DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
No FAA will generate a number for you, and you put that number on/in your Drone, also I believe you’ve mis-read FAA’s regulations, at one time recreational flyers registration was dropped, then the FAA recanted this so now you have to register with them recreational or not! Again it’s the person who’s registered and provided a number. If you or anybody “loans” your drone to someone else and they have an accident or use it where they aren’t supposed to, not only can they be liable but you as well, registration is a way for flyers (pilots) to be held accountable for their actions as well as identifiable.
It also includes rc fixed wing and helos

It is registering the owner/pilot only. You then put YOUR assigned FAA reg.# on all of your toys. There is also a certificate of registration card you should print out and carry. Its not about the toys, its about who is flying them, so NO serial numbers are required for hobby use.

I can't use Litchi as there is a registration blockage on my controller. I have tried registering on 3 different WI-FI networks now ( as suggested by Litchi ) but to no avail. I have now abandoned using Litchi and just use Go4 and I don't even know whether I'm registered or not!
This issue doesn't have anything to do with the subject of this thread. This thread is about FAA registration.

No FAA will generate a number for you, and you put that number on/in your Drone, also I believe you’ve mis-read FAA’s regulations, at one time recreational flyers registration was dropped, then the FAA recanted this so now you have to register with them recreational or not! Again it’s the person who’s registered and provided a number. If you or anybody “loans” your drone to someone else and they have an accident or use it where they aren’t supposed to, not only can they be liable but you as well, registration is a way for flyers (pilots) to be held accountable for their actions as well as identifiable.
@ac0j and @chazzm Yes, that's what I said. When a hobbyist registers, the FAA gives you a number that goes on the drone. That number must go on the drone. I don't see any language saying that each user must be registered. I called the AMA and the person I spoke to there said that each flyer of the drone does not be registered, only the owner needs to register it (and others can fly it). Look at it this way: A married couple buys a drone. One spouse buys the drone. His or her name is on the purchase. The other spouse and their children are all going to fly the drone. Are you saying that every person flying that drone would have to register it? That a family of four would have four FAA registration numbers and each of them would have to place his or her own number on every drone they fly, whether they own it or not? I see no language that requires, or even allows, that. One person registers the drone and puts the number on it, and anyone can fly that drone. That's what the AMA said, and that is the only logical interpretation of everything I read on the FAA website (again, for recreational/hobbyist users).

I contend that it is, in fact, about the drone and not the user (for hobbyists). If that drone crashes, the FAA wants someone to trace it back to. It's sort of analogous to cars. One person registers it, but, if your family or friends drive your car, they don't register it in their name. They must have a driver's license, but that license is like the 107 license in the drone world. There are many automobile drivers who are licensed and have no vehicles registered in their names. However, there are no vehicles that are not registered (unless the vehicles are operating illegally).

Reactions: Classic flyer
@ac0j and @chazzm Yes, that's what I said. When a hobbyist registers, the FAA gives you a number that goes on the drone. That number must go on the drone. I don't see any language saying that each user must be registered. I called the AMA and the person I spoke to there said that each flyer of the drone does not be registered, only the owner needs to register it (and others can fly it). Look at it this way: A married couple buys a drone. One spouse buys the drone. His or her name is on the purchase. The other spouse and their children are all going to fly the drone. Are you saying that every person flying that drone would have to register it? That a family of four would have four FAA registration numbers and each of them would have to place his or her own number on every drone they fly, whether they own it or not? I see no language that requires, or even allows, that. One person registers the drone and puts the number on it, and anyone can fly that drone. That's what the AMA said, and that is the only logical interpretation of everything I read on the FAA website (again, for recreational/hobbyist users).
Well done sir

Reactions: chazzm and JD2020
If it's your registration number, YOU are responsible. Even if you let cousin IT fly it. So I say again. It's the owner that is registered, not the AC. That is all I said, it's a fact, so what's the problem?

Reactions: Classic flyer
If it's your registration number, YOU are responsible. Even if you let cousin IT fly it. So I say again. It's the owner that is registered, not the AC. That is all I said, it's a fact, so what's the problem?
No, I'm sorry, but you are wrong and now you're changing what my post was about. I haven't been talking about who is responsible for damage caused by the flyer of the drone. I'm talking about a hobbyist registering a drone and which person(s) must register that drone. Again, like a car, you are registering the vehicle (the drone). The dispositive point here is that every recreational drone user does not have to be registered to fly a drone. So it is not the drone user who is registered. It is the drone that is registered. The only users who must themselves be registered are those who are subject to the 107 requirements.

If you are flying a done and the registered owner is not there with you, you should probably carry a copy of their registration with you, just as, if you borrow a car, you must have a copy of that car's registration with you, even though that car you borrowed is not registered in your name.

As far as legal responsibility goes, merely registering a drone does not make you legally responsible for what happens with it. I have not seen any language that states that, and I can speak with a good degree of authority on this as I have a law degree and practiced law for many years. Again, the analogous situation is a car. If you loan your car to someone, you are not necessarily responsible for what they might do with it (depending on state law). In at least some states, your automotive insurance can be required (or, if not required, may anyway) cover a wreck the loaned-to driver causes. But that driver who borrowed and wrecked the car will also be liable. Furthermore, if you loan your car to someone who is drunk or you know to be a drunk or reckless driver, that can establish liability on your part, too. That is a matter of statutory and case law. Do some states have laws making a drone user liable for whatever damage someone they let fly it causes? I don't know. I don't know the laws of every state, of course. If you know of such laws, please cite them.

Again, you have this confused and are making unsupported presumptions. Your presumptions, were they true, would have some logic to them. But that does make them true.

Last edited:
google gives the most up to date info on penalties and law issues. The faa is up front about their disapproval.

So I have been stopped about 4 or 5 times by the police while flying because people complain in my neighborhood. I only fly in the neighborhood when I am doing tests. I have never had the police ask for registration and I have never had park rangers ask for my registration. In addition to this. You can register your drone and not put in the SN. I have done this on two of mine because the SN has been ripped off by the battery. So I just registered it without the SN. Personally I would register just to CYA. I think the only people that would come after you is the FAA if you were to crash into someone or damage something that does not belong to you. I would be willing to bet that in the future drones will require some sort of transponder that alerts aircraft in the area you are flying that you are there. On the other hand, the app used to pilot the drone could phone home and alert DJI or whomever that you were flying against the rules. I am just guessing here but I could see that happening.

You can find your serial number in the GO 4 app.

I just googled faa drone registration and it clearly says "any drone over .55..."
That's what I said... so whats your problem? Just want to argue? Find someone else. And I wasn't even replying to you about the .5 lbs - 55 lbs. 2 other people were giving wrong information on the post. You just jumped in to start crap...again. "Dealing with idiots"? That was you right?

That's what I said... so whats your problem? Just want to argue? Find someone else. And I wasn't even replying to you about the .5 lbs - 55 lbs. 2 other people were giving wrong information on the post. You just jumped in to start crap...again. "Dealing with idiots"? That was you right?
I just googled faa drone registration and it clearly says "any drone over .55..."
AND it's .5 lbs - 55 lbs, you didn't google it... post it here.

No, I'm sorry, but you are wrong and now you're changing what my post was about. I haven't been talking about who is responsible for damage caused by the flyer of the drone. I'm talking about a hobbyist registering a drone and which person(s) must register that drone. Again, like a car, you are registering the vehicle (the drone). The dispositive point here is that every recreational drone user does not have to be registered to fly a drone. So it is not the drone user who is registered. It is the drone that is registered. The only users who must themselves be registered are those who are subject to the 107 requirements.

If you are flying a done and the registered owner is not there with you, you should probably carry a copy of their registration with you, just as, if you borrow a car, you must have a copy of that car's registration with you, even though that car you borrowed is not registered in your name.

As far as legal responsibility goes, merely registering a drone does not make you legally responsible for what happens with it. I have not seen any language that states that, and I can speak with a good degree of authority on this as I have a law degree and practiced law for many years. Again, the analogous situation is a car. If you loan your car to someone, you are not necessarily responsible for what they might do with it (depending on state law). In at least some states, your automotive insurance can be required (or, if not required, may anyway) cover a wreck the loaned-to driver causes. But that driver who borrowed and wrecked the car will also be liable. Furthermore, if you loan your car to someone who is drunk or you know to be a drunk or reckless driver, that can establish liability on your part, too. That is a matter of statutory and case law. Do some states have laws making a drone user liable for whatever damage someone they let fly it causes? I don't know. I don't know the laws of every state, of course. If you know of such laws, please cite them.

Again, you have this confused and are making unsupported presumptions. Your presumptions, were they true, would have some logic to them. But that does make them true.

When I registered, they did not ask me if I even owned a drone, nor did they ask how many I had. The only thing I registered was my name, address and contact information. They gave ME a number to identify ME, and I put MY number on all my drones. I dont know what you are on about, Maybe you are talking part 107 maybe? I still stand by the FACTS I posted and you dont except.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc