DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendation for a good raw image photo editing app for Windows?

Mantrain

Reactions
Thanks,,
I have Lightroom which is really great for what it is but you cannot print from it and I have a photo printer. I am able to export the images for print into Windows Paint but that does not open raw images. Any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks,,
I have Lightroom which is really great for what it is but you cannot print from it and I have a photo printer. I am able to export the images for print into Windows Paint but that does not open raw images. Any recommendations appreciated!
Save your finished work as a jpg or tiff and print from that

Reactions: Bryan L
ok so what is the point of raw? and another thing if someone can answer: when I use burst (AE) I get three images in the lightroom gallery. Shouldn't I just get one? I thought they combine the three for an HD type a image. thanks!!!

ok so what is the point of raw?
To edit (if you want to go that way)
when I use burst (AE) I get three images in the lightroom gallery. Shouldn't I just get one? I thought they combine the three for an HD type a image. thanks!!!
If you are shooting AEB, that stands for Auto Exposure Bracketing
The camera shoots a bracket of 3 or 5 exposures at different exposure settings.
What you do with them is up to you.

Reactions: zeusfl
You might just want to improve your chances of getting a shot with the right exposure or you might want to combine them in an HDR program.
If you want to shoot an in-camera HDR photo, you need to use a different shooting mode from AEB.

To edit (if you want to go that way)

If you are shooting AEB, that stands for Auto Exposure Bracketing
The camera shoots a bracket of 3 or 5 exposures at different exposure settings.
What you do with them is up to you.
I see. you get 3 to 5 separate images and they need to be stacked? Is that the idea?

Thanks,,
Nobody on this forum will like what I have to say but the best photo editing program, bar none, is the latest version of Adobe Photoshop 2022. Please don't write a bunch of posts about the costs, etc. I already know that. Although Lightroom now has the ability to do local adjustments, the grand daddy of of photo editing is still Photoshop. The newly added masking adjustment cannot be beaten.

Dale
Miami

... the best photo editing program, bar none, is the latest version of Adobe Photoshop 2022.

I fully agree that Photoshop (or Adobe's Photography bundle) is the best general-purpose photo-editing suite there is. But I feel your response overlooks the fact that posts #5 through #9 relate to HDR processing, and this is an area where dedicates programs (eg Photomatix, which I use) do much better than Photoshop. Last time I tried PS (about 2 years ago), deghosting failed miserably and the composite image suffered from massive halos.

but won

ok but won't I lose quality?

then what's the point a raw?
The raw image is unprocessed similar to a film negative and it must be processed through Lightroom or similar to produce a standard image file you can then print or share. If you set your camera to produce a jpeg file then it does the processing for you according to the settings you chose at the time and that means some data is lost which can limit editing later on. The main advantage of a raw file is there's more imaging data which gives you more potential for editing the image so you can process it as you want later and have more choice on how you produce the final jpeg with exposure, noise, sharpening, colour etc.

Raw files aren't a superior format to jpeg but a different type, depending on how you process the images you might be able to produce a better image than the camera's own jpeg, something no better or something worse if not familiar with raw processing.

ok so what is the point of raw?
Raw is digital's equivalent to "analog" film era's negative:
Full unprocessed original data with everything sensor captured.
Including no "hard baked" white balance, or any specific colour space, except for sensor's native.

And at higher bit depth (accuracy) than JPEG.
Typically for digital RGB format image data, JPEG uses 8 bits per colour channel per pixel.
That means there's only 256 possible steps for value of pixel's red, green and blue colour value.
For comparison Raw has typically 12 bits, which gives 4096 different values.
Se you could have steps the size of one quarter of JPEG's and still have four times the signal range from zero to full.

That matters lot especially in high dynamic range situtions (big brightness difference between shadows and highlights) unless recording system's built in processing algorithm is extremely well tuned.

Nobody on this forum will like what I have to say but the best photo editing program, bar none, is the latest version of Adobe Photoshop 2022. Please don't write a bunch of posts about the costs, etc. I already know that. Although Lightroom now has the ability to do local adjustments, the grand daddy of of photo editing is still Photoshop. The newly added masking adjustment cannot be beaten.

Dale
Miami
It is pricey, but it is also the best. Decades of geniuses developed this over time. Amazing what it can do and do it well and easily (once you know how). Lots of tutorials on the web. Also, Photoshop Elements is much less expensive and does all the essentials. Try that.

Some points, Yes Photoshop is the best and it does an amazing amount of things, just like the Space Shuttle did for a flying machine. However, if you just wanted to enjoy a little time in the air, you would probably be happy with an Ultralight aircraft.

In the same way, if you need everything Photoshop can do, and most of us here do not, then you must have Photoshop. With that said, you will not be buying it, they will hold you to ransom, to use it. Stop paying your monthly ransom and they will stop it from working.

If you want to actually own something that you can use today and all week, put it away for 6 months and start using it again, wait a year and still use it, then you don't want photoshop, because you will have to keep paying monthly to keep it working.

Once upon a time, there was really nothing out there other than Photoshop, to do some really good editing with. Today that is very different. A great alternative is the new version of On1, which is called On1 RAW 2022. Take a look at that, it is inexpensive, and you pay once and own it forever, not so with Photoshop, as great as it is.

There are a number of good editing programmes on the market now (unlike the old days) and On1-Raw is one, Topaz Labs is another and several other very good ones are out there too. For what the majority of us want to do to a Photo, any of the other options (and cheaper than Photoshop) will do all and more than might be required of editing an image. Most allow a month free trial, so go out there and try them out. I have On1 Raw, Topaz, and the very capable NIK range, which is another very good piece of editing software, plus my old, bought outright version of Photoshop, before they started the ransom thing. If you took away Photoshop, any of these others, covers everything that I need to do to an image.

Also, regarding exposure, the burst setting just takes a number of images within a second or so, at the same exposure setting, so that you hopefully don't miss a piece of the action as it happens. Do a multi exposure at different setting is a different thing altogether. By doing that, you are taking photos at varying exposure settings to allow you to later stack and remove the bits from each image, that are not properly exposed, to give you what you want. By doing this sort of photo, you can then blend all the images in layers, to get the best part out of each one, then flattening them into a single image that gives you the best all-round dynamic range. Something that no camera can currently do in one single exposure.

This is best used in difficult lighting situations, when your wanted framing of an image contains a large variation of light to dark points within that image. No camera can detect and show the dynamic range in a single image, that our standard Mark 1 eyeball can show us, That's the beauty of shooting in HDR with a camera, it gets you that much closer to looking like what your eyeball sees.

Reactions: jfwag3
It is pricey, but it is also the best. Decades of geniuses developed this over time. Amazing what it can do and do it well and easily (once you know how). Lots of tutorials on the web. Also, Photoshop Elements is much less expensive and does all the essentials. Try that.
Yes, it is the best and pricey, but so are cars and most of us don't need all the options that the most expensive and best cars offer, plus most of us cannot afford those high prices.

However, as you correctly stated, Photoshop Elements does an awfully good job as an editing software, is low cost and you actually own it, buy it once and keep it forever.

Reactions: Bryan L
yea but the current versions stripped it of the ability to print as it is intended for social media outlay.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious... but can't you just export it as the desired file type then print it using a different means? IE, Kinkos/Fedex/etc. You have JPG, PNG, TIF, and custom formats to choose from.

1641411514705.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman