DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REALLY NEED HELP!! Mavic Mini falls from sky into the water! LOG READER NEEDED!

How did you get this? When I am looking to the Airdata page linked at the first post, I can only see ground weather but not the inflight tab.
You have to have a paid Airdata account. The free version only shows ground wind speed.

Reactions: Thomas B
Sorry friend, at that wind speed it cannot react, regardless how you push the stick. It has 249grams of weight, motors sized for this weight and it will be still carried away by the wind and there was nothing you can do, as you were no longer in control.

The warning in your original airdata shared link show this "Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated xx times)". This is always logged when the aircraft is struggling with strong winds. We know this as we have seen other crashes and as we also fly and look at our own logs. Sadly, you had no chance as you had no experience and then pressed the RTH that in your case fast the worst decision ever as the Mini in the RTH mode hass less power than sport. It got carried further and further away. Sar was right that it did not tilt properly, but again this is expected as the motors were maxed due to wind. 100% is as much as they can deliver.

Your best bet is to contact DJI, provide the logs and hope for the best. Everything else has been said on this topic and everyone who is familiar with the subject has drawn their conclusion based on the logs and the other facts.

Sorry friend, at that wind speed it cannot react, regardless how you push the stick. It has 249grams of weight, motors sized for this weight and it will be still carried away by the wind and there was nothing you can do, as you were no longer in control.

The warning in your original airdata shared link show this "Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated xx times)". This is always logged when the aircraft is struggling with strong winds. We know this as we have seen other crashes and as we also fly and look at our own logs. Sadly, you had no chance as you had no experience and then pressed the RTH that in your case fast the worst decision ever as the Mini in the RTH mode hass less power than sport. It got carried further and further away. Sar was right that it did not tilt properly, but again this is expected as the motors were maxed due to wind. 100% is as much as they can deliver.

Your best bet is to contact DJI, provide the logs and hope for the best. Everything else has been said on this topic and everyone who is familiar with the subject has drawn their conclusion based on the logs and the other facts.
Alright. Thank you so much.
I did turn on RTH when the MM started to drop to the water. And yes, it couldn't do anything even when I had sport mode on. So if the sport mode didn't work to try to recover, but the RTH actually saved it from landing in the water and going up in the air, I thought that the RTH could solve the problem. The crash actually happened when I had sport mode on. I later turned on RTH for the last time when it struck the water...

You have to have a paid Airdata account. The free version only shows ground wind speed.
Curious, I have a paid (HD 360 Lite) AirData account and can see inflight wind data for my own flights, but just not here for this foreign flight...

Curious, I have a paid (HD 360 Lite) AirData account and can see inflight wind data for my own flights, but just not here for this foreign flight...
You have to import the remote flight log into your account to see all features available with your own account.

Hi there!
Today, me and my father went to our beach here in Onsala, Gothenburg (Sweden).
We started off starting the motors with pushing the two sticks in to the middle. Everything went as it should. We did check the wind "meter" before taking off, and it was around 2.6 m/s. No problem.
After a while when we drove our drone, the drone fell from the sky into a tree and 0,0000001 cm from a big stone. We wondered for ourselves, "wtf". How? We changed the battery, calibrated all the settings and started to lift off once again. This time, no problem.... yet.
We started to lift up to 17m and we got a message saying that the drones maximum capacity was reached. I was in sport mode, yes. Then, after a couple of seconds the message disappeared and we continued to fly. We flew over the water as you can see in the footage below. Suddenly, when we started to drive home again, the drone started to fly backwards and down to the water. Quick. I started to panic and pressed the RTH. It lifted again. Then, the drone didn't respond to my commands from the controller and down it goes to the sea. At that time, the drone crashed to the water and the drone crashed. We were unable to do anything. The drone is now on the bottom of the sea.

Now, what do we do next?
I got the flight log , but I can't read it. Maybe some of you can? Is it possible to get a refund? We bought it in November 2019.

What should we do?

We need every help we can get!
FOOTAGE:

Best regards,
Lowe Lilliehorn

Did you or anyone else notice the weak GPS signal at take off and when recording the home point? # 2 what do you have your critical battery RTH % set to? If its threshold is lower than whats available the drone will land ignoring all your user input anyways. (no offense, but I would side with DJI on this one and say user error). Your battery was almost dead at the end of the flight and with the poor GPS signal at take off - it prob didn't get a good GPS location at take off. And the further you went out to sea the stronger the winds got causing the less than 10 degree tilt that is need to provide enough thrust to go forward. There were many things causing this, user setting, poor choice when to fly, lack of experience and you cant blaim that on DJI - almost all fly aways with Mini's are based on users thinking they can fly their mini like their Mavic Pros, Pro 2's , Plat, or Enterprises.... Sorry this happened to you and your dad, but with the data you provided I doubt DJI will do anything for you. Sorry to say, this now, but you should have bought the extended service contract - worth every penny in situations like these... Good Luck!

1579561352884.png

Did you or anyone else notice the weak GPS signal at take off and when recording the home point?
Your battery was almost dead at the end of the flight and with the poor GPS signal at take off - it prob didn't get a good GPS location at take off.
What issue do you think you see in the GPS and homepoint recording?
How would that have had any effect on the problem?

That was wind on the ground. Your in flight wind looked like this:

View attachment 91405View attachment 91406

After viewing attentively the full video and as an old sailor, I would call this day a VERY calm day with VERY light winds (look at the flags, at the trees and at the small sailing boats in the distance). I would say no more than 3 Bf in the "gusts".
Wind is certainly not the reason of the crash or we should admit that the Mini needs absolutely no wind for flying at around 20m altitude.

After viewing attentively the full video and as an old sailor, I would call this day a VERY calm day with VERY light winds (look at the flags, at the trees and at the small sailing boats in the distance). I would say no more than 3 Bf in the "gusts".
Wind is certainly not the reason of the crash or we should admit that the Mini needs absolutely no wind for flying at around 20m altitude.
What you say is quite correct.
It's been shown previously that the wind strength Airdata calculates from Mavic Mini data is far from accurate.

Reactions: Thomas B
It's been shown previously that the wind strength Airdata calculates from Mavic Mini data is far from accurate.
That is because they base that on a Spark profile.

Hi!
Exactly, there was almost no wind, whatsoever! The drone just lost connection and started dangling down from the sky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser