DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real agl ?

Sometimes this type of thing is reasonable... within close proximity of the cliffs.
Example: TO on top of the Mogollon Rim in central AZ, rise to 10 feet above TO.... then fly out 50 feet and my drone is about 2000’ above ground below it as the Rim is a giant 2000’
Escarpment stretching 250-300 miles across central AZ.

I think it's completely reasonable - in fact necessary - and should be explicitly included.

Reactions: Thomas B

Never been over 300 m AGL mostly under 100 m...

Last edited:
Well there's a nice contradictory message. "Your drone or aircraft must never be more than 400 ft from the surface of the earth" is not the same as "never fly more than 400 ft above the surface", by which they clearly do mean AGL.
The post leaves out, 400 FT above any structure, within a 400 ft radius of that structure as well. i.e. Buildings, radio or cell towers, bridges, wind turbines, etc...

Correct.

D
If one can find a way to accurately and economically measure AGL directly under the AC, please let us and DJI know.

Until then, all we have is altitude from TO altitude based on barometric pressure taken at TO.

One could maybe use GPS determined altitude, but then that's AMSL which doesn't take account for topography elevation under the AC.

OK folks let’s take it down a notch. Thank-you. Creativity is a personal thing.
Let’s get back on topic... which is, per the thread title, “real AGL?”
It is now as I took some time and deleted the OT post in this
for you.

But aside from eyeballing it, the drone will not tell you true AGL from where you are, only from where you took off, correct?

Yes you are correct.

But aside from eyeballing it, the drone will not tell you true AGL from where you are, only from where you took off, correct?

Correct. The work-around would be to use terrain aware software, which will keep the drone at a consistent altitude throughout its flight. From there it's just a matter of doing some math.

D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3