DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raw vs JPEG

As far as I know, all raw editors use correction files that are included in the software. The software installs new profiles/correction files during updates. This is necessary because new cameras and lenses are constantly being developed. In the case of Lightroom they are probably .lcp or maybe lcr files.
That's how it used to be but Adobe Camera Raw has not provided any updates for DJI cameras since before the P4 pro more than 2 years ago.
Nowdays Adobe software finds all it needs in the raw image files, while less mainstream programs show you the uncorrected image.

That's how it used to be but Adobe Camera Raw has not provided any updates for DJI cameras since before the P4 pro more than 2 years ago.
Nowdays Adobe software finds all it needs in the raw image files, while less mainstream programs show you the uncorrected image.

That's what I thought, but I was unable to find any good references. Is this documented anywhere?

That question seems surprisingly difficult to find a definitive answer for. Some RAW processing software, such as DxO PhotoLab, clearly has custom lens files and lists supported camera/lens combinations. Others don't appear to do that. Some software opens DJI raw image files with the distortion corrected while other software doesn't. Is all the software that applies the correction simply reading the lens details from the EXIF and then using its own correction data, or is there basic correction data embedded in the raw image file? If they are using correction files that are in the software, then where do they get those from? DxO runs tests to construct theirs - do all the software makers do that?

Under Mac OS X, even Preview opens DJI raw files with correction applied, which suggests to me that the correction data (not just the lens identifier) has to be in the image file, but maybe not.

sar104. Can you send me a M2P still raw file to play with? WeTransfer if you like... I'd like to have a play with it using Phocus & Capture One. Many thanks, m

As far as I know, all raw editors use correction files that are included in the software. The software installs new profiles/correction files during updates. This is necessary because new cameras and lenses are constantly being developed.
That is a thing, but precisely given the usual slowness and lack of updates a system has been developed to embed profile data in the files themselves.

If there is a profile supplied by the software it's typically better than the built-in one and corrects more stuff, but the built-in one is better than nothing. But then again not all software supports built-in profiles, and it seems darktable doesn't.

That's what I thought, but I was unable to find any good references. Is this documented anywhere?

Documented I don't know, but it's pretty explicit in the software itself:

Last edited:
That is a thing, but precisely given the usual slowness and lack of updates a system has been developed to embed profile data in the files themselves.

If there is a profile supplied by the software it's typically better than the built-in one and corrects more stuff, but the built-in one is better than nothing. But then again not all software supports built-in profiles, and it seems darktable doesn't.

Documented I don't know, but it's pretty explicit in the software itself:

View attachment 70976

That is definitive - thanks. Which software is that? Affinity Photo is not as clear about what is being applied.

That question seems surprisingly difficult to find a definitive answer for. Some RAW processing software, such as DxO PhotoLab, clearly has custom lens files and lists supported camera/lens combinations. Others don't appear to do that. Some software opens DJI raw image files with the distortion corrected while other software doesn't. Is all the software that applies the correction simply reading the lens details from the EXIF and then using its own correction data, or is there basic correction data embedded in the raw image file? If they are using correction files that are in the software, then where do they get those from? DxO runs tests to construct theirs - do all the software makers do that?

Under Mac OS X, even Preview opens DJI raw files with correction applied, which suggests to me that the correction data (not just the lens identifier) has to be in the image file, but maybe not.

It's interesting isn't it? Is DJI instructing it's own software on it's own quads to wright correction data into the raw images that some but not all raw editor software can read? If they are, it would be to DJI's advantage to make that data public and accessible to all and keep all DJI pilots happy. Perhaps Adobe is saying NO to keep their very large piece of the editor market very large. All I know is that for various reasons, I do not like Adobe and try to use open source software where possible. Sometimes, it bites me though.

Reactions: sar104
One of Best Software for Repair to the distorsions geometric or luminuosity is is DXO photo LAB car il applique un profil créé pour la grande majorité des COUPLES CAMERA + OBJECTIF et DXO en a réalisé pour le mavic pro 2 hasselblad!
Cela n'a, il me semble rien à voir avec les conversions LUT , que j'utilise par ailleurs, pour changer la colorimétrie globale.

Reactions: sar104
One of Best Software for Repair to the distorsions geometric or luminuosity is is DXO photo LAB car il applique un profil créé pour la grande majorité des COUPLES CAMERA + OBJECTIF et DXO en a réalisé pour le mavic pro 2 hasselblad!
Cela n'a, il me semble rien à voir avec les conversions LUT , que j'utilise par ailleurs, pour changer la colorimétrie globale.

DxO PhotoLab 2 is the raw developer that I use. It is very good.

Reactions: TheRock

DNG is a RAW image file. It is Adobe’s proprietary image standard that was created to store image data in a generic, highly-compatible format, unlike RAW files that have specific formats based on manufacturer and camera type such as Canon and Nikon, etc.. Although DNG was invented by Adobe and is supported in all Adobe applications, there are other camera manufacturers such as Leica, Hasselblad and Pentax that adopted this standard and use it in their cameras as their native and supported RAW file format. I don't have Lightroom so I can't verify this but has Adobe embedded lens correction data for cameras that shoot raw using Adobe's dng format as a thankyou rather than requiring a .lcp file as they do for other cameras? If they do, it's a dirty trick to bolster their own self interests. I also cannot verify if Lightroom's correction files are binary to prevent others from seeing the calibration data or in plain text as is the case for many editors that use the .xml correction files.

Is DJI instructing it's own software on it's own quads to wright correction data into the raw images that some but not all raw editor software can read? If they are, it would be to DJI's advantage to make that data public and accessible to all and keep all DJI pilots happy.

DNG is an open format and the specs are published, lens corrections are specified in there. Whether a camera manufacturer provides the relevant opcode in their files has nothing to do with Adobe, but if they do it's in the specified format. And once the data is there any software can make use of it, it just seems the one you use doesn't but it would be on them.

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

Note that some camera manufacturers also provide built-in lens corrections in their proprietary RAWs too, and LR makes use of those as well if no detailed profile is available.

Last edited:
DNG is an open format and the specs are published, lens corrections are specified in there. Whether a camera manufactuer provides the relevant opcode in their files has nothing to do with Adobe.
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf
Yes, that's true but I was referring to Adobe's software Lightroom which is proprietary & the code is not made public. In my opinion, Adobe's .dng is open to attract customers into buying/using Adobe software. Adobe even offers a free software to convert other raw images to .dng which as I understand, many photographers actually do. Similar to Adobe's .png format & Acrobat Reader. What's interesting is that very view camera manufacturers have adopted the .dng format and instead use their own version of raw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo