DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recovering practice.

Arne H.

Reactions
Tomorrow my son and I will train Mini recovering. The Mini is so small, so dont like to fly to far away. I used to larger model planes, so I want to fly so I can still see the Mini. Any tips for recovery practice :rolleyes: ?

Reactions: Droniac
would i be right in thinking that you mean using the find my drone feature in the app
a good way to test it would be to set the RTH to land ,if signal loss RTH is triggered,then in a large safe area fly out a couple of hundred ft ,and turn off the RC this will then cause the drone to land, you can then try out the find my drone, and as you get closer to it you can enable the visual and audio feature to help you find it

The other recovery would be loss of GPS or compass error or both. I don’t think any of DJI’s newer drones make ATTI mode available without hacking the control S/W. To practice this you’d have to buy an older drone that has ATTI mode like an old Dji Phantom. This would be a valuable lesson especially if he ends up flying in strong winds and gets a compass error. Things go pear shaped very quickly.

you could simulate Atti by putting some foil over the GPS module on the top of the drone,but be careful as it would be at the mercy of any wind and would not have any braking ability after the sticks were released, only stopping by using opposite thrust from the direction it was going in at the time it is a good thing to practice as it hones your skills but has to be done with caution

Tomorrow my son and I will train Mini recovering. The Mini is so small, so dont like to fly to far away. I used to larger model planes, so I want to fly so I can still see the Mini. Any tips for recovery practice :rolleyes: ?
^^^ What they said. Start off in a more open area and make sure the wind is applicable for your aircraft. Recovering your aircraft to me implies you crashed or lost the drone. If you are talking about seeing the drone during flight and flying it back to you, a bright color skin and strobes help to keep a visual eye on it. And that also means when you lose sight temporarily or crash the drone, it will make it easier to find as well.
Learn to manually fly. Learn how to figure out your location with respects to the terrain using the camera as well. These drones are quite different than learning to fly fixed wing and pretty much fly themselves. On my fixed wing aircraft, I usually use bright colors or visual patterns on one side of the aircraft to help keep the attitude correct. Nothing like a autonomous drone which you only really need to be able to see it. It's some of the flying features that get people in trouble. Read up on how the return to home command works and take short steps working with other features. I'd also suggest that you learn to eventually use the instruments to aid in flying. Overall have fun.

Reactions: Arne H.
I will try the find my drone. Recovering in the air in wind, I have some practice. Lower altitude, and landing without Coming home. In a windy day, I got the warning: Your propeller are spinning to fast. We have a rough climate here. But also some hot sunny days, and no wind. :cool:

You know English is not my language. I ment get the drone home in wind. But today the weather are rain, thunder and wind. We try a nicer day. :cool:

would i be right in thinking that you mean using the find my drone feature in the app
a good way to test it would be to set the RTH to land ,if signal loss RTH is triggered,then in a large safe area fly out a couple of hundred ft ,and turn off the RC this will then cause the drone to land, you can then try out the find my drone, and as you get closer to it you can enable the visual and audio feature to help you find it
Dang (not so) Old Man. I wii do the same. simple and functional. Thanks as well.

Reactions: old man mavic
You know English is not my language. I ment get the drone home in wind. But today the weather are rain, thunder and wind. We try a nicer day. :cool:
I doubt there are language issues in this awesome forum. My wife feels widowed. Lol. I speak English and half the time nobody knows what I’m talking about. ?? Sky’s up!

Your English is fine, better than my Norwegian for sure.

Only advice I can give with respect to getting your drone home against the wind, loose altitude. Wind speed decreases as you get closer to the ground, so flying back at the lowest SAFE altitude is best.

Another tip in the "preventative" category, plan your missions to go out against the wind. This way the trip home will have the wind assisting you home. Not always possible I realize, but something to keep in mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot