to set the mp2 to 2.4ghz and goggles same no antenna needed. You must set these frequencies as the default for the mp2 is Dual band being 2.4 & 5.8ghz.
I have the Goggles RE which I pair with a Mavic 2 Pro, and I can say without a doubt that you need to install the pagoda antenna, even though it is said to be for analog use only, which I guess refers to transmission to/from certain racing copters. I really don't know a lot about them. I forgot to install the antenna once, and the signal dropped out at about 1000'.

I let others use them mostly, while I fly using my iPad. I noticed that if the goggles do not have direct line of sight (LOS) with the copter, I would also lose downlink from the copter to my iPad, even if I had direct LOS via the remote. They are a strange bird these goggles.

You can easily test this by setting the mp2 to 5.8ghz through go4 and then the goggles to 5.8ghz and try with and without antenna. I found the distance doubled with the antenna. If you don't want to use the antenna the best way to go is to set the mp2 to 2.4ghz and goggles same no antenna needed. You must set these frequencies as the default for the mp2 is Dual band being 2.4 & 5.8ghz.
Good info. I have to say though, I was less than impressed with the goggles. Part of it is due to my 50 something year old eyes for sure, even with the corrective inserts, and the whole thing just seems cumbersome. Like I mentioned above, I mostly let others wear them while I 'take them for a flight', and some think it's amazing, while others had to take them off due to motion sickness. Either way, they are what they are, and I keep them around because there is a certain novelty about them for sure.

Reactions: ktrunkett

I sent mine back for refund. As the instructions didn't say to install the pagoda antenna when connecting to the M2P. So, i didn't get to test.

@Pushkur
[...]

Could you please give us some more details - your AC fw version, RC fw version, RE Goggles fw version, NLD modded DJI GO Apk version, settings made within NLD software (NLD version 1.9.3.7???) when patching AC fw & DJI GO Apk?

I have just bought a second hand M2P with the original fw 01.00.0100, and I have become a NLD customer, just to get rid of all the DJI restrictions forced into more recent firmware versions.
I would like to buy DJI RE Goggles to use them with my M2P, but after a long study of all the problems that people have with such a combo, I am afraid of crashing my toy due to the signal loss, so I would like to duplicate your settings into my environment. You are my last hope :)

I have both the white goggles,and the black RE version.
The RE were sent back to DJI,as the range was terrible, as many others owners have found.
After repairing them,they work just the same as the white version,but with 5.8 .
I mainly use the SC,but the standard remote works just as well,and may even slightly increase the range.
NLD gave me FCC range,and I made a few other small changes to overcome certain restrictions.
I have lost signal on a number of occasions,because of trees and buildings while using the goggles ,but never had a problem with RTH,and I usually take control again when the signal reconnects,the goggles when working properly have a great range.
If you want to play safe,buy a 2nd hand set of DJI white goggles,the range is excellent with M2P etc,but if flying in town enviroment with interference, the RE with 5.8 is useful.
The real problem is there are so many faulty sets of RE goggles,and DJI won’t acknowledge there is a problem that should have led to a recall. Amazon might be your safest bet if you buy a set with the range issue.
I believe the board was changed in mine, and now can reach over 5,000 meters in a suitable location..
I bought the white version from someone locally, to use untill I got the RE goggles back from Dji,they can be used as a 2nd set via the SC Hdmi outlet for friends to view with.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have both the white goggles,and the black RE version.
The RE were sent back to DJI,as the range was terrible, as many others owners have found.
After repairing them,they work just the same as the white version,but with 5.8 .
I mainly use the SC,but the standard remote works just as well,and may even slightly increase the range.
NLD gave me FCC range,and I made a few other small changes to overcome certain restrictions.
I have lost signal on a number of occasions,because of trees and buildings while using the goggles ,but never had a problem with RTH,and I usually take control again when the signal reconnects,the goggles when working properly have a great range.
If you want to play safe,buy a 2nd hand set of DJI white goggles,the range is excellent with M2P etc,but if flying in town enviroment with interference, the RE with 5.8 is useful.
The real problem is there are so many faulty sets of RE goggles,and DJI won’t acknowledge there is a problem that should have led to a recall. Amazon might be your safest bet if you buy a set with the range issue.
I believe the board was changed in mine, and now can reach over 5,000 meters in a suitable location..
I bought the white version from someone locally, to use untill I got the RE goggles back from Dji,they can be used as a 2nd set via the SC Hdmi outlet for friends to view with.
I bought through Amazon, and received. I couldn't go more than 1,000 FT before disconnect. I contacted DJI and they wanted me to return them to DJI for repair. After having the RE goggles for a day, i returned via Amazon Return. I was charged $110 by the seller as the product was not in NEW condition (They indicated I opened it). I contacted Amazon letting them know i received a Defective Product, and they are working with the seller on my behalf. If i don't get the full refund, Amazon said they would take care of under their "A to Z" return policy and DING the seller (FlySafe CR ).

I have two sets of RE goggles that I purchased from Ebay for testing. Both of them lose signal at about 1000-1500 feet using the Smart Controller for my Mavic 2 Zoom. Using the original Zoom controller the video and signal drops about 800-1000 feet. I am using the stock setting of dual band with the pagoda antenna ( I can definitely say without the antenna I was getting half the range. All tests are performed in a heavily wooded neighborhood at about 300 ft altitude

I am going to try using an OTG cable next with the goggles. From what I am reading it works?
Frankly I am not surprised as this is the reason we started using the OTG cable with the Spark. Crap range without it

I have two sets of RE goggles that I purchased from Ebay for testing. Both of them lose signal at about 1000-1500 feet using the Smart Controller for my Mavic 2 Zoom. Using the original Zoom controller the video and signal drops about 800-1000 feet. I am using the stock setting of dual band with the pagoda antenna ( I can definitely say without the antenna I was getting half the range. All tests are performed in a heavily wooded neighborhood at about 300 ft altitude

I am going to try using an OTG cable next with the goggles. From what I am reading it works?
Frankly I am not surprised as this is the reason we started using the OTG cable with the Spark. Crap range without it
Don't think cable will help,as I had short range with both the SC and stock remote,but got good distance when I tried the white goggles.
The re goggles were sent back to Dji and when they came back after repair,they worked perfect over long distances.
With FCC if been over 6,000 with the goggles (in a safe rural environment far from planes and motorways)
It's shocking how many faulty short range re goggles were sold.
Buying 2nd hand on ebay
(if that's what you did ?) risks buying someone else's faulty goggles.
White 2nd hand version on eBay are cheap ,and don't have the distance issue.
Dji will only repair the faulty board if you insist on sending them for test and repair.
If they were a car company the would be forced to recall them!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada