DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reactions to drones in public

davshev

Reactions
Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seem bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.

Last edited:
Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seemed bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.

I tend to fly only where there are no other people around for at least a mile, so please excuse my ignorance asking this, but I am really curious how close are you getting to people to get a reaction? Is it usual or in certain places, e.g., a noisy beach vs a golf course, private back yards or public city streets? Also, have you noticed an age range? Seriously, I’d think older people may not hear it as well as younger, and they are less likely to be reactive in public as kids are.

...I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it...
If someone feels they can hit it by throwing things at it, you are too close to them. You may be well within your rights and flying legally etc. but you are talking about public reactions. I fly at a park most afternoons and if someone else is there I keep it above 300 feet where it is not as noticeable. I am also not as noticeable because I operate it from inside my car (it is not that I am hiding, it is just more comfortable).

Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seem bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.
I usually get just curious folks who are delighted when they see the image on the Ipad.My most negative reaction from a woman walking by was"I hate those things,I don't even know what the F they are".I waved on her way out of the parking lot and she gave me the finger.

I’d be curious to see some report or case study that measures people’s knowledge of drones, or how familiar they are.

It would be interesting to see if awareness correlated to location or specific demographics, ie a more tech savvy city or state in general, compared to the back woods of the Deep South. (I’m relating this to the North American locale). It comes down to basic understanding of new technology

Movies make you think about what is possible...but that always make the drone to be some evil thing controlled by a malevolent A.I. (SkyNet) [emoji23]

Anyways....just an observation

over all most people are curious and just want to see it or the image it’s taking but i have run into a few idiots that cannot be reasoned with,i’ve had hikers demand i stop flying while in the desert and 2 idiot neighbors who think i can see through roofs and walls while im in my backyard,the only reason i would have any drone in the air in my backyard is to make adjustments to the camera.

I’d be curious to see some report or case study that measures people’s knowledge of drones, or how familiar they are.

It would be interesting to see if awareness correlated to location or specific demographics, ie a more tech savvy city or state in general, compared to the back woods of the Deep South. (I’m relating this to the North American locale). It comes down to basic understanding of new technology

Movies make you think about what is possible...but that always make the drone to be some evil thing controlled by a malevolent A.I. (SkyNet) [emoji23]

Anyways....just an observation
I think it is human nature, coupled with media coverage. What a person is unknowledgeable about, they tend to be either inquisitive or suspicious.

I have had both types of reactions: from "how does it work and what does it do", to "get that out of here, I don't want my privacy invaded".

And unfortunately, the 1‰ of our hobby have given the media grist for their mill....how else are you going to attract viewers, readers and listeners other than with sensational clips? The media seldom covers the other 99‰ that does good from occupational product (think search and rescue) or just plain enjoys combining RC with videography and photography.

Just my 2 cents worth. Fly responsibly and enjoy.....the haters will continue because they are misinformed and receive vicarious pleasure from their behaviour.

I usually get just curious folks who are delighted when they see the image on the Ipad.My most negative reaction from a woman walking by was"I hate those things,I don't even know what the F they are".I waved on her way out of the parking lot and she gave me the finger.
Wow, that would be the definition of ignorance. Not knowing what something is and yet hating it.

My experience has typically been more on the curiosity side of bystanders. I have had plenty people approach me and ask how it works/flys and what I can see from it. I have had youtubers ask if I could send them video. I have only had one negative experience in which I took off from a balcony at a hotel and a “gentleman” yelled at me as I was landing it claiming I was spying in his room. I politely explained that the camera was facing away from the hotel and that I could not see anything in his room from it and apologized. He did not believe that it could fly backwards. I will take blame as I was too lazy to walk down to the parking lot to takeoff and land. I was out flying two nights ago and my new neighbor came over immediately to see what I was doing so I demoed flying it at about 250’ up for him to show him what the view was like to which he replied, “I’m going to buy one and you are going to teach me to fly it.” Somebody is always going to be afraid/upset about anything. I say politely inform the individual what you are doing, show them what you can see if they are not confrontational, and let the ignoramus stay in their own lane.

