DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Interference and lost signal

QLD-pilot

Reactions
MA2 about 70m from me, lost signal, error messages mention RC Interference and Lost Signal. Fortunately got the drone back

Possible causes:
  1. My phone wifi was on (I now know that was a mistake from reading another thread here)
  2. I am 120m from a Broadband Tower (Australian NBN) broadcasting on the 2.3GHz, 3.4GHz and 3.5GHz bands
  3. I have "Krazy Karen" neighbors who have reported my drone to the police and who are nutty enough to buy jamming equipment to cause a flyaway incident

I'm guessing (1), but not entirely sure.

One other symptom: jerky video feed, where it freezes for a moment then updates from another position entirely.

Reactions: TommyP
I would probably says it's the NBN fixed wireless causing the interference, have you tried flying is a different location ?
Also have your tried using 5.8ghz ?

I've had numerous flights here (I live in this location) without a problem from the NBN Tower, so I doubt it's that somehow. But it may be. The tower is newish and may be using more and more bandwidth, hence the growing problem.

I have not flown anywhere else ..... yet.

I have changed the transmission mode from DUAL to 5.8GHz, which I believe is not as far reaching as 2.4 but has less interference. Thanks for that tip ?

1. My phone wifi was on (I now know that was a mistake from reading another thread here)
  2. I am 120m from a Broadband Tower (Australian NBN) broadcasting on the 2.3GHz, 3.4GHz and 3.5GHz bands
  3. I have "Krazy Karen" neighbors who have reported my drone to the police and who are nutty enough to buy jamming equipment to cause a flyaway incident
My guess is 2.
I never turn off my wifi or mobile data. On 4G.
Were you on 2.4GHz is so close to 2.3 that it could overload the AC receiver.
Remember they transmit in the kw erp output as against your half watt.
5.8 is far enough away in frequency so should not cause a problem. The band pass filters should block any interference.
3. would have to be solid signal to block out your RC.
Did the AC switch to RTH and come back?

Did not notice a RTH action by the MA2, but the interference and lost signal only lasted moments, so not enough time to test that.

Thanks for the responses. This forum is always good value ?

Reactions: TommyP
  1. I have "Krazy Karen" neighbors who have reported my drone to the police and who are nutty enough to buy jamming equipment to cause a flyaway incident
Jamming or interference won't cause your drone to fly away.
At worst it might swamp your control signal, which would initiate RTH.
Wireless interference is common anywhere around homes.
One other symptom: jerky video feed, where it freezes for a moment then updates from another position entirely.
The most common cause of this is a phone or tablet not coping with the demands of the app due to a too slow processor or configuration issues.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