DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range with Mavic Zoom and Goggles RE

Based on what you have said when you activate your goggles the antennas inside the said goggles take over as the Tx and Rx is that correct ? Although if that is the case how are the controls on the Tx controlling the M2 ? Sorry if it sounds confusing. The main reason for my injury is i have the Titan Switch Antennas set up and if the goggles take over when connected then it makes them useless when used together. Thanks
Hey again Max,
So it seems very probable that once the Goggles RE link up to the M2, its antenna array does take over comms... Im unsure if both antenna arrays (the RE's and the RC) can both be communicating with the M2 simultaneously. It doesnt seem likely but then again, Ocusync is an SDR technology (as opposed to Lightbridges mostly hardware based), so its possible.

If your Titan antennas on your M2 RC are disconnectable w/o alot of work, you might try doing that, after the RE are connected, but that could be a scary prospect with your drone in the air?

I am flying in an area of desert. Mostly open with some sparse areas of homes, power lines, cell towers and broadband broadcasting. If I let the drone, controller and goggles just turn and fly in the default boot up mode I only get about 4000 feet before the dreaded B&W screen. If I make the changes I described in the earlier post before I turn on the goggles I do not have these issues.

Thx for the info.
Im going to try your startup method, in both areas (Over lake - no rf interference & over residences - wifi infested) and see how that goes... Probably going to wait for a warmer day though!

Im still convinced that the software in the RE are just ill-tuned for RF interference (I mean the white Goggles are solid 4+km so...), but I suppose if it were a simple fix, DJI wouldnt keep ignoring us all and fix it... Or would they?

Last edited:
I got mine to work!! I went into the HD menu and set the Channel from Dual to 2.4 GHz. I then set the Channel Mode to Custom and choose 20 MHz. Once all this was done I turned on the goggles. I was able to fly over 2 miles and back with the goggles! All in glorious HD. Let me know if this works
for any of the rest of you.

I have the white dji goggles and I can go out one mile and then I get the low signal message and the screen in the goggles gets bad.I want to extend thins distance of FPV with goggles. I've been reading in another forum here regarding range for the last two days. Those folks are using a tablet and not goggles. I want to know what to try and your method appears promising. Do you make these settings in the googles? Thanks.

Question for the group.

After many months of nudging DJI to address the range issue with the Goggle RE and Mavic 2 Pro, they have just asked me to send them back the unit so they can “replace the core board” *See attached email.

My question is this, before I send these Goggles all the way back to China, has anyone on here seen or know of anyone who owns a pair of the Goggles RE and Mavic 2 Pro who have not had an issue? Because it appears to me that everyone with this combo has the same exact issue, just wondering that if it’s a design flaw then sending them back would just be a waste of time.

Thanks

Attachments

• DJI Email.png
    DJI Email.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 44
Yes, over at the official DJI forum it seems to be a few with no issues.

There is many threads there about this issue.

Not to put too big of a monkey wrench into this, I got a Smart Remote Controller a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to use it in conjunction with my RE Goggles. To my surprise, the disconnection issues have disappeared when I use the RE Goggles with the SRC. I've been pushing both distance (3 miles) and RF pollution environments and did not have a single disconnection that ended up not immediately recovering. Each flight had all communications set to Auto - no tricks there except I always use 720p (Normal mode), not HD. The latter clearly tends to break up (pixelate - not disconnect) when the signal gets weaker but that is no different from the RC/Smart Device. This to me is definitive proof that the issue is not with the Goggles, but with the original remote controller. Now what is unclear is if it is a hardware issue with the original RC or if it can be (and will be) solved with a firmware upgrade.

So, sending it back - not sure that is the right forward step. However, making DJI support/engineering aware of this phenomenon might potentially result in solving the problem with the standard controller and RE Goggles.

Thats really huge and very important info you just shared with me (and possibly others) Roamer.

I actually received my new Smart Controller about 2 weeks ago, I gave up on my M2P + Goggles RE synced together a while back, so the Goggles have sadly been sitting in my drawer just collecting dust, and I never even thought to try them again with my new SRC... as soon as the weather breaks here in the Northeast I will give it a try and report back to the group.

If it solves the issue for me as well then you are correct that it's always been with the old controller... and you saved me from shipping them to China for no reason at all.

Thanks!

Finally had a chance to fly my Mavic 2 Pro with my new Smart Controller and Goggles RE.

My results….for the first time since owning the M2P and Goggles RE together, I was able to reach 3 miles (in SD mode) easily. Was also able to keep it in HD mode for about a mile.

I never thought that the culprit would be the original M2P RC unit. I am super happy to be able to use my Goggles RE again.

I will be curious over time to see how DJI responds to this clear design issue with their original controller.

Thanks again Roamer for the heads up for me to try it.

This issue sucks considering DJI is STILL SELLING M2P AND RE GOGGLES AS A PACKAGE. I tried the RE goggles once, they cut out at 500 meters and then put them back in the box as it was not worth risking my drone with and unnecessary loss of connection/control. Being an ex comm helicopter pilot I treat any loss of control situation as a potential threat to persons or property which is unacceptable to me.

Finally had a chance to fly my Mavic 2 Pro with my new Smart Controller and Goggles RE.

My results….for the first time since owning the M2P and Goggles RE together, I was able to reach 3 miles (in SD mode) easily. Was also able to keep it in HD mode for about a mile.

I never thought that the culprit would be the original M2P RC unit. I am super happy to be able to use my Goggles RE again.

I will be curious over time to see how DJI responds to this clear design issue with their original controller.

Thanks again Roamer for the heads up for me to try it.
I don't have a smart control but I have managed 5/6km with my zoom and RE goggles all in 1080p and I no it can go further clear line of site but I no something is still not right why can't I use Dual mode why I need the pagoda antenna but mine work so my RC must be ok. I think this is why there's a problem it's not consistent with everyone. And I'm on ce mode hear in Australia and the distances I'm getting are amazing. Go figure. Safe flying

Not sure that this is the real reason. Based on my tests and observed behavior it seems more like a fundamental control protocol issue. For example, if there are no goggles and all is set to Automatic the GO 4 app is in charge to manage channel and frequency changes communicating to the M2 via RC to switch. The M2 behaves in a subordinate mode. When you add the Goggles, there is a separate connection between the M2 and the goggles. The firmware in the goggles essentially behaves much like the GO 4 app in the it wants to communicate to the M2 to switch channel/frequency if needed. The two simply collide and neither will end up knowing what the frequency should be - hence complete and abrupt loss of connection. DJI has to change/add handshake options to force the goggles to take a subordinate role when an RC is connected as well.

So if I force the frequency/channel to a fixed setting after initial RC connection to the M2 BEFORE turning on the goggles and the start the goggles, the goggles appear to be “told” during the M2 handshake that the coms are fixed (M2 can’t change) and everything works great. I flew well over 2 miles from home point without any problems.

So, once the “B engineering team” (goggle team[emoji1]) figures that out and coordinates this substantial (but not very difficult to solve) change to the ongoing handshake protocol some future firmware change affecting all components will make this all work great. Meanwhile follow my approach - I hope it will work for you too.
Which channel are you changing it to??? I will give it a try. Thanks!

The pagoda ant is purely for the Analogue function!! I've been out 10 km with both white goggles and RE gogz without pagoda.

They're a completely different product that has nothing to do with their old ones and isn't compatible with anything the originals are.
That plus the goggles now work fine for most people since the later updates, those that don't need to get replaced by DJI support which they had a specific program for.

They're a completely different product that has nothing to do with their old ones and isn't compatible with anything the originals are.
That plus the goggles now work fine for most people since the later updates, those that don't need to get replaced by DJI support which they had a specific program for.
Work fine??? Read the forums dude. DJI has not fixed the issue with the range and dropped signal with using the Zoom. I can only go out to 200 to 300 yards and then all of a sudden the signal drops and my bird is on it's way back home from return to home initiating. For the Zoom owners, DJI should have issued a full refund / credit since they were not able to fix through updates. I spent a couple grand which is a lot of money for most people...

What were you using to get that kind of range, a 5w booster? Lol
No a 8db patch. Unboosted. I've have flown the advertised 7km stock mind. My white gogz and RE ones both fly to 7kms, there has never been an issue with range out of the box.

In fact I've never had any issues of any kind with any of my DJI stuff!! You guys are so unlucky or cursed with this tech.

Work fine??? Read the forums dude. DJI has not fixed the issue with the range and dropped signal with using the Zoom.
I do have a Zoom, I did have the issue, and I don't anymore since the .400 update. Several others have reported the same.

400 update fixed it? Is everything still functional like head tracking etc.? I believe I am up to date to the latest firmware, and will double check as soon as I get home. Do you have to change any parameters around? Thank you for doing Dji supports job, lol

No parameters. No idea about head tracking, never use it. As long as I've got video and good range I'm happy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke