DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recovering another drone using your Mini/Mini 2

I had a similar dilemma last year. I lost a cheap drone, like half the price of a tello, and launched my MM to try and find it in the surrounding area. I knew roughly where it was but didn't want to traips through other people's yards looking. After flying a few minutes it dawned on me I was risking a $400 good drone for a $50 drone that literally ran away from me because the controls didn't work right so it was a no brainer for me to turn around and give up. The tello is a much better drone from what I hear and you know exactly where it is but there's still the cost to benefit ratio you need to weigh for yourself
I couldn’t agree with you more @Yeunglings
Some sound advice there. Thank you.
The Tello is good, but now I’ve given it some thought, I don’t know, I’m kinda having second thoughts about this whole rescue operation. I’m just annoyed as I had bought additional batteries as well as a Wi-Fi booster and other bits. And to add insult to injury, after I lost it some spare/replacement propellers arrived and some new guards….. grrrrrrr

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

Just wanted to ask your thoughts. I owned a Tello, which unfortunately, was carried away by the wind and landed on the roof of a neighbouring block (see photo). This happened on the 3rd April.

Missing my drone I instantly went out and replaced it with a DJI Mini 2. Since then I've considered mounting a rescue operation lol.

My question is this, would you risk losing a mini 2 for a Tello? If so, what suggestions would you have? I was thinking of suspending a length of something from the bottom with a magnet attached to the end, hopefully attach to motor area of the Tello. Just to add, it's not supporting any guards at the moment.
View attachment 127888
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I’ve just got some thinking to do now. Again, thank you all ??

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

Just wanted to ask your thoughts. I owned a Tello, which unfortunately, was carried away by the wind and landed on the roof of a neighbouring block (see photo). This happened on the 3rd April.

Missing my drone I instantly went out and replaced it with a DJI Mini 2. Since then I've considered mounting a rescue operation lol.

My question is this, would you risk losing a mini 2 for a Tello? If so, what suggestions would you have? I was thinking of suspending a length of something from the bottom with a magnet attached to the end, hopefully attach to motor area of the Tello. Just to add, it's not supporting any guards at the moment.
View attachment 127888
Why don't you just use a ladder?

Reactions: Bradders71
Going back around 20 years, we were flying a very cheap helicopter at lunchtime at work until the wind took it onto the roof of the building opposite - hey no big loss - lesson learnt.
Skip ahead 3 years, & we couldn't believe it when we witnessed a gust of wind blow the helicopter off the roof - great timing - but alas poor heli never flew again.
.... must be some kind of moral there somewhere - I guess just keep hoping for the next tornado!

What would be magnetic on a plastic drone? Maybe a prop motor housing but that would be about it surely?
if there’s any metal on the roof the chances of getting stuck to that would be pretty high I would imagine.

Just a thought and I hope this is valid as I am a newbie but won’t a magnet and a metal roof cause interference in the Mini 2?
Seems given a decent distance as mentioned maybe 10 foot or so, and it wouldn't bother it, probably 3 foot or so wouldn't either. Personally I would use a thin sewing thread with the magnet..in any event of a snag or hang up...Simply tape to none magnet end with a cellophane/scotch tape. If you became ensnared in any way lower the Mini 2 about 4 foot hold hover, then full throttle straight up. The thread will cut the tape to free you;)

The building originally had a flat roof, underneath the new roof, and sitting on top of the old roof, is a metal frame. That concerns me a little
If the roof is steel, you have some more testing to do.
It will probably upset the drone's compass when you get close enough - probably about a metre above, give or take a little.
Without any attachments, hover above the roof and slowly lower your drone towards the roof and see what happens.
When your drone gets close enough, if your compass is deflected by the steel in the roof, your drone would start to wander a little and be less precise with control.
It's nothing to worry about and if you need to get out, simply climbing a metre or two puts things back to normal.
Try a few times and see what distance you can safely work with and how it all works.

And any magnet strong enough to lift the tello would have to be well separated from your drone's compass too.
Maybe a metre would be sufficient - some testing would be helpful there too.

Just a thought and I hope this is valid as I am a newbie but won’t a magnet and a metal roof cause interference in the Mini 2?
Good point @Supafly1465 , the magnet would have to be suspended some distance in order to avoid interfering with the drone, and to prevent it spinning in the wash (that’s what they call the wind generated by the blades, isn’t it? ?)

If the roof is steel, you have some more testing to do.
It will probably upset the drone's compass when you get close enough - probably about a metre above, give or take a little.
Without any attachments, hover above the roof and slowly lower your drone towards the roof and see what happens.
When your drone gets close enough, if your compass is deflected by the steel in the roof, your drone would start to wander a little and be less precise with control.
It's nothing to worry about and if you need to get out, simply climbing a metre or two puts things back to normal.
Try a few times and see what distance you can safely work with and how it all works.

And any magnet strong enough to lift the tello would have to be well separated from your drone's compass too.
Maybe a metre would be sufficient - some testing would be helpful there too.
Yikes…. I’m fast going off this recovery idea @Meta4. Lots of things I didn’t expect to take into account

Yikes…. I’m fast going off this recovery idea @Meta4. Lots of things I didn’t expect to take into account
Another thing to consider is how poor the Mini's cargo carrying ability is.
It's not the ideal recovery machine.

Going back around 20 years, we were flying a very cheap helicopter at lunchtime at work until the wind took it onto the roof of the building opposite - hey no big loss - lesson learnt.
Skip ahead 3 years, & we couldn't believe it when we witnessed a gust of wind blow the helicopter off the roof - great timing - but alas poor heli never flew again.
.... must be some kind of moral there somewhere - I guess just keep hoping for the next tornado!
Haha, great story @restyler. I think I need to break ties with the little fella on the roof, like you said, lesson learnt

What would be magnetic on a plastic drone? Maybe a prop motor housing but that would be about it surely?
if there’s any metal on the roof the chances of getting stuck to that would be pretty high I would imagine.
Yeah I think you’ve hit the nail on the head @stusmavic. The only metal I can think of is the prop motor housing.
Ok peeps… I’ve decided……. She stays where she is. I’m too attached to the mini 2 to risk losing her too. Not worth it.
Thank you EVERYONE for your suggestions. If anyone is in London and wants a Tello drone I’ll gladly point you in the direction of the roof ??

Reactions: stusmavic
I hate to say the obvious but why not find a way to get up to the roof? If not you the owner
The roof has no access @michael boeren. As you can see, the only way you could get to the roof would be by ladder from one of the upper maisonette balconies. The balconies are very small and you’re some way up. With the balconies being so small there would be no room at all for error. A valid suggestion though, but, I don’t think it’s worth the effort (or the risk)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3