DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording A Home Point Slightly Away And Above Sea Level.

plainman007

Reactions
Hi,

If im launching from the edge of a cliff but lets say there are a few trees on the edge so i dont want to memorize my home point right there but instead a few feet off the cliff. So that if i press RTH it doesnt have to come back and make its way thru the trees. So can i fly out off the cliff a few feet and memorize that point in mid air as the home point so that when it returns it will come to that point where i can see it easily and then manually fly it back to me between the tree trunks.

So when memorizing a point like this does RTH make it return to that point in Mid Air or will it descend lower than that point and try to reach ground straight down (which means going into minus figures on the height when its landing from the RTH altitude).

You can set a new home point at any time while in the air. If RTH is initiated it will return to that lat/long and descend until it lands (or not if it detects an unsuitable landing area).

You might have a problem if a disconnect RTH happens leaving you with no control to bring it in where you want it.

Depending on where the trees are, you might be better crashing into the trees than landing somewhere down the cliff, should a disconnect occur or you miss cancelling RTH.

So when memorizing a point like this does RTH make it return to that point in Mid Air or will it descend lower than that point and try to reach ground straight down
The RTH point is only the latitude and longitude of the location where the drone will fly to before it starts landing. Since the drone doesn't know its altitude above ground level, it'll continue to descend until it reaches the ground.

The RTH point is only the latitude and longitude of the location where the drone will fly to before it starts landing. Since the drone doesn't know its altitude above ground level, it'll continue to descend until it reaches the ground.

Thanks for answering this.

It does this even if the height count goes below 0 and into minus figures ? Since altitude/height is counted starting only from take off height.

Thanks for answering this.

It does this even if the height count goes below 0 and into minus figures ? Since altitude/height is counted starting only from take off height.
Correct - so you'd have to set your Home Point as the point in space that you want it to be, but then 'rely' on being able to cancel the RTH (pause or red button with X) when the Drone is descending toward that point ... otherwise it will just keep going down to the ground-floor!

If the height at the bottom of DJI GO goes below zero, the drone will ascend to 0 feet and then up to the set RTH altitude before returning to the home point. And if the height drops below zero when landing, the drone will continue descending until it reaches the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan