DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I read his post was that he was referring to me and telling me that I did not register my drones.
Yes because since the whole discussion was about 101 it was expected that everyone commenting was commenting about 101. When you said you needed an SN when you registered people thus understood it as "when you registered for 101". At no point had you clarified you registered under 107 and thus were not following the discussion topic.

...so the obvious conclusion is that you had used one of those scammy sites that offer to "do your registration for you" by taking more of your money and ask you for more information than actually needed for the registration for their own use.

Getting back to the main topic of "what if you don't register?"...... I think probably nothing would happen but you take a great risk of, if there is an incident of any kind and law enforcement or any lawyer is involved, you are clearly then, with the unavoidable attention, doing something illegal and in a more precarious position than you would otherwise be if you had registered and made yourself "official".

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I am a little confused by this discussion simply because I have been flying fixed wing RC for 20 years. I fly at a registered field and as an AMA member (required by all registered flying clubs) and at one point there was a battle going on over whether we were going to have to register our planes because of the FAA and the drone registration rule. Then the rule went away and now the AMA web site says:
"In February 2012, and again in July 2016, Congress
officially recognized the efficacy of community-based
safety programming in managing the aeromodelling
activity within the United States. With the passage
of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
(PL 112-95) , Congress set aside further regulation
of model aircraft provided, “the aircraft is operated
in accordance with a community-based set of
safety guidelines and within the programming of
a nationwide community-based organization.
(Section 336, Special Rule for Model Aircraft.)
Under Section 336, AMA members can operate
their model aircraft within the boundaries of
AMA’s safety guidelines and programming."

Therefore I don't register any of my aircraft. I read this as, if you don't belong to AMA, you register. If you do you don't. All my aircraft have my AMA number, my name and a phone number. That is all that is required of me.

I am a little confused by this discussion simply because I have been flying fixed wing RC for 20 years. I fly at a registered field and as an AMA member (required by all registered flying clubs) and at one point there was a battle going on over whether we were going to have to register our planes because of the FAA and the drone registration rule. Then the rule went away and now the AMA web site says:
"In February 2012, and again in July 2016, Congress
officially recognized the efficacy of community-based
safety programming in managing the aeromodelling
activity within the United States. With the passage
of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
(PL 112-95) , Congress set aside further regulation
of model aircraft provided, “the aircraft is operated
in accordance with a community-based set of
safety guidelines and within the programming of
a nationwide community-based organization.
(Section 336, Special Rule for Model Aircraft.)
Under Section 336, AMA members can operate
their model aircraft within the boundaries of
AMA’s safety guidelines and programming."

Therefore I don't register any of my aircraft. I read this as, if you don't belong to AMA, you register. If you do you don't. All my aircraft have my AMA number, my name and a phone number. That is all that is required of me.
I myself fly RC fixed wing,am an AMA member, fly at a AMA club and must have both my AMA number and FAA registration number posted somewhere on my AC...be safe, fly smart

Where does it say you even have to have an FAA number. Look closely at what I posted. As I read it it is saying you do not have to register with the FAA if you are an AMA member. AMA's community based safety program preempts the FCC registration.

Where does it say you even have to have an FAA number. Look closely at what I posted. As I read it it is saying you do not have to register with the FAA if you are an AMA member. AMA's community based safety program preempts the FCC registration.
I guess my rc club is different because they require it...just saying...be safe, fly smart

The AMA fought long and hard to get rid of that for AMA members. If it is being required, I am not aware of it but that would not be a first. If a club is requiring it and it is not necessary they are just adding BS to a membership (JMHO).

The AMA fought long and hard to get rid of that for AMA members. If it is being required, I am not aware of it but that would not be a first. If a club is requiring it and it is not necessary they are just adding BS to a membership (JMHO).
What ever...be safe, fly smart

I think is more of a "drug tax stamp" than anything else.
IF, you get caught doing something stupid with the drone, it is just another charge they can put on you.
Or, if someone flies carelessly and injures another person and their drone is recovered, authorities will be able to identify the registrant.

Yes because since the whole discussion was about 101 it was expected that everyone commenting was commenting about 101. When you said you needed an SN when you registered people thus understood it as "when you registered for 101". At no point had you clarified you registered under 107 and thus were not following the discussion topic.

...so the obvious conclusion is that you had used one of those scammy sites that offer to "do your registration for you" by taking more of your money and ask you for more information than actually needed for the registration for their own use.

Dude, the horse has been beaten to death. Bottom line is yes, you can register under 107 and it is valid for hobby flying. I agreed that I did not interpret the post correctly and that is my fault. In the end it doesn't matter as long as you follow the rules and have fun doing it.

Reactions: Classic flyer
They fought long and hard and they lost.

You have to still register even if you are a member of AMA.

FAA UAS Frequently Asked Questions | Academy of Model Aeronautics

Read the first sentence on the page above.

On December 12, 2017, President Trump signed legislation that reversed the earlier court ruling in the John Taylor case and restored the FAA’s UAS registration requirement, including for AMA members.

Registration both as a hobbyist or as commercial is required by the FAA if said drone weighs over .55 lbs.

Amen drvrbob! If it weighs over .55 lbs register the **** thing or don't fly it--it's the law! No ifs no ands no buts! If you don't want to follow UAV rules then go find another hobby and break their rules!

What if you have a drone that belongs to you and another family member (or any other person) and each of you will be flying it separately at different times?

Whose name should the drone be registered in? Is the registration attached to the owner? In other words, if you're asked to prove registration, would it have to be in your own name?
ok ,,one thing to keep in mind is that for recreational fliers register "THEMSELVES" WITH the FAA, not their aircraft, so it really doesn't matter who's aircraft you fly! Yes you can put in your quads serial numbers and all but you use the same registration number for ALL of your drones!!!! There's not a different number for each one.

ok ,,one thing to keep in mind is that for recreational fliers register "THEMSELVES" WITH the FAA, not their aircraft, so it really doesn't matter who's aircraft you fly! Yes you can put in your quads serial numbers and all but you use the same registration number for ALL of your drones!!!! There's not a different number for each one.
I'm not sure that's actually the case. The registration process ends up with a number you must put on your drone(s). You can fly any number of drones every day, and you'd never need to register anything with the FAA unless you own a drone. So a recreational flier need not register, only a recreational owner must register. Also, I believe I did not see anywhere in the registration process where I could enter a drone's serial number.

Reactions: SxSmith
I can't use Litchi as there is a registration blockage on my controller. I have tried registering on 3 different WI-FI networks now ( as suggested by Litchi ) but to no avail. I have now abandoned using Litchi and just use Go4 and I don't even know whether I'm registered or not!

I can't use Litchi as there is a registration blockage on my controller. I have tried registering on 3 different WI-FI networks now ( as suggested by Litchi ) but to no avail. I have now abandoned using Litchi and just use Go4 and I don't even know whether I'm registered or not!

I use both Litchi and Go4, I’ve never heard of a controller being “blocked” because of registration?? Doesn’t sound right.

I'm not sure that's actually the case. The registration process ends up with a number you must put on your drone(s). You can fly any number of drones every day, and you'd never need to register anything with the FAA unless you own a drone. So a recreational flier need not register, only a recreational owner must register. Also, I believe I did not see anywhere in the registration process where I could enter a drone's serial number.

No FAA will generate a number for you, and you put that number on/in your Drone, also I believe you’ve mis-read FAA’s regulations, at one time recreational flyers registration was dropped, then the FAA recanted this so now you have to register with them recreational or not! Again it’s the person who’s registered and provided a number. If you or anybody “loans” your drone to someone else and they have an accident or use it where they aren’t supposed to, not only can they be liable but you as well, registration is a way for flyers (pilots) to be held accountable for their actions as well as identifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memotec