I'm old enough to have seen the gradual, but massive change in how people perceive new things. When 33 1/3 records came along to replace 78 rpm records, everyone embraced the change. I can go through dozens of other examples of new technology and how pretty much everyone welcomed the new stuff.

Ever since the late 70s, and most definitely since the turn of this century, people have taken to looking at the hole in the doughnut, rather than simply enjoying the tasty pastry, and increasingly I find that a large number of people not only don't embrace the new technology, but they get very opinionated, nasty, outspoken, confrontational, and mean in expressing their often-times uninformed views.

I don't know how much of this comes from seeing too many dystopian movies about bleak futures overrun by technology (e.g., "Blade Runner"), and how much is the coarsening of our culture brought about by people learning to take anonymous pot shots at each other in public forums, and then carrying that behavior over to real life.

I agree with others that unless you are a commercial operator and have permission from local authorities, you are best off not flying where there are lots of people milling around, and also not in downtown areas, even when deserted on a weekend.

On the flip side, I do not agree with the prohibitions about flying in wilderness areas, and would not back down from some hiker who gets belligerent. Some very uninformed people have very stupid views about "harming" wildlife with a drone. I have deer, bobcats, turkey, hogs, mountain lions, and many other critters around my house and believe me, every moment of their day is spent reacting to every little thing around them. And yes, they will of course react to a drone, but to them, it is just one of about ten thousand "threats" they deal with every day, and is no different and no worse than the natural threats they constantly respond to.

Last edited:
Flying UAS
Can't fly over people.
Can't fly over occupiedcars.
Can't fly over sporting events.
Can't fly in National Parks.
Can't fly close to Airports.
But you can be crative, use zoom.
I like flying over water, lakes, rivers.
Areas that have limited number of people.
it helps also to have low noise propeller's.
Keeping your UAS in a backpack, not visable to people while in transit to where your going. I try not to attract attention to me or my Bird.

I’ve been 50 feet or more away from a boat when someone cast at my drone and another threatened to. If another boat was close to them or someone with binoculars people don’t do anything. They look at the drone as an annoying toy, not a vehicle owned by someone.

There are cameras everywhere but people worry more about a drone.

People think your spying until you show them how close you need to be to see them. Even with zoom.

It really is sad how politicians have allowed uavs to be blacklisted.. we are the snowboarders of the ski slope... the jazz music at the music conservatory.

I've flown mine all over Europe and only ever had curiosity and questions about how it works. Over in USA in a few weeks for a few weeks, so see how it is there when I go.

I just tend to respect people, however even on beaches and stuff never had anything but people wave and ask about it.

Wonder if its a location sort of thing, be interesting (not a population thing, more a media/reporting thing) I just wonder if the media portray this sort of thing differently where you are, and from that people react differently. Be an interesting survey.

As negative as I feel about it. I’ve only been kicked out of a county park once.. IN NJ They are off limits even when empty..

I’m always prepared to stop if asked or if people act upset. It’s really terrible that you can’t fly in state parks..the most beautiful places.. they aren’t giving tickets out for littering but drones are off limits.

National parks you can’t even fly above? But helicopters are still crashing into building in NYC.

They should just let part 107 pilots fly in parks.

I'm old enough to have seen the gradual, but massive change in how people perceive new things. When 33 1/3 records came along to replace 78 rpm records, everyone embraced the change. I can go through dozens of other examples of new technology and how pretty much everyone welcomed the new stuff.
If you were bone in '33, then you were 45 in '78.

As negative as I feel about it. I’ve only been kicked out of a county park once.. IN NJ They are off limits even when empty..

I’m always prepared to stop if asked or if people act upset. It’s really terrible that you can’t fly in state parks..the most beautiful places.. they aren’t giving tickets out for littering but drones are off limits.

National parks you can’t even fly above? But helicopters are still crashing into building in NYC.

They should just let part 107 pilots fly in parks.
Who says you can't fly above a Natl park?as far as I know as long as you take off and land off the park property no much they can say.

Reactions: m0j0 and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin