DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejaxvic123

Reactions
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been here, my phone USB port got fouled up so not flying much for a couple of months or so. Looking for an alternative.

Anyways, I guy I know said he was going to get a quad soon and I asked him about registering and he said he wasn't going to because of government overreach or something and I wondered what would happen if he got caught.

I'm not sure who would catch him or how. Maybe if you're in a park flying and a cop asks you for registration? I would assume if you created some kind of disaster, then they would somehow track you down from info taken from the quad, find out it's not registered, so double trouble.

This got me thinking; how many people don't bother registering and why? What would be the consequences of not registering? And who would actually be coming after you?

Sorry in advance if this is stupid, click bait, or I'm just an idiot. Hah!

Reactions: SpitFire
FAADroneZone

"Fly model aircraft under 336".
To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY

Register your model aircraft

Fly within visual line-of-sight

Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization

Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Never fly near other aircraft

Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*

Never fly near emergency response efforts

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yes. "Register".
There's even a link there to click to do it.

Reactions: Diablo23
Thanks guys. He (and I) was questioning exactly who would come up on him and ask for registration or whatever. I haven't researched for any answers, been busy trying to get back in the air.

Thanks guys. He (and I) was questioning exactly who would come up on him and ask for registration or whatever. I haven't researched for any answers, been busy trying to get back in the air.
I think is more of a "drug tax stamp" than anything else.
IF, you get caught doing something stupid with the drone, it is just another charge they can put on you.

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been here, my phone USB port got fouled up so not flying much for a couple of months or so. Looking for an alternative.

Anyways, I guy I know said he was going to get a quad soon and I asked him about registering and he said he wasn't going to because of government overreach or something and I wondered what would happen if he got caught.

I'm not sure who would catch him or how. Maybe if you're in a park flying and a cop asks you for registration? I would assume if you created some kind of disaster, then they would somehow track you down from info taken from the quad, find out it's not registered, so double trouble.

This got me thinking; how many people don't bother registering and why? What would be the consequences of not registering? And who would actually be coming after you?

Sorry in advance if this is stupid, click bait, or I'm just an idiot. Hah!

So I have been stopped about 4 or 5 times by the police while flying because people complain in my neighborhood. I only fly in the neighborhood when I am doing tests. I have never had the police ask for registration and I have never had park rangers ask for my registration. In addition to this. You can register your drone and not put in the SN. I have done this on two of mine because the SN has been ripped off by the battery. So I just registered it without the SN. Personally I would register just to CYA. I think the only people that would come after you is the FAA if you were to crash into someone or damage something that does not belong to you. I would be willing to bet that in the future drones will require some sort of transponder that alerts aircraft in the area you are flying that you are there. On the other hand, the app used to pilot the drone could phone home and alert DJI or whomever that you were flying against the rules. I am just guessing here but I could see that happening.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
What if you have a drone that belongs to you and another family member (or any other person) and each of you will be flying it separately at different times?

Whose name should the drone be registered in? Is the registration attached to the owner? In other words, if you're asked to prove registration, would it have to be in your own name?

What if you have a drone that belongs to you and another family member (or any other person) and each of you will be flying it separately at different times?

Whose name should the drone be registered in? Is the registration attached to the owner? In other words, if you're asked to prove registration, would it have to be in your own name?
I think the intent is to have the drone identified to "a person." If you "borrowed" a drone and are operating it safely IAW FAR 101.41 and 101.43, you're ok. There's nothing in FAR 101.41 that says a hobbyist drone owner can't allow someone else to fly their drone.

Right now there are some municipalities who have local ordinances that require FAA registration and on occasion a police officer will "spot check" a drone operator is seen flying. Some of the stories mentioned on here and other forums have stated the only thing the cop looked for was the registration number.

Reactions: JD2020
I'm sure many people don't bother to register and the majority have no problems. But IMO the FAA positioning for drones to be a major public safety issue is entirely appropriate.

From a practical standpoint police today are confused about drone regulation. But they are going to learn over time that a drone needs to show an FAA registration number. Not having a number is just one more thing for a semi-informed police officer to have a problem about.

Also, consider if you injure a bystander while flying. "My client was injured by an illegally operated drone!!".

The $5 FAA fee is trivial. The bigger burden is the need for a Part 107 to fly legally in most population centers.

Registration is inexpensive and trivial and should be done. It might even help if you are hassled about flying; just flash your FAA card and say, "I am a registered pilot flying within the regulations."

In addition to this. You can register your drone and not put in the SN. I have done this on two of mine because the SN has been ripped off by the battery. So I just registered it without the SN.

You don't register any drone with the FAA... so you never gave them any serial number. You registered _yourself_ as a person who flies a drone that meets the criteria. You can then fly as many drones as you want and never tell the FAA about any of these drones. You _are_ also required to have _your_ single registration number on _every_ drone you fly that requires it. You are also require to have your registration paperwork with you when you fly.

I think the only people that would come after you is the FAA if you were to crash into someone or damage something that does not belong to you.
_Any_ law enforcement officer _can_ ask to see your registration and make sure you meet the FAA guidelines. If you don't, they can report your infraction to the FAA for possible action.

You don't register any drone with the FAA... so you never gave them any serial number. You registered _yourself_ as a person who flies a drone that meets the criteria. You can then fly as many drones as you want and never tell the FAA about any of these drones. You _are_ also required to have _your_ single registration number on _every_ drone you fly that requires it. You are also require to have your registration paperwork with you when you fly.

_Any_ law enforcement officer _can_ ask to see your registration and make sure you meet the FAA guidelines. If you don't, they can report your infraction to the FAA for possible action.

I was required to enter the SN of my device when I registered.
Sure ANY law enforcement officer can ask you anything they want that doesn't mean they have the authority to enforce FAA regulations. The point is exactly what I said, the only people that would come after you is the FAA if you are in the states.

I was required to enter the SN of my device when I registered.
Then you did not register direct with the FAA. Might have also paid more then the required $5.

Sure ANY law enforcement officer can ask you anything they want that doesn't mean they have the authority to enforce FAA regulations.
The FAA has given them instructions on how to address these situations. As I said, local law enforcement is then asked by the FAA to turn over the infraction information for possible action by the FAA. Local law enforcement is not enforcing FAA regulation, they report the possible infraction to the FAA for possible action.

I think is more of a "drug tax stamp" than anything else.
IF, you get caught doing something stupid with the drone, it is just another charge they can put on you.

It’s up to you if you’ve got the time.

Q3. What is the penalty for failing to register?

A. The FAA states that failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada