DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refresh Or Not

Parkie

Reactions
Hi peeps

Will be getting my Mavic today and I was wondering if you think dji refresh is worth it. I have contacted my home insurance and they say my drone is covered on my personnel belongings.

Any help or advice would me much appreciated, thank you

Get both refresh and home insurance. Well worth the peace of mind, in my opinion. I have had refresh now for 7 months and never used it. I would buy it again, if I had the chance.

Anything you can do to help keep your heart from racing just a little bit before each flight is worth the $$$.

Hi peeps

Will be getting my Mavic today and I was wondering if you think dji refresh is worth it. I have contacted my home insurance and they say my drone is covered on my personnel belongings.

Get it, definitely. These days I'm shipping my Mavic to NL for a crash due to pilot error, it will probably need to be replaced: I'd be very sorry if I hadn't bougth Care Refresh

I would opt for the "Refresh" its cheap enough. I say that but I don't have "Refresh" on any of my DJI drones. I think its worth the peace-of-mind. I wouldn't bother with my home-owners insurance in filing a claim if I were to totally lose my Mavic.

A guy I fly with lost his drone twice (Pilot Error/Ignorance) and filed claims with his insurance company. Low and behold when his policy was renewed there was a substantial increase in his premium and was told they wouldn't cover any more "Drone Losses" without a special rider. When he asked the agent why his premium had gone up, the agents response was he filed too many claims. Of course YMMV....

Definately not worth it - get a separate policy to cover the Mavic. $99 to join care refresh, $79 for first incident, $129 for 2nd.... you can get a separate policy from many insurance providers for a small fraction of that cost. In either case you need to be able to return the damaged drone to claim. If you have a malfunction and the drone is lost or crashes it should be provable via your flight log and the DJI manufacturer warranty will cover it for the first year anyway. Much documented history on this forum as to how slow and frustrating the care refresh process can be anyway....

Hi peeps

I bought refresh, crashed my drone and it was nice to know that my error only costs $79. I'll buy it again with next drone for sure. Turn around time was excellent too.

No, DJI Refresh isn't your best option Your best option is to insure the Drone via a Personal Articles Floater Policy (State Farm is the Industry Leader). The policy should run you less than $60 a year. A more important factor to me than saving money is the fact that a claim is settled much more quickly via Insurance than DJI. If you have an Insurance Claim you can expect payment in-full within 5 days - I doubt DJI would even have looked at the Drone within 5 days. Of course, if you can't take out a Personal Articles Floater than going through DJI is a good option.

Reactions: Mjonesy758
Hi Parkie, as you are from the UK, some of the answers above will be of no use to you

Refresh certainly gives you peace of mind

I also got Insurance for Theft/Loss/Fly-Aways/Accidental Damage from BackMeUp.co.uk £7.99 per month because DJI wont cover you unless you send them your Mavic
In addition, I got Public Liability Insurance from FPVUK.org £20/year for £5mil cover

Hi Parkie, as you are from the UK, some of the answers above will be of no use to you

I also got Insurance for Theft/Loss/Fly-Aways/Accidental Damage from BackMeUp.co.uk £7.99 per month because DJI wont cover you unless you send them your Mavic
In addition, I got Public Liability Insurance from FPVUK.org £20/year for £5mil cover

Thanks for responding, did you get refresh as well? Backmeup looks very good

I did purely for the mechanical failure aspect which, liability insurance aside, seems to be the only thing backmeup doesn't cover

I bought Refresh, but not for mechanical failure, that would be covered under warranty.

I bought Refresh in case I crashed it or dropped it, i.e it was my fault.

Joined FPV UK, £20 membership gives you £5 million public liability, just in case.

Added it to my LV home insurance in case it was stolen when away from home.

Thanks for the BackMeUp heads up didn't know about them, handy for a few things

Hmmm! $79 for the first incident?
Not my experience. Purchased my Mavic in March from Atlanta (along with $99 refresh); crashed in May in Mexico; sent it back to DJI mid June in California.
I received a replacement drone July 3. I didn't pay any $ at all. They said warranty would cover it.
Mind you when I sent it in I explained that the crash was TOTALLY pilot error (lost sight of it and panicked trying to find it in the sky).

Thinking of buying a second Mavic and I would easily buy the refresh for that one as well.

I guess we each have our own experiences!

I'm importing a mavic in to the UK. From what I read a couple of weeks back, I'd get no warranty from DJI because I'm importing (has this changed since?). I believe that I can still purchase Care Refresh? Does the care refresh cover everything the 1 year warranty does?

I "self insure" all my electronics and appliances, including my Mavic. If I need to replace my Mavic for whatever reason, the money is there. Plus I can choose if I want brand new or a refurb and I get it immediately.

I'm importing a mavic in to the UK. From what I read a couple of weeks back, I'd get no warranty from DJI because I'm importing (has this changed since?). I believe that I can still purchase Care Refresh? Does the care refresh cover everything the 1 year warranty does?

DJI Care Refresh covers any damage done to the drone as long as you recover it regardless if it's pilot error. It's $79 for your first replacement and $129 for the second and the turnaround time is generally fast. That's in the US though, so make sure the service is available in your region by signing up when activating the Mavic. Sometimes DJI will cover crashes or even flyaways or otherwise lost drones under warranty, but not without flight logs or video proving it was not pilot error. As long as you buy from an authorized dealer you should be good with importing and getting warranty coverage as long as there are repair facilities in your region.

-Joe

Last edited:
Can you fly? Can you take responsibility for your actions?

If no to either, then yes, get refresh.

Totally reasonable to take responsibility for an action and still appreciate the peace of mind that you can replace the unit at a tenth of the cost. Really uncool of so many members on here to be so insolent.

Reactions: Vilco
Just get the separate drone insurance for drone. You do not want that with home insurance. If you crash it and use your home insurance for claim, your premium will hike, and this is the last thing you want.

Hi peeps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman