DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recalibrate Compass Every Outing?

09KR0058

Reactions
Is it normal to have to recalibrate the compass every time I go out to fly? My Mavic Air will sit idle for anywhere between a week to 3-4 weeks between outings. Every time I fire it up I have to recalibrate.

Are you firing it up inside or in the same place each time, where there might be excessive magnetic interference ?

It's not normal to have to re calibrate the compass each time on start up

If you are at different location it is likely needed because the direction of the earth's magnetic field vector is different. This vector is the reference and spinning around is what properly configures the sensor in the 3 axis.

If it is the same spot.. Then maybe there is iron around or magnetic interference that makes the device suspect the magnetic field reading are not reliable enough to trust for safe flight.

Seems a number of Air's have this issue, and it's been discussed before. I have to calibrate my compass most times I fly (but not everytime). Same exact places where neither my Phantom or Air 2 need to be calibrated.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Is it normal to have to recalibrate the compass every time I go out to fly? My Mavic Air will sit idle for anywhere between a week to 3-4 weeks between outings. Every time I fire it up I have to recalibrate.

The current MA firmware may be the same as the M2 firmware, which requests calibration every 30 day or if you move more than 50 km from the previous flight. The mobile device DAT file event stream will specify the reason for the request.

I find thing often as well, regardless of where I fly at like 7 or 8 times out of 10 I have to calibrate.

My Mavic Air also needed compass calibration very often. It was a small thing that took little time but it was an annoyance all the same. I found that it usually only needed to be done once each day that I flew it. FYI, I have not experienced the same with the new Mavic Air 2. Did a calibration out of the box and have not had too do one since even after flying in very different locations.

If you are at different location it is likely needed because the direction of the earth's magnetic field vector is different. This vector is the reference and spinning around is what properly configures the sensor in the 3 axis.
Contrary to common popular belief, compass calibration has nothing at all to do with your geographic location or changes in magnetic deviation in different locations.

Umm... in that case, care to fill us in on how it works?

The compass calibration measures the internal magnetic field of the drone, by separating the changing (external - the earth's) and non-changing (internal - the aircraft's) magnetic field components as the aircraft is rotated. It can then subtract the internal magnetic field from the total field during flight, leaving just the earth's magnetic field that it needs to determine magnetic north.

Are you firing it up inside or in the same place each time, where there might be excessive magnetic interference ?

It's not normal to have to re calibrate the compass each time on start up

I'm always outside and initially at the same location which was my yard. I've been taking more trips to other places. The first few times was within about 6 feet from my car but I quickly learned that doesn't work.

I have yet to start it up and not have to recalibrate.

I live in Florida and this recalibrating thing is constant, I just gave up and take it as the fact that I will calibrate each and every time I'm on assignment.

I live in Florida and this recalibrating thing is constant, I just gave up and take it as the fact that I will calibrate each and every time I'm on assignment.
It's not that you live in Florida that causes that.
It's a peculiarity of the Air 1.
It doesn't happen with other DJI drones.

I live in florida. I never have to recalibrate any of my Dji aircraft..

You are right about the location being irrelevant. Up until I saw this post I thought it was just me.

It happens to many M2Ps too mine included regardless of different or same location.

Right location has nothing to do with it. I drive cross country each summer 3000 mile trip and stop here and there to put the drone up and never had to recal comp.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54