DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REALLY NEED HELP!! Mavic Mini falls from sky into the water! LOG READER NEEDED!

...Your battery was almost dead at the end of the flight and with the poor GPS signal at take off
Nonsense. The battery was still at 36% about 20s before notififications end, so still far over the critical 20% when crashing into the sea.
And a "bad" home point position can cause some inaccuracy when returning but not the behaviour seen here.

Nonsense. The battery was still at 36% about 20s before notififications end, so still far over the critical 20% when crashing into the sea.
And a "bad" home point position can cause some inaccuracy when returning but not the behaviour seen here.
Exactly! The battery was WAY over dead. Also, the battery was not cold before taking off. I kept it in a warm container before taking off

How about other drones such as phantom and mavic pro ?
Can just speak for the Mavic Pro. There the inflight wind calculations are almost plausible to me, but to be sure one would have to place an anemometer on same altitude for cross-checking.

Yeah. I understand you. I really do. My flightlog shows that the drone recognized "2.7 m/s" wind. And that message can pop-up even inside. So, really, I think it is a bug maybe?
Don’t forget that the wind at 300ft will most likely be far higher than at ground level - as the Airdata wind info that you posted in another thread shows. Secondly, you don’t mention replacing the props after the first fall, or even that you checked them. Also, note that just before the final fall, you were flying over reinforced concrete and close to a large amount of metal. It is also worth remembering information about sea and land breezes (and which time they flow in each direction) - that will add to your perceived wind level; and at 300ft you will encounter additional wind coming over the top and down the side of the cliff behind you. (Read up on mountain waves...)

Exactly! The battery was WAY over dead. Also, the battery was not cold before taking off. I kept it in a warm container before taking off
In a cold situation, remember that the battery drop of the final 30% can be far faster than the initial drop from 100%.

Don’t forget that the wind at 300ft will most likely be far higher than at ground level - as the Airdata wind info will show. Secondly, you don’t mention replacing the props after the first fall, or even that you checked them. Also, note that just before the final fall, you were flying over reinforced concrete and close to a large amount of metal. It is also worth remembering information about sea and land breezes (and which time they flow in each direction) - that will add to your perceived wind level; and at 300ft you will encounter additional wind coming over the top and down the side of the cliff behind you. (Read up on mountain waves...)
I get what you mean... First of all, I checked the props after, no damage what so ever. Second of all, after some investigations from DJI, they told me that the investigation was not done but the wind wasn't the reason for the crash

In a cold situation, remember that the battery drop of the final 30% can be far faster than the initial drop from 100%.
The Battery was not the problem either as far as I can see it. And also, shouldn't you fly a drone in 4-6 degrees Celsius? I mean, that's ridiculous

The Battery was not the problem either as far as I can see it. And also, shouldn't you fly a drone in 4-6 degrees Celsius? I mean, that's ridiculous
Yeah, you can fly a drone - but no company on earth can make a battery that isn’t affected by temperatures. If it’s colder, it won’t last as long.

Reactions: ajkm
That I really understand. If the battery was the problem or not is something we'll have to see...

There was no doubt you were being as careful as you could be. Having flown the Mini is some pretty intense winds it appears to me that wind was not an issue just based off the video, nor do i think it was how cold it was outside

What I do think that might have happened is that you hung around the Metal Pole quite a long time, than you flew by it and over it most likely causing the Compass to be compromised by magnetic interference.

My take is that you were really not flying the drone , the drone was flying itself kind of like it was in atti mode.

No matter what the end result , its not recommended you fly around or near anything like a metal pole .

Good Luck.
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain
Coal

I am sorry to read about your loss. If you were running firmware v1.00.00.0400 then this was undoubtedly the problem. I had exactly the same problem that you demonstrate here. I used Assistant 2 software to downgrade my Controller and Aircraft to v1.00.00.0300 the previous version of firmware and I have not seen a trace of the problem since. It has nothing to do with not calibrating IMU, Compass, etc., but rather DJI failing to test their firmware across all versions of hardware. I rest my case. I recommend anyone else with this problem to downgrade their firmware otherwise you will be very sorry.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I am sorry to read about your loss. If you were running firmware v1.00.00.0400 then this was undoubtedly the problem. I had exactly the same problem that you demonstrate here.
Sorry to disappoint you. My MM was descending uncommanded in one flight, too. And this happened with firmware 0300.

As always, Sar104 has excellent analyses and hopefully DJI will determine it was other than wind or operator error and replace your drone. But, I find it interesting that with so many of these drone losses, there are three prevailing characteristics that lead to operator error especially with new operators.

Wind at the surface is not the same as winds aloft. Perhaps the AirData calculations are not precise because they use Spark characteristics, but it does seem that there was enough winds at altitude that the operator was sent at least one wind warning which he evidently ignored and kept on flying.

2nd, why do so many operators always seem to initially fly down wind rather than against the wind thus making the return, particularly with RTH much higher risk.

And 3rd, why the fascination of so many new operators with flying out over water before they have learned to fly competently over land. Again adds significantly to the risk of flying and returning successfully.

Another interesting observation I've seen is the difference between owners of Mavic mini's and other DJI drones. For years I read prospective drone owners join the forums, read the various topics and learn what to expect even before they receive their drones. I just don't seem to see that with most Mavic Mini owners. First flight, up to max altitude, out beyond VLOS, and down wind. All a recipe for potential drone loss.

As always, Sar104 has excellent analyses and hopefully DJI will determine it was other than wind or operator error and replace your drone. But, I find it interesting that with so many of these drone losses, there are three prevailing characteristics that lead to operator error especially with new operators.

Wind at the surface is not the same as winds aloft. Perhaps the AirData calculations are not precise because they use Spark characteristics, but it does seem that there was enough winds at altitude that the operator was sent at least one wind warning which he evidently ignored and kept on flying.

2nd, why do so many operators always seem to initially fly down wind rather than against the wind thus making the return, particularly with RTH much higher risk.

And 3rd, why the fascination of so many new operators with flying out over water before they have learned to fly competently over land. Again adds significantly to the risk of flying and returning successfully.

Another interesting observation I've seen is the difference between owners of Mavic mini's and other DJI drones. For years I read prospective drone owners join the forums, read the various topics and learn what to expect even before they receive their drones. I just don't seem to see that with most Mavic Mini owners. First flight, up to max altitude, out beyond VLOS, and down wind. All a recipe for potential drone loss.

You need to add a 4th: New flyers under estimate how magnetic interference can effect the drones ability to fly .

Reactions: wsteele
There was no doubt you were being as careful as you could be. Having flown the Mini is some pretty intense winds it appears to me that wind was not an issue just based off the video, nor do i think it was how cold it was outside

What I do think that might have happened is that you hung around the Metal Pole quite a long time, than you flew by it and over it most likely causing the Compass to be compromised by magnetic interference.

My take is that you were really not flying the drone , the drone was flying itself kind of like it was in atti mode.

No matter what the end result , its not recommended you fly around or near anything like a metal pole .

Good Luck.
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain
Coal
Hi there,
Thanks for your words! Yes, I totally agree with you. There is just one thing that I find a bit weird. That pole is made of concrete, or do you mean the pole with the flag on?
Lowe

You need to add a 4th: New flyers under estimate how magnetic interference can effect the drones ability to fly .

I have flown drones a couple of years before, and this have never happened before

New flyers under estimate how magnetic interference can effect the drones ability to fly .
To add to what @LoweLilliehorn said, there is no evidence of any magnetic interference nor anything else related to the compass. The suggestion is accurate, but not in this case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00