DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REALLY NEED HELP!! Mavic Mini falls from sky into the water! LOG READER NEEDED!

@LoweLilliehorn One additional piece of data for you......

0.0 0.0 IN FLIGHT0
0.0 0.2 6.2 0HOMEPOINT UPDATED. RTH ALTITUDE ADJUSTED TO 39 M!^RZ
9.2 39.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
39.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
39.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
47.2 47.2 IN FLIGHT0
47.2 107.8 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
107.8 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
118.2 118.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!LC)
122.3 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
125.2 125.2 IN FLIGHT0
125.2 153.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
153.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
153.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!C
157.3 163.2 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
163.2 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
163.2 163.5 163.5 IN FLIGHT0
207.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
207.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
207.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!-
225.2 225.2 IN FLIGHT0
225.2 239.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
239.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
239.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
302.2 302.2 IN FLIGHT0
302.2 406.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
406.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
406.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!R
439.2 439.2 IN FLIGHT0
439.2 454.6 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
454.6 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
475.1 475.1 IN FLIGHT0
538.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
538.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
538.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
545.4 546.2 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
546.2 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
546.2 564.2 564.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!

@LoweLilliehorn One additional piece of data for you......

0.0 0.0 IN FLIGHT0
0.0 0.2 6.2 0HOMEPOINT UPDATED. RTH ALTITUDE ADJUSTED TO 39 M!^RZ
9.2 39.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
39.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
39.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
47.2 47.2 IN FLIGHT0
47.2 107.8 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
107.8 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
118.2 118.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!LC)
122.3 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
125.2 125.2 IN FLIGHT0
125.2 153.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
153.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
153.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!C
157.3 163.2 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
163.2 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
163.2 163.5 163.5 IN FLIGHT0
207.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
207.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
207.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!-
225.2 225.2 IN FLIGHT0
225.2 239.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
239.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
239.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
302.2 302.2 IN FLIGHT0
302.2 406.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
406.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
406.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!R
439.2 439.2 IN FLIGHT0
439.2 454.6 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
454.6 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
475.1 475.1 IN FLIGHT0
538.2 XSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME (CODE: 30149)
538.2 STRONG WIND WARNING
538.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
545.4 546.2 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
546.2 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
546.2 564.2 564.2 JSTRONG WIND WARNING. AIRCRAFT UNABLE TO FLY STABLY. LOWER ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY AND MANUALLY RETURN TO HOME!
Yes, thank you. I’ve seen them before here on the forum. The thing that concerns me is that I never got these messages when I flew. I got one in the beginning and there after I Didn’t get any

To add to what @LoweLilliehorn said, there is no evidence of any magnetic interference nor anything else related to the compass. The suggestion is accurate, but not in this case.

Yes I am aware of how the Data Logs have all the secrets , however based on my two Phantom 4 fly aways a few years back I learned that not all secrets show up all of the time.

This is also where i learned that Magnetic Interference plays a huge role in flying drones and that these errors do not always show up on these logs.

I remember uploading my data logs on my Phantom 4 Pro and being told it was pilot error , that I did not know how to fly in atti mode.

I was somewhat bullied into not filing with DJI because of these Data Reads . Anyway I ended up sending it to DJI and they immediately came back with Magnetic Interference , Atti mode and Yaw Errors. They sent me a Coupon for 100% for a brand new Phantom 4 Pro TWICE>

So although I do believe these data reports tell most of the story, i leave room for some small error on the reads.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Hi there,
Thanks for your words! Yes, I totally agree with you. There is just one thing that I find a bit weird. That pole is made of concrete, or do you mean the pole with the flag on?
Lowe

I was referring to both poles , and Concrete can be a KILLER to the drone , check out how fast this Phantom is effected by the Concrete.

Notice how the Phantom comes to a dead stop while trying to go over the balcony , and can only now fly up and down.

Am an experienced earth dweller sitting in a warm house and looking out the icy and snowy countryside, using my thumb to feel the glass window and say, nah, it's not that cold. Haha! No offending, sailors don't sail at 200 feet above the sea level, Do you?

After viewing attentively the full video and as an old sailor, I would call this day a VERY calm day with VERY light winds (look at the flags, at the trees and at the small sailing boats in the distance). I would say no more than 3 Bf in the "gusts".
Wind is certainly not the reason of the crash or we should admit that the Mini needs absolutely no wind for flying at around 20m altitude.

I have flown drones a couple of years before, and this have never happened before
I'm sorry but I wasn't specifically trying to pin all of this on you. I was just trying to state (my opinions) of the general characteristics of many Mavic Mini losses (I specifically don't call them fly-aways). I also understand the addition of magnetic interference, and could also add lack of a GPS lock and homeport establishment and running batteries to low; but, to me the big three are not considering winds aloft; flying downwind and trying to return; and flying over water. Again, in your case, hopefully Sar104s comments about your Mini not exhibiting maximum spec'ed tilt will result in DJI replacing your drone. I've also found that over the two years I've been a member of the forums that DJI walks a reasonable line between accepting blame and replacing drones vs operator error or fraudulent claims. They are not a charity.

Regarding the comments about "no wind", if you look at the tree tops where the mini is hovering above, you can see the branches moving around fairly good. Also, if you look carefully at the surface of the water, you will notice slightly darker patches of water. These patches are actually the areas of the water surface being blown by wind on the surface. In parts of the video, you can observe these wind patches moving at a fairly good rate along the sea. Also you will notice that it is actually moving against the natural wave ripples coming towards the shoreline.
I am not saying that this "IS" the issue, but just my observation of possible wind issues.
Sorry about your loss.
Cheers.

Yes I am aware of how the Data Logs have all the secrets , however based on my two Phantom 4 fly aways a few years back I learned that not all secrets show up all of the time.

This is also where i learned that Magnetic Interference plays a huge role in flying drones and that these errors do not always show up on these logs.

I remember uploading my data logs on my Phantom 4 Pro and being told it was pilot error , that I did not know how to fly in atti mode.

I was somewhat bullied into not filing with DJI because of these Data Reads . Anyway I ended up sending it to DJI and they immediately came back with Magnetic Interference , Atti mode and Yaw Errors. They sent me a Coupon for 100% for a brand new Phantom 4 Pro TWICE>

So although I do believe these data reports tell most of the story, i leave room for some small error on the reads.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Thank you for your support! I’ve send the case in to DJI, let’s see what they have to say about it!

Hi there,
Thanks for your words! Yes, I totally agree with you. There is just one thing that I find a bit weird. That pole is made of concrete, or do you mean the pole with the flag on?
Lowe
While I don’t think there was any magnetic interference in this case, don’t forget that nearly all structural concrete will have steel rebar embedded in it. Invisible of course, but if you try to take off from a concrete base, you’ll encounter all sorts of interference with the compass. A useful app is TeslaRecorder which will give you a readout of magnetic interference.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Am an experienced earth dweller sitting in a warm house and looking out the icy and snowy countryside, using my thumb to feel the glass window and say, nah, it's not that cold. Haha! No offending, sailors don't sail at 200 feet above the sea level, Do you?

No, but the top of the mast (where in board anemometer is usually located) can be more than 80 feet above the deck and you can easily compare wind speed measured with a hand-held instrument to that measured at the top of the mast. The difference can be 2 folds depending in wind force and gusts. Any sailing person knows that the sail profile needs to be twisted in various extents to take this difference into account. Anyway, "normalized" curves of wind speed from ground surface to increasing altitude are well defined, both in a flat terrains (such calm see surface) and in uneven terrains. They look like this :

1580062742915.png

You can see that this is not a straight line and that the difference in speed is much more pronouced between the altitudes of 2m AGL (7 feet) and, say, 20m AGL (70 feet) than between 20m and 60m (your 200 feet). No need to "sail at 200 feet" for knowing this.

Pretty much the same story as mine, the only difference is that the Mini recovered about 2 feet above the water and I managed to get it back.

Check out the log at 11 minutes, the Mini dropped 27 feet and failed to respond to full power inputs. The drone has been returned to DJI and they report no fault. I have asked for them to respond to the flight log, but no reply at present.

Hard to trust the drone when it fails to respond to pilot input. I had planned to replace my Mavic Air with the Mini, but it will probably be the other way now.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada