DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recharging drone batteries

robwag

Reactions
Hi guys, I was wondering if it is OK to recharge your half flat batteries, or is it better to run them flat before recharging ? What is best for the batteries life ?

Hi guys, I was wondering if it is OK to recharge your half flat batteries, or is it better to run them flat before recharging ? What is best for the batteries life ?
It is okay to recharge a half-charged battery.

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Yes, you can charge them from 50% safely, the will record a half cycle.

If fact, unless you flew that day down to 50% and then wanted to fly a bit more, you really SHOULD recharge and not fly it.
The cells might need rebalancing if it's been left a day or two, or more.
Charging balances the battery cells for longevity.

There's loads of great battery health threads on this forum, but the essential thing is not to leave them fully charged (normally they discharge automatically anyway), don't take off without a recently fully charged battery, and don't fly down to less than say 20% regularly, certainly not less than 10% is good too.

Let them cool to recharge.

Yes, you can charge them from 50% safely, the will record a half cycle.

If fact, unless you flew that day down to 50% and then wanted to fly a bit more, you really SHOULD recharge and not fly it.
The cells might need rebalancing if it's been left a day or two, or more.
Charging balances the battery cells for longevity.

There's loads of great battery health threads on this forum, but the essential thing is not to leave them fully charged (normally they discharge automatically anyway), don't take off without a recently fully charged battery, and don't fly down to less than say 20% regularly, certainly not less than 10% is good too.

Let them cool to recharge.
Many thanks

Yes it's OK, as others have already said. In years past, NiCd batteries were standard, and these needed full discharge to avoid the dreaded "memory affect", where, if you repeatedly charged them before full discharge, they lost capacity. NiMh batteries also had this problem. Some chargers were even designed to fully discharge a battery before charging it, and there were all sorts of rituals to recover capacity from these batteries.

Lion batteries are in some ways the opposite. They tend to be damaged when they're discharged too deeply, to the point that some BMS won't even allow it. E cars, for example, will not allow you to fully discharge a battery except in emergencies - there have been reports of Tesla issuing an OTA update to temporarily increase car range in an emergency, for example.

Cześć, co zrobisz, jeśli nie leciałeś przez dwa tygodnie i nagle w pobliżu jest fantastyczne wydarzenie, które warto uchwycić z drona. Co podłączasz akumulatory żeby były w pełni naładowane i tracisz cenne ujęcia, czy lecisz z do połowy naładowaną baterią, co zrobisz w takiej sytuacji?

Cześć, co zrobisz, jeśli nie leciałeś przez dwa tygodnie i nagle w pobliżu jest fantastyczne wydarzenie, które warto uchwycić z drona. Co podłączasz akumulatory żeby były w pełni naładowane i tracisz cenne ujęcia, czy lecisz z do połowy naładowaną baterią, co zrobisz w takiej sytuacji?
That's easy for you to say! :)

• Haha
Reactions: snowghost

Hi, what will you do if you haven't flown for two weeks and suddenly there's a fantastic event nearby that's worth capturing from a drone. What do you connect the batteries so that they are fully charged and you lose valuable shots, or do you fly with a half-charged battery, what will you do in such a situation?

I have a portable battery pack with an AC outlet so I can charge a battery while in transit. I also have a 12v car adapter to recharge the drone batteries in the car on the way.

I would charge them fully as late as possible for you the day before. They will lose little if any charge before you fly them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro